Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX 450H The Hybrid that gets 20 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 08:26 PM
kkaufman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450H The Hybrid that gets 20 MPG

Got a new Lexus RX 450H. The only hybrid to get 20 MPG. It does everything except get good mileage. We have brought it to the dealer and told there is nothing they can do. Then we call Lexus and they say call your dealer. Nothing like buying a $60K car and being completely ignored. Do not buy the Lexus 450H. I have never had such bad service. Company does not stand by the car.

If you want to get a Hybrid that get 20MPG go to Lexus and pick one up
I may have not been clear on my original post. I do not doubt that the RX 450h can get the 30 MPG as advertised. The issue is that my RX 450h does not. My wife and I are in our late 40's and are always driving in Eco mode and try to milk max MPG for the vehicle.

The primary issue is Lexus refuses to help in any manner. I am not saying other RX 450h do not perform or am I attacking other people’s experiences. Just sharing mine and that Lexus has no interest in helping. I have went to dealer and called Lexus. Now they want me to jump from dealer to dealer to search for another dealership willing to resolve issue. Bottom line they do not stand by their car

Last edited by kkaufman; 07-11-11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-07-11, 08:38 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Too late, I already purchased my RX450h. A number of folks obtain higher MPG. It appears that you happen to be at the lower end of the normal curve for MPG.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...g-on-450h.html
Old 07-07-11, 08:58 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't blame the car, it's your driving style that need to adapt...
Old 07-07-11, 09:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ agreed. I had to change my driving style once I bought a hybrid. learn to coast more, and stay under half of the eco driving ring.
Old 07-08-11, 03:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There's also a break-in period. Mileage gets better after 5K. And yes, change the driving habits.
Old 07-08-11, 06:43 AM
mdv
Driver School Candidate

I have 10,000 miles on my 2010 RX450 and I have avg 28.5 mpg! I think it is a great car! I have on trips gotten over 31 mpg. So don't think it is the car!
Old 07-08-11, 06:53 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I think more information is needed. Is the OP driving 95% highway mileage, or 95% city driving and flooring it from every red light/stop sign and slamming on the brakes at the last minute? Also, are you using 93 octane fuel? Do you run the vehicle idle while you eat your lunch? Have you reset the average MPG at any point? Too many unanswered questions to blame it on the RX or the driver at this point.
Old 07-08-11, 07:06 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You won't get good gas mileage yet, it has to be broken in first. Wait till about 10k miles and then tell us how amazing your gas mileage...
Old 07-08-11, 08:36 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Op, do you want to trade your 450H to mine 350? I'll give you extra 5K cash. And also look at my Mph:

Old 07-08-11, 09:01 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kkaufman
Got a new Lexus RX 450H. The only hybrid to get 20 MPG. It does everything except get good mileage. We have brought it to the dealer and told there is nothing they can do. Then we call Lexus and they say call your dealer. Nothing like buying a $60K car and being completely ignored. Do not buy the Lexus 450H. I have never had such bad service. Company does not stand by the car.

If you want to get a Hybrid that get 20MPG go to Lexus and pick one up
First post?????

Do you really really own a 450H?
Old 07-08-11, 10:54 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
First post?????

Do you really really own a 450H?
He's so far off the mark, I think everyone fell for a story by someone that's sorry he didn't buy a 450h.
Old 07-08-11, 06:45 PM
WPALexus
Driver School Candidate

Default First Lexus

After reading the original post I thought I would finally register and post something in here. I have regularly browsed for information but just had to add some comments on this particular thread. I'm just approaching 1 year owning my RX450h and I still just absolutely LOVE this car. I also have a lead foot and even though I have adjusted my driving a bit, I do still drive fast and I have never registered anything under 24mph on a tank of gas and I'm pushing 15,000 miles now. I regularly get 28mph while going as high as 31. In fact my low of 24 was driving through the mountains on vacation with a loaded car and three bikes hanging off the back hitch.

No, it's not a Prius... but for what it is and as amazing as it is to ride in, it gets impressive gas mileage no matter how aggressive you drive it! Dave
Old 07-11-11, 11:44 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 450h FWD and my friend has the 450h AWD. I average the EPA expected 30 MPG and he gets 28 MPG. We have had to adjust our driving styles here in northern CA. It is very easy to knock a couple of MPG off those numbers by driving approach, but it would be tough to get down to 20 MPG. I would use the cars instantaneous mileage gauge to try and understand what is going on. If you start the car and don't drive off, but rather just sit and let it warm up you can easily knock a few MPG off short trips. Hitting the gas pedal aggressively to maintain or attain speed will kill mileage. Basically, find a guide online for driving a hybrid to check you driving approach. After ruling out driving approach and understanding how the car operates, it should be easy to return to the dealership and take the tech out for a drive. On freeways going a steady 60 MPH, you should see 28 MPG ... start with a few basics.
Old 07-11-11, 12:22 PM
kkaufman
Driver School Candidate

I may have not been clear on my original post. I do not doubt that the RX 450h can get the 30 MPG as advertised. The issue is that my RX 450h does not. My wife and I are in our late 40's and are always driving in Eco mode and try to milk max MPG for the vehicle.

The primary issue is Lexus refuses to help in any manner. I am not saying other RX 450h do not perform on attacking other people’s experiences. Just sharing mine that the Lexus has no interest in helping having me jump from dealer to dealer to resolve a potential problem.
Old 07-11-11, 01:30 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried to talk to dealer of letting you drive one of their loaner 450h for comparsion for a couple days?? or have shop foreman drive your 450h for a couple days so he can see for himself what kind of mileage the car is getting

Quick Reply: RX 450H The Hybrid that gets 20 MPG