Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Scared the crap out of myself

Old 10-11-11, 06:21 AM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scared the crap out of myself

I am sitting on a small back road in Milford Mass, waiting to cross a two lane minor highway. As I am waiting (about a minute) the gas engine shuts down, and I did not think to much of it, as it does that. In about another 30 seconds, I see a small gap in the traffic coming on my left, and I get ready to rabbit across the highway. Once the gap arrives, I press the accelerator down, the car moves forward, but then hesitates in the middle of highway and then the gas engine starts up, and I get to the other side. Not that it was a close call, but having done this maneuver nearly every day for the last 10 years, it was unexpected, and I thought, "Oh no, I'm going to wreck my wife's new car"

Have you folks experienced this? is there I way to force the engine to stay running so you can expect full power if needed?
Old 10-11-11, 06:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No. And I've never heard of that happening. I'd suggest you go ASAP to the dealer and explain the event. See what they say, it's definitely not anything I've ever heard of with a hybrid.

Originally Posted by Rockridge
I am sitting on a small back road in Milford Mass, waiting to cross a two lane minor highway. As I am waiting (about a minute) the gas engine shuts down, and I did not think to much of it, as it does that. In about another 30 seconds, I see a small gap in the traffic coming on my left, and I get ready to rabbit across the highway. Once the gap arrives, I press the accelerator down, the car moves forward, but then hesitates in the middle of highway and then the gas engine starts up, and I get to the other side. Not that it was a close call, but having done this maneuver nearly every day for the last 10 years, it was unexpected, and I thought, "Oh no, I'm going to wreck my wife's new car"

Have you folks experienced this? is there I way to force the engine to stay running so you can expect full power if needed?
Old 10-11-11, 11:12 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

if it stops giving you power even though you have the accelerator pedal pushed down then something is definitely wrong.
Old 10-11-11, 11:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had that "fear of hesitation" for a week or so until I became accustomed to the workings of the hybrid. However, you should have it checked out as we don't want you to wreck your "wife's new car" and more importantly we don't want anyone hurt.
Old 10-11-11, 12:18 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe your wife drives with a light foot

I'd try it again without vehicles to dodge and see if it happens again. The 450h does have an ever so slight hesitation but not enough to make you feel like your life is in danger. Good luck.
Old 10-11-11, 09:25 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

from the OP's post, it made me thought that the car moved forward and then in the middle of the intersection lost power. Maybe I interpreted incorrectly.

However, either way, there shouldnt be that long of a hesitation from starting off.
Old 10-12-11, 12:43 PM
Rockridge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I will try to reproduce the problem, the next time she let's me drive it.