Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Lexus RX 450h is a treat to drive

Old 12-18-11, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Lexus RX 450h is a treat to drive

http://clintonherald.com/cnhins/x161...treat-to-drive

Nice simple review of the RXh!

By Len Ingrassia
CNHI News Service

CLINTON — If only for the sound of silence interrupted occasionally by a voice-controlled navigation system or the symphonic notes of a 12-speaker audio system, this Lexus is just what you’d want under the tree this season.

And although its hybrid technology is a fuel saver, you will have to determine if it’s worth the extra $5,000 over its gasoline-powered sibling.

The 2011 Lexus RX 450h is top-rated in the luxury crossover SUV segment with no price point competitors. Nice position to be in and sales reflect the advantage.

A walk around the 450h shows little variation from its makeover last year. Rear side mounted hybrid badges are the only hint that there is a pair of electric motors for front and rear wheel propulsion and a third motor to power accessories including a generator and starter, along with a 3.5-liter V6 engine. Together they produce 295 horsepower, 20 more than the gasoline model.

If you are a fan of the RX model, and there were 57,000 sold through the third quarter this year, you will be right at home with the hybrid.

There is one trim level available. The cabin is filled with posh refinements that you’d expect in a $45,000 premium car, some optional and most standard including a center console mounted, mouse-like electronics interface that replaces touch-screen commands, eight airbags, 10-way power driver and passenger seats, real wood interior and a Safety Connect that automatically notifies emergency personnel of a collision and location if stolen. No third row seating is available.

Adaptive front headlamps, first on the scene in the 1949 Tucker as a means to see around corners, are part of an option package that includes LED headlamps with separate washers.

Fuel saving is enticing in these days of rising prices and the Lexus offers impressive numbers. Newest EPA testing methods rate the 450h at 30 mpg in city driving and 28 on the open road and those numbers were accurate in both interstate and local driving during test week.

An “EV” mode is driver controlled and offers low speed, electric propulsion-only travel up to 30 miles per hour during short trips. A continuously variable transmission, standard fare on all models, delivers the sensation of shift-less propulsion and, together they offer an extremely quiet ride.

Of course individual driving habits will impact all of this potential for better fuel economy. An even, slow acceleration from stops will yield highest mileage and the opposite is true too.

You can watch the net result of your driving habits on a small graphic display that shows real time electric or gas engine propulsion. Much of the time both electric and gas combine for delivery.

A rear mounted camera shows a full color view while in reverse gear of whatever is behind the car. Nice safety feature.

Think of this Lexus as a type of station wagon that is nearly a crossover vehicle with a comfy custom furniture showroom interior and a high perch to view traffic all around.
Old 12-21-11, 08:42 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the RX has 10 airbags, not 8, and it most certainly cannot go to 30 mph in EV mode
Old 12-21-11, 09:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Josh, I'm not sure about the EV mode, I don't use that function but I routinely drive the last two miles home at speeds up to 42mph on battery only just using a light touch on the throttle. Acceleration is pretty slow from the 4way (to keep the ICE from starting) but doable if no one is behind me. And still a lot of battery showing when I get home.
Originally Posted by RXSF
the RX has 10 airbags, not 8, and it most certainly cannot go to 30 mph in EV mode
Old 12-21-11, 02:32 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh yeah, if you gently use the throttle, I think 45-50mph is the limit before the engine kicks in automatically regardless of throttle. But in actual EV mode, you cant get past 27mph I think

Last edited by RXSF; 12-21-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-22-11, 09:10 AM
alvinfaye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ev mode

My RX 450 manual says up to 37 mph on ev mode?
Old 12-22-11, 01:57 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've not figured out the point of using it (EV mode). I can maintain 40mph on flat road with just a gentle touch on the throttle. And I don't know why but since my 30k, I've been able to go to 42 or 43. You do have to keep the needle below the middle mark on the power gauge.
Originally Posted by alvinfaye
My RX 450 manual says up to 37 mph on ev mode?

Last edited by Cruiter; 12-22-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling