Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Replacing 12 v battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 01:38 PM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Replacing 12 v battery

I had to get my car jumped last night, which was rather difficult, until we found the post which is under the right (as you face the car) plastic cover in the engine compartment, and looks like a metal screw sticking up surrounded by fuses.

I was supposed to go on a road trip today, but no one in town has any battery listed as a replacement for the car.

I am going to try to see if an Optima can fit. Frustrated as I couldn't find anything from Dr. Google about replacing the 12 v battery on the car. It seems that this car really makes heavy demands on the 12v battery, with all the electronics, Nakamichi, and the fact that the engine shuts off and restarts at lights with no user input.

Any opinions about the best way to go with this? Anyone have the battery replaced? I did find one post here about the Panasonc battery from Lexus, but I wonder is there a better way to go?)

Thanks!
Old 02-19-12, 05:55 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I know that someone told me that the panasonic battery sold at the dealership isnt the tru panasonic battery, Im not sure but is there an autozone, pepboys, advanced auto parts or sears those would be my guesses but really not sure what you have on the East coast. Also can you post a pic of the place to jump the battery in the engine bay as I didnt even know that.
Old 02-20-12, 08:04 AM
hotkiss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine at 36k with a #3(if I rember it correctly) from Costco. Just pull off the cover and measure the battery. It's the exact same battery that Advanced Auto sells as their best model (same CCA and reserve both made by Johnson Controls) but is about $50 less. Just make sure to remove the temp sensor off the Panasonic battery and tape it on the new one. It's a round small dot silconed on. You also need to pull the vent hose off the sealed battery. I replaced my 12V battery cause my radar detector showed 10.3V with the enginr off but it was still working fine. The horn, windows and radio all worked fine with engine off. My MPG went up about 1~2 with the new battery and now reads 12.3~12.8V with the engine off even after watching 1/2 a DVD waiting for the wife to shop.
Old 02-20-12, 06:41 PM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by hotkiss
I replaced mine at 36k with a #3(if I rember it correctly) from Costco. Just pull off the cover and measure the battery. It's the exact same battery that Advanced Auto sells as their best model (same CCA and reserve both made by Johnson Controls) but is about $50 less. Just make sure to remove the temp sensor off the Panasonic battery and tape it on the new one. It's a round small dot silconed on. You also need to pull the vent hose off the sealed battery. I replaced my 12V battery cause my radar detector showed 10.3V with the enginr off but it was still working fine. The horn, windows and radio all worked fine with engine off. My MPG went up about 1~2 with the new battery and now reads 12.3~12.8V with the engine off even after watching 1/2 a DVD waiting for the wife to shop.
Did you do the replacement on the GS450H or the GS 350? I am very intimidated by the extra wires coming off the battery.

I haven't mastered the art of posting pictures yet. Maybe I can do it this weekend.

Looks like the Panasonic costs $488.92, wonder what they charge for the install and resetting ICS, etc?

Last edited by adamselene; 02-20-12 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 05:33 AM
hotkiss
Driver School Candidate

This is for the 12v battery in the driver's side of the trunk. It just has a rubber vent hose and a temp sensor that you pull off from under the black sticker on the battery. Just follow the wires. I have yet to replace the smaller battery under the trunk floor but that one looks the same. This is for a GS450h.
Old 02-21-12, 12:04 PM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hotkiss
This is for the 12v battery in the driver's side of the trunk. It just has a rubber vent hose and a temp sensor that you pull off from under the black sticker on the battery. Just follow the wires. I have yet to replace the smaller battery under the trunk floor but that one looks the same. This is for a GS450h.

Just got back from the dealer. Said my battery was fine, but low. Recharged it. (Don't know what good that does me in the long run).

Said there was no charging system problem.

Car went dead on a short trip to gas station near my home, and I did run the radio with the motor of for about five minutes, When I get the time, I will see what happens running the stereo for a while with the car off,
Old 02-21-12, 04:21 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've a number of options:
Buy a new battery
Buy a charger and leave it on for a couple of days
Have another garage test it, preferably with a Midtronics one to confirm its condition.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Midtronics/featured

Last edited by Boron; 02-21-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 04:54 PM
604GSh
Driver School Candidate

Is your car still under warrenty? It happened to me last month and Lexus got me a new panasonic battery swapped for no charge.
Old 02-24-12, 09:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSh
Is your car still under warrenty? It happened to me last month and Lexus got me a new panasonic battery swapped for no charge.
what year is your GSh?
Old 03-04-12, 10:03 PM
604GSh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Stormforge
what year is your GSh?
It's a 2009.
Old 03-05-12, 10:52 PM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Default interior light issue

My battery seems to be fine now.

I sort of dislike the way the interior lights are controlled by the overhead switch. there is a button with a "braille" bump on it that turns the interior lights on, then a button that turns them off, and then a button that links them with opening the door. (the outer buttons on each side are the reading type lamps that can go on with door opening or separate.

Anyway, the left light switch turns the lights on, and they stay on even if ignition is off. i wonder if this is how I ran my lights down.

I am carrying a jumper set in the trunk for now.

2008 GS450h.
And I still love the car.
Old 03-22-12, 10:44 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Default The most expensive battery known to man?

My '07 GS450h has been totally trouble-free since the day I bought it new, but three days ago the battery totally conked out. It wasn't even boostable, and even the hazard lights and horn wouldn't work. So I had the car towed to Lexus of Rockville. There I was informed that: 1) the battery needed replacement; 2) it is a very small battery (which I knew, having seen it already) and therefore very expensive; and that it would cost me $552 plus labor and tax. (total $627).

Just to be clear -- this is the regular 12V battery, not any hybrid battery (they checked out just fine)

I am floored. Didn't know any battery in the world cost this much. I certainly expect to replace the battery occasionally and actually feel that 57 months is good use, but wow, who knew it was that expensive?

Does anyone else have a similar experience to recount?
Old 03-22-12, 12:19 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

You could have run to Autozone and get a 12v battery. For under $100. That's what I did.
You were at the dealership though...They are much MUCH pricier.

I can even buy the Hybrid traction battery (BIG Trunk hogging battery) for less than what the dealer charges for it. $4200.00 new. Even carson has it for $4500.00+ Core charge.

Last edited by neurocity; 03-22-12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 01:50 PM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Wow. I expect dealers to mark things up a bit, but this is ridiculous.

Couldn't go to Autozone -- didn't think the problem was battery related, as the booster didn't even allow me to use the horn or hazard lights. Once at the dealer, I realized I'd pay a bit more for the battery, but 450% more??

I know there are dealer techs on this forum -- even Rockville Lexus techs. Please, explain why the humongous discrepancy between the prices. is the Autozone battery not as good? Is the quality RADICALLY different?
Old 03-22-12, 06:08 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

A dealer tech especially from the one that you went wouldn't speak up here.

The problem is that they put time into the car checking everything. If you walked in and said. "Hey, I need a new battery." it might be a different price. But you went in with the "WTF is wrong with my car?" mindset and this is the response.

You got a bill right? Scan it and post it.

Quick Reply: Replacing 12 v battery