Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 06:22 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

RCY you hit it, they found a blown fuse and needed to calibrate the Steering Center and yaw adjustment....I am so happy, funny I called and told them about possible calibration....maybe that cued them in. here is old pump
the blown fuse was for the water pump....
Attached Thumbnails Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault-p1180690.jpg  

Last edited by thomas1; 12-01-11 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 06:36 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Really glad it's working out for you and not the traction batteries. Can't say none at all have failed but the success rate for them is pretty phenomenal so far. But then Lexus is supposed to be isn't it ?
Originally Posted by thomas1
RCY you hit it, they found a blown fuse and needed to calibrate the Steering Center and yaw adjustment....I am so happy, funny I called and told them about possible calibration....maybe that cued them in. here is old pump
Old 11-29-11, 08:28 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

I am still confused by the pump part number, on my lexus now parts list it doesnt say whether this pump is for tow or no tow package...yet it is the last pump listed, could have got it for $167, however not sure about circulating the coolent in the inverter after changing the pump and adding more. Has anyone done a do it yourself coolant change on the inverter? I took pump apart, kind of bad design on the bearing (telfon or something) that supports the mass of the impeller which is heavy because it has the magnet for the motor built into it. Looks like it may have wobbled and hit side of pump case which is plastic. There is also a circuit board on the bottom of the assembly which is sealed by some weird clay like material...
I guess the prius hybrid has a lot of these pumps failing, as there was a tsb on them...apparently not on the RX400h....Oh well now everyone knows the codes for a pump failure...P0A05, P0A93

Last edited by thomas1; 11-29-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 07:23 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Here is picture of inside pump, note the impeller is part of motor as it is the magnet....The bearing is in the middle of impeller and is very small. the impeller is heavy and probably started to wobble on the worn bearing causing its failure....
Attached Thumbnails Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault-inverter-pump.jpg  
Old 11-30-11, 02:58 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I am still confused by the pump part number, on my lexus now parts list it doesnt say whether this pump is for tow or no tow package...yet it is the last pump listed, could have got it for $167, however not sure about circulating the coolent in the inverter after changing the pump and adding more. Has anyone done a do it yourself coolant change on the inverter? I took pump apart, kind of bad design on the bearing (telfon or something) that supports the mass of the impeller which is heavy because it has the magnet for the motor built into it. Looks like it may have wobbled and hit side of pump case which is plastic. There is also a circuit board on the bottom of the assembly which is sealed by some weird clay like material...
I guess the prius hybrid has a lot of these pumps failing, as there was a tsb on them...apparently not on the RX400h....Oh well now everyone knows the codes for a pump failure...P0A05, P0A93
Draining and refilling looks simple enough, and I'm a DIY'er for most things. However, on a $5000 part, I think I'd just let the dealer handle it. Mind you, I changed the tranny fluid myself and that's also a $5000 part. Still, I woudn't want to get an air pocket anywhere in there....the coolant also cools the electric motors for the tranny..
Old 12-01-11, 04:42 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I agree, apparently they use the scanner to cycle the pump on the inverter....I guess the same goes for the brake fluid....
Old 12-01-11, 07:21 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

When it comes to the inverter, starting the vehicle should start the inverter cooling pump. It seems to me that it runs all the time as long as the car is on. So I imagine you could fill it as best you could, then turn the car on and let the pump circulate the fluid and top up as necessary as the circulation pushed out any air pockets.

When it comes to the brakes, since there is no direct mechanical connection to the hydraulic system (unlike a traditional vehicle where the brake pedal is connected to the vacuum booster), you need to cycle the electric motors that create pressure in the system. So, you can't bleed the brakes in the traditional way (bleed bolt at caliper and stepping on the brake pedal OR any other way like placing a pressure bleeder on the master cylinder). They can only be bled by cycling the electric motor.
Old 01-24-12, 05:44 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

So if you were to turn the engine on and try bleeding would that cycle the motors....
Old 01-25-12, 11:34 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

You would think that would work, and I've considered doing that myself (but haven't).

I will tell you that the service manual specifically states to use the diagnostic computer to cycle the pumps. If it was as easy as turning the ignition on and then pumping the brake pedal, I would think they would mention that method in the service manual.

Dunno, but for peace of mind, I'll just let the dealer do it (and usually I'm a die hard DIY'er)
Old 04-02-14, 07:18 PM
08taxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2008 RX400H Won't Start

Last week I sat in my car with the radio on for about 45 minutes without the car running. When I went to start it up I got error messages to check the VSC and several warning lights lit up before entirely going dead. After getting a jump, it started fine and its been a week. By the way, the battery was replaced in 2011. A week later, I was waiting in the car for about an hour without the key in the ignition and when I went to start it up, it won't start until the 3rd try. Today, I go to back up and the camera is black with a rolling line through it. My car only has 68k miles and is out of warranty, but I expected a Lexus to more reliable than this. Very disappointed in the quality of a Lexus. :
Old 04-03-14, 05:58 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Go to Costco or Walmart and buy their best battery.. This is a old and known problem with the Dealer batteries.
Old 04-03-14, 09:30 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 08taxi
Last week I sat in my car with the radio on for about 45 minutes without the car running. When I went to start it up I got error messages to check the VSC and several warning lights lit up before entirely going dead. After getting a jump, it started fine and its been a week. By the way, the battery was replaced in 2011. A week later, I was waiting in the car for about an hour without the key in the ignition and when I went to start it up, it won't start until the 3rd try. Today, I go to back up and the camera is black with a rolling line through it. My car only has 68k miles and is out of warranty, but I expected a Lexus to more reliable than this. Very disappointed in the quality of a Lexus. :
You have a bad 12 volt battery. Low voltage causes all sorts of odd problems. They die every 3 years in my experience.
Old 04-03-14, 01:43 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smassey321
They die every 3 years in my experience.
It depends on how you use them.
I'm still on the original batter on my '08 RX, and it's flawless.
It's simply a matter of using it for what it's meant, i.e. put the car in ready mode, nothing else.
Old 02-07-15, 10:55 AM
myhybrid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check hybrid system

I started my 2006 RX400h today and the check hybrid system and check vsc lights came on. It was very cold so I waited until it warmed up and the check vsc light was off but the check hybrid system light was still on. I recently had the navigation system updated DVD put in and had the timing belt changed. I have not had the IPM recall corrected. Any thoughts? Is it safe to drive it to Lexus or should I have it towed?
Old 02-10-15, 06:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

myhybrid, did you get it too lexus dealership? What happened.

Quick Reply: Check Hybrid, Check VSC, Check Brake system fault