Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2011 RX450h vs Highlander Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 10:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
Someone posted a link on the RX board several weeks ago that discussed the Toyota hybrid in detail. It described why the Toyota hybrid is referred to as the a "true hybrid". It then compared it to some of the other hybrid designs out there.

If I remember correctly it has something to do with the fact that Toyota does not use what we consider a "typical" transmission and the lack of a mechanical connection between the engine and the drive wheels.
Most other automakers like Mercedes, Honda, some American makes use a system that we now refer to as "mild hybrids" because they cant run on electric power alone. The engine and electric motor work in conjunction all the time.

However, I think he was using the term "true hybrid" to refer to a car that gets very good mpg numbers. I cant even imagine what my gas bill would be like if I got 50 mpg
Old 09-16-11, 02:47 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ thanks RXSF. you hit the nail in the head.

when people talk about Hybrid cars.. they're most likely referring to how many miles per gallon or Liters/ gallon the " hybrid car" can give you.
And that's the main reason why MOST people buy Toyota Prius, Honda Insight, Honda Civic Hybrid etc. etc.

Now let's look at the BMW ActiveHybrid X6. price tag of around $ 89,000 and can get you city 17mpg/ highway 19mpg..
hmmm.... my RX 350 can bet better milage than that even though it's not a hybrid.

Old 09-16-11, 03:44 PM
RXSF

lol bmw is using their hybrids for making a statement. The LS600h is a hybrid like that too. 438 horsepower, I think mpg numbers in the low 20s for $110,000. whats the point right?

well it is an unbelievably smooth power train and since the LS is already a silent tomb on wheels, the hybrid system makes it that much more silent.
Old 09-16-11, 09:51 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol bmw is using their hybrids for making a statement. The LS600h is a hybrid like that too. 438 horsepower, I think mpg numbers in the low 20s for $110,000. whats the point right?
What about the GSh, extra motors for performance.
Old 09-16-11, 09:54 PM
RXSF

^^ certainly. In fact, when Lexus introduced hybrids to their line up, it was well known that they werent truly doing it for mpg numbers. It acted as turbos to a car, and as a plus, mpg numbers would not be affected with the extra horsepower and instant torque. We can see the current GS450h which has 343 horsepower but gets a mediocre 22mpg. The new GS450h coming next year will have the same horsepower, but supposedly at least 30mpg. Lexus is definitely changing their strategy.
Old 09-18-11, 09:31 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reasons for buying a hybrid (gasoline and not diesel hybrid)?:
- average consumption
- lowest emission
- image of SUV's and starting to show others that this environmental behavior is important and a starting story for us and children.
Now, the economy of gasoline is not so tremendous of course but however, driving a hybrid has positive effects: driving cool i.e. not aggressively (because of the silence we want to maintain in the car and listening this amazing ML surround audio system) and because of saving gasoline and reduce emissions as much as possible. It's also a question of new trends.

If we compare the recent SUV's on the market (Europe) Porsche Cayenne h and VW Touareg h looking at the average consumption admitted by their drivers and not the manufacturer and the media, the question of buying such a hybrid car does not make sense compare with a "normal gasoline SUV's (sorry for the data in metrics ...around 10 (VW to 14l/100km for Porsche Cayenne while the Lexus RX450h can reach quite easily 7l/100km (see my personnel consumption this Summer

and avarage consumption is now 7,83l/100km with 5'000km.

Lexus is 10 years ahead with hybrid systems (and quite advanced with plug-in systems) compared with the others but full electrical cars are now in the starting blocks and this is the new challenge for Lexus and new trends for the public.
Old 09-18-11, 11:37 AM
RXSF

electric cars simply do not make sense today. Range is too little and we dont have the infrastructure to support them. I would certainly buy one though once battery technology and infrastructure can catch up. That is why hybrid cars make so much sense.
Old 09-18-11, 12:05 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

well it is an unbelievably smooth power train and since the LS is already a silent tomb on wheels, the hybrid system makes it that much more silent.
I am not sure if it just me, but in my test drive of the 600h, under light acceleration at around 20 MPH, with both power sources running, the resulting mechanical noise is no where close to the smooth burbles of other V8 only Lexus vehicles.

I totally in agrement when the car was under electric only, or under normal/heavy acceleration.
Old 09-18-11, 01:58 PM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If 480km one way is not enough how much km do you range with one tank?
Tesla model S is now being sold (let's say within 1 to 2 years it will be available and Toyota is testing a small SUV with Tesla... do you want to know what is coming on soon?

Infrastructres: yes it's right but it is coming and within 5 years it will be more develpped than expected.

We have about 3 to 5 models coming in 2012 being sold in Europe market (fully electrical cars with about 160km range one full charge). Average distance driven by citizens in France is 25kms a day. Electical cars within cities make a lot of sense! think about it and chage your mind (just imagine how much emission saved, petrol saved, noise avoided, pollution avoided and money saved as well!).

It is only the starting era we are now facing (a long way to go but unavoidable).

Last edited by Alpy64; 09-18-11 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-18-11, 04:39 PM
RXSF

I am in support of electric cars. I am very much impressed with the ones on the market now such as the Nissan Leaf which has a range of about 70 miles on average. Yes that is enough for city driving but we rely so much on driving in the US that a second car would be a must for most households.

And I am not completely sold on bettery technology. Trapping electricity into a small container is like locking a lion in a small cage. It just doesn't work that well. Bad in extreme climates, uncertain life cycle time, and recycling are all issues we have to tackle first.

In the meantime I'll stick with my hybrid car. The plug in Prius set to debut next year should be interesting though
Old 09-19-11, 09:33 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only electric car on the market NOW that will work is the Chevy Volt.
Plug in and gas motor for backup.
Old 09-19-11, 10:43 AM
RXSF

^^ too bad it looks like ****
Old 09-19-11, 10:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I agree. It's going to take a lot more than the Volt to make me go electric.
Old 09-19-11, 06:14 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem I see with the hybrid and the electric cars ( Prius plug in, Nissan leaf, chevy volt) is the very steep price. A middle class family looking for their car, a new graduate about to enter the work force dont have the dough to pay for such luxury.
Most of the Nissan leaf owners that I know ( who waited patiently since 2010) have other cars beside the leaf.

Even a $5/gallon gas won't persuade anyone to pay 30 grand just to save gas.
It's a simple math.

Unless these electric cars go down in price like low 20's, we won't be seeing the middle class buying them anytime soon.
Even though I'm a Prius owner, I welcome the introduction of the Honda Insight. Just a little below $20,000, it can be a consideration for anyone buying a car.
Old 09-19-11, 09:40 PM
RXSF

you can lease a new prius now for $239/month. But yes, bravo to Honda for releasing a hybrid that sees the one - nine, even if it is just a few dollars short of 20K. As with all things, the first people to get them will pay a higher price but eventually the cost will drop down significantly. It takes those few people who have to pay a little more to get the ball rolling. Solar panels are a great example

that said, the insight isnt selling well at all. Consumers can see through the low price tag and often opt for the prius. The insight has less hp and still gets less mpg than the prius...

Quick Reply: 2011 RX450h vs Highlander Hybrid