Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Subtle brake problem.

Old 11-30-11, 11:49 AM
DocCP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subtle brake problem.

I have recently bought a second hand 2008 RX400h. No need to tell the other forum users how splendid the car is,
However a slight problem har surfaced and I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same thing:
When braking gently, after a very short period of retarding the car, the braking effect is markedly reduced in spite of constant pedal-pressure. (More or less like when the ABS engages on very icy surface. Applying more pressure to the pedal increases the braking effect, but particularly when driving on icy conditions this is annoying as you dont know or feel if its the ABS or the strange effect described causiong the reduced braking effect.

Any experiences / suggestions would be appreciated. The Norwegian dealer hasnt found any fault.
Old 11-30-11, 12:56 PM
jtaylor3
Rookie

I haven't driven my RX400h on snow or ice yet, but in the dry/wet, I haven't experienced anything like that.

However, with my IS-F, if I drive it into my garage with slush on the ground, the anti-lock brake system freaked out and the pedal went to the floor with no braking action. I had to use the e-brake to stop the car.

It was pretty scary at the time, especially the first time it happened!

Jeff
08 RX400h
Old 11-30-11, 02:49 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a known quirk of the hybrid system. What is happening is the system is using the electric motors for braking (regenerative braking). When you hit the icy patch and it decides a wheel is in imminent danger of locking up, it must switch from the regenerative braking (electric motors) to the tradionial brakes (calipers and rotors) due to the need for ABS.

In that split second of changeover, there is a period of reduced braking. Lexus/Toyota state it's normal, but it is disconcerting. You will also notice this same effect if you travel over a decent sized bump while braking. I think with bumps, the system thinks a wheel is locked up as the weight over the wheel hitting the bump is removed. It then transfers braking from the electric motors to the calipers and you notice a loss of braking just as you crest the bump.

More people have noticed this on bumps than ice. Once you get used to it, you'll find it easier to deal with. The key is not to panic and release the brake pedal, just brake as normal and let the system sort itself out.

I don't know why Toyota can't come up with a software flash to address this situation. Something as simple as keeping the regenerative braking engaged a bit longer until the regular brakes engage fully.

***By the way, you should probably post any hybrid specific questions in the Hybrid forum***
Old 12-01-11, 11:09 AM
DocCP
Driver School Candidate

I´m sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Its my first thread and I should obviously have read the "forum manual"
Old 12-01-11, 01:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

No harm done. I wonder if the RX H has regenerative brakes. Does it?
Old 12-01-11, 01:59 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes the RX400h does. I think all hybrids utilize regenerative braking.
Old 12-01-11, 05:35 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

moving to the hybrid forum for more "traffic"
Old 12-01-11, 05:39 PM
1100HP
Driver

Very interesting. Probably scares the crap out of you the first time it happnes.
Old 12-02-11, 10:34 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now you mention it, I too have felt it once and even though it was not a panic situation, I wondered why. Tried to get it to do it again and could not. Now I know. Thanks for the first post on a very interesting topic.
Old 12-05-11, 12:52 PM
DocCP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kickin8
moving to the hybrid forum for more "traffic"
Thanks for moving the thread.
I appreciate that this has happened occasionally for some of you. For me its a daily occurrence.
The reduced braking effect is subtle but definately noticable, and the only thing you have to do is to increase the pressure on the pedal. The only problem is that it mimicks the effect and feeling you get when ABS is activated on icy roads. (We get that a lot in Norway) So when it happens you dont know for sure what is what and your instincts are tricked.
Old 12-10-11, 07:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I get a really strange sound somegtimes, sounds like a gurling and pop on my rx400h , definetely related to brakes, you hear it after pulling into garage and stopped before going into park....does anybody else get these weirrd noises?