Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Does your 450h sound like a Sewing Machine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-12, 11:42 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Does your 450h sound like a Sewing Machine

Does your RX450h sound like a Sewing Machine?

When music is off and you are cruising because of its quiet interior I hear these sewing machine noise, not pleasant at all. I prefer the sound of the RX350 better (at cruising).
Old 03-13-12, 02:42 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

No one experience this in their 450h? Is something wrong with my car?
Old 03-13-12, 02:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Nope, can't say I have.
Old 03-13-12, 04:44 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the quietest car I've ever owned. Maybe it's so quite you're hearing noises you wouldn't ordinarily hear.
Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Old 03-14-12, 11:26 AM
yeehawbob
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check on your wheels, sometimes a paperbag can get stuck there and makes the additional noise.

I am starting to notice the jet enginsk high pitch noise at cruising speeds and I am guessing that is normal.
Old 03-15-12, 06:33 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

This is weird. I will ask my SA to ride with me when I take it in for the 5k service.

Thanks all.
Old 03-15-12, 05:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

what does a sewing machine sound like? lol
Old 03-16-12, 08:25 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about a high pitch noise, it's the electric motor.
Old 03-20-12, 05:52 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Please pardon my English deficiency but how the heck could I describe the sound of the sewing machine? None of you or your spouse had ever used the sewing machine? It is NOT the high pitch but the sewing noise.
Old 03-20-12, 06:05 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Please pardon my English deficiency but how the heck could I describe the sound of the sewing machine? None of you or your spouse had ever used the sewing machine? It is NOT the high pitch but the sewing noise.
That's hysterical. It's perhaps my age, but I do remember the sound you describe (both at lower speed and when you put your foot down on the pedal which is distinctively higher). We have my grandmother's old sewing machine still in the closet. Don't ask when we last used it though.
Old 03-20-12, 08:13 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a first as far as inquiring about that sound affect/noise in a vehicle. I have never heard that noise in my 450h for sure at any speed. At least no one has asked you if it sounds more like a Singer, Brother, or Sears Kenmore model as far as the actual sewing machine sound effect.
Old 03-20-12, 10:23 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Starting with the 2010 Gen III version they went to the new 'Low Friction' engine that also uses the 0w20 w oil. One of the mechanical differences is they did away with the timing belt as well as others on the (h) model. If you're close, you can hear particularly when it's cold the timing chain inside. When it warms up you'll hardly hear it at all. Upside is no timing belt maintenance .
Does your RX450h sound like a Sewing Machine?

When music is off and you are cruising because of its quiet interior I hear these sewing machine noise, not pleasant at all. I prefer the sound of the RX350 better (at cruising).
Old 03-20-12, 02:10 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely no noise and perfect silence, but when you brake (I brake) I can hear the traditional sound of electrical cars (but which can be heard when music/radio is off).
Just to say it's not noisy at all. It can be heard when driving in a underground car parking, when there is no much car but you. But again, it's not a noise
Old 03-20-12, 03:14 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

I am going to talk to my SA about this when I bring it in for the 5k checkup. It not NOT the sound of the brake or when it is cold. Try this:

Turn off all music, AC, and close all windows, find a flat and quiet area and at cruising speed you can hear the "phantom" noise of the sewing machine.

May be my tires? I have the Dunlop.

Found this quote from:http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Eerily.....-a0261055915
Initial spurt from the throttle is encouraging enough, but you have to work the eco Lexus fairly hard in order to make it jump to attention - and this at the expense of some weird whine from the CVT transmission which sounds like an over-revved sewing machine.
Another quote from:http://www.familycar.com/roadtests/feedback.php?ID=37
The noise sounds like a light tappet noise or a small sewing machine. The dealer attempted to dampen the noise by placing some insulating material in the rear of the engine. This helped, but now has returned. The Lexus mechanic seems to think it has something to do with the ports. He hasn't come up with any answer, I think he has given up. I have ridden other Lexus LS460's and have not noticed the same noise. I think there is an issue with the engine. I am at my wits end as to what step to take from here. I love this dealership, but I am not happy with my LS 460

Last edited by GoHuskers; 03-20-12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-20-12, 03:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Anything stuck in the tires? A Bernina maybe, LOL!

Sorry I have the Dunlops too. They get lots of stones stuck in the tread. It could be a nail or screw too. Hope not.

Quick Reply: Does your 450h sound like a Sewing Machine