Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

ISC resetting - Been to the circus and I seen the elephant; can't fool me no more

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 01:22 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcy
Also implying the engine will run more frequently at any given time.
"Implying" why? Such implication is entirely yours, and it's yet another nonsense.
Assume you're travelling on a highway for 100 miles, at 70mph constant (condition during which the ICE runs 100% of the time): the only way known to mankind which allows you to keep the car going at the same speed for the last 20 miles with the ICE not running is by towing it.

Last edited by spacecraft; 01-22-13 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-22-13, 08:16 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you paid any attention to your hybrid while driving? Specifically, the display (if you have NAV). Even on the highway at 70mph the ICE shuts off. Downhill - off, lift your foot off the gas - off, coast - off. These are all situations where the ICE might not shut off if the ISC reset is not done. I saw it all the time on the highway in vibrant colour on the NAV display.

Aside from that, driving in the city is where ANY hybrid picks up it's fuel economy compared to a non hybrid. If you bought your hybrid hoping to save fuel and the majority of your driving is on the highway, you didn't do your research (yes, research..maybe pick up a FSM and do some or print the TSB and find a Toyota technician that knows what he or she is doing). In the city without the ISC reset is when the engine runs at the slightest touch of the gas pedal or continues to run at a stop light etc., when it should shut down will cost you in fuel economy.

As to implying. For once, you're correct. I used the wrong word. Read the TSB - it's not implied, it's obvious.
Old 01-22-13, 09:38 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcy
Have you paid any attention to your hybrid while driving? Specifically, the display (if you have NAV). Even on the highway at 70mph the ICE shuts off. Downhill - off, lift your foot off the gas - off, coast - off.
Have you paid attention to what I wrote? I said CONSTANT 70mph, ffs. No coast, no foot lift.
Apologies if I didn't specify no down/uphill, it was just a very simple example and I couldn't have thought that you might have found a way to argue also about it.

Originally Posted by rcy
Read the TSB - it's not implied, it's obvious.
Obvious?
"This procedure allows the ICE to relearn its optimal idle speed during the initial engine warm-up cycle or charging the HV battery".
Feel free to think that this OBVIOUSLY means that the ICE can run 20% less at any given time, if you wish.
From my part I give up, before I'll loose the will to live.
Old 01-22-13, 09:47 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecraft
Have you paid attention to what I wrote? I said CONSTANT 70mph, ffs. No coast, no foot lift.
Apologies if I didn't specify no down/uphill, it was just a very simple example and I couldn't have thought that you might have found a way to argue also about it.

Obvious?
"This procedure allows the ICE to relearn its optimal idle speed during the initial engine warm-up cycle or charging the HV battery".
Feel free to think that this OBVIOUSLY means that the ICE can run 20% less at any given time, if you wish.
From my part I give up, before I'll loose the will to live.

Good luck with your hybrid experience. You have a lot to learn.