Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Adaptive radar cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 06:51 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear you RXSF. I know that you know HEAPS more than me...

However the statement from Lexus ( http://media.lexus.eu/News/Pages/new...s/default.aspx) -near the bottom of the page - is misleading then:

Quote: If the driver does not brake and a collision is inevitable, Pre-Crash Brake will automatically apply the brakes to reduce impact speed ....Unquote:

Last edited by x10civ; 08-13-11 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 08-14-11, 10:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

That is very interesting.

This is what it says on the US website for the RX.

"A front-mounted millimeter-wave radar sensor on the available Pre-Collision System (PCS) [1] constantly monitors the distance and closing speed of a vehicle traveling ahead. When the system's computer determines that a frontal collision is unavoidable, the PCS preemptively retracts the front seatbelts and preps the Brake Assist [2] for increased braking pressure the moment the driver steps on the brake pedal."
Notice how on the RX, it is called Pre collision system" while in the LS, it is called "Advanced Pre collision"

this is what they have to say about the advanced

The world's first available Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) [1] with Driver Attention Monitor [1] uses an infrared camera that is designed to monitor the direction of the driver's face while the vehicle is in motion. The system can warn the driver and, if necessary, gently apply the brakes to alert the driver if an object is detected ahead while the driver is facing away from the road. Once a collision is determined to be unavoidable, the system then preps the Brake Assist [2] for increased braking effectiveness once the brakes are applied. It can also retract the front seatbelts as well as apply the brakes to help reduce collision damage.
I dont know who is correct
Old 08-15-11, 03:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I guess there's only one way to find out how PCS works on the RX. Any volunteers
Seabone726 (03-20-20)
Old 08-15-11, 12:21 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like someone has already tested it .....

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2010/01/2...review-week-5/

Half way down the page it says..

Quote: (Still, there are some crazy people out there, which lead to a first-hand experience with the Active Safety system. After another driver swerved in front of me merging onto the highway, I heard a sharp beep and felt a deep response from the brakes along with what I thought was the seatbelt tightening. The RXh had me instantly prepared for a possible collision by amplifying my own reactions and reading the situation perfectly. Considering my expectation that the Active Safety system would feel intrusive and robotically harsh, I was especially impressed with its assistance.) Unquote
Old 08-15-11, 01:08 PM
RXSF

so it doesnt brake itself...?

The RXh had me instantly prepared for a possible collision by amplifying my own reactions
Old 08-15-11, 01:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That sounds like what happened to me. The brakes felt like I could have stopped the RX dead in its tracks. The seat belts definitely tightened up. No beep though.
Old 08-15-11, 05:47 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remembered a few years back(like '05, '06, '07), when Lexus hosted those free test drive events. They allowed you to go crazy on their cars. So I did and all the cars started beeping on unsafe situations.
Old 09-04-13, 08:28 AM
Three60guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radar Cruise Control

Hi everyone. First post here after a RX450H road test yesterday. Will be ordering one with Radar Cruise Control (RCC) for sure as soon as my dealer is able to order a 2014.

Here is why I am ordering the RCC for the RX:

Last year my wife and I purchased a 2012 Prius Hybrid Plug-in Advanced version. It has RCC built in. I can tell you I will never purchase a vehicle again without it. It is responsible for cutting in half the amount of stress you feel driving long distances.

We go to Florida a couple times a year. I can remember a couple of years ago (prior to getting our Prius) on our trip to Florida in Indiana on I-65 (and of course other places) the amount of time spent going back and forth between the brake and accelerator as the normal flow of traffic occurs. Instead, the RCC just reduced and increased the speed of my Prius as the flow occurred. I never had to put my feet on either the brake or accelerator once between Chicago and Indianapolis. It was fantastic. If the flow slowed down so did my car. Once the flow started to increase in speed, my car did too. All I had to do was concentrate on the steering. It made for a truly improved freeway driving experience. Translated, that means a whole lot less stress.

So, bottom line, when I get the opportunity to order my RX-450h it will come with RCC for sure. Combined with all the other features of the 450h, I can't wait to drive it to Florida.

Cheers
Seabone726 (03-18-20)
Old 11-22-13, 05:13 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not here to disagree - but it is confusing the way Lexus describes this feature. Take a look at the 2014 RX brochure: http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/v2/...X-Brochure.pdf

Below is a copy/paste from page 12 of the brochure (text bolded by me):

PRE-COLLISION SYSTEM
To help you prepare for and, if possible, avoid potential collisions, an available
Pre-Collision System17 is designed to watch the road ahead for obstacles and warns you
of their presence with beeps and visible indications. It can even begin braking automatically to help reduce impact energy.
Old 11-22-13, 08:33 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Also note on the Lexus.com website that PCS provides braking for all RX's EXCEPT the AWD RX 450h. WHY? I have no clue and nobody at corporate for my dealer can tell me. Is it a mistake on the website or does it truly not brake itself? The manual shows a PCS button that supposedly enables or disables the PCS Braking feature. I just placed an order for a 2014 450h AWD with PCS, but I'm going to assume it will not automatically apply the brakes, just prepare me for impact and hope that I actually press the brake.
(http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/features/ - go to Safety and scroll down to the PCS section).

Last edited by Mors; 11-22-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 06:43 PM
RXSF

yeah, auto braking was added on 2014 models. Not sure why the RX awd would not get it.
Old 11-25-13, 09:35 AM
Three60guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up AWD with PCS? YES

Hey everyone

As someone who ordered an AWD and PCS with Radar Adaptive Cruise Control I can tell you that my car is absolutely coming with the Pre-Collision System.

My dealer mailed me a document called "Vehicle Inquiry Report". It gives all sorts of interesting information on it. It even has the name of the ship that carried the car from Japan to the West Coast. But the most informative is a complete listing of what is included on the vehicle.

The line in question says "Pre-Collision Sys w/Radar Adaptive Cruise Con includes Pre-Brake and Forward Collision Warn"

Also

Concerning AWD, the report said "On-Demand All-Wheel Drive".

So, the way I read it PCS does in fact come with All Wheel Drive. The only difference is with AWD is on demand instead of it being available all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Seabone726 (04-03-20)
Old 11-25-13, 10:04 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Three60guy
Hey everyone

As someone who ordered an AWD and PCS with Radar Adaptive Cruise Control I can tell you that my car is absolutely coming with the Pre-Collision System.

My dealer mailed me a document called "Vehicle Inquiry Report". It gives all sorts of interesting information on it. It even has the name of the ship that carried the car from Japan to the West Coast. But the most informative is a complete listing of what is included on the vehicle.

The line in question says "Pre-Collision Sys w/Radar Adaptive Cruise Con includes Pre-Brake and Forward Collision Warn"

Also

Concerning AWD, the report said "On-Demand All-Wheel Drive".

So, the way I read it PCS does in fact come with All Wheel Drive. The only difference is with AWD is on demand instead of it being available all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thanks - I just ordered a 450h AWD with PCS just last week so I still have some time before I get mine. Still unsure if it actually will apply the brakes for you. Guess I'll have to test it some time with a cardboard box in front of it (just give me 3-6 months to get my car first).
Old 06-14-15, 11:46 AM
llocur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell if my '06 RX330 has Adaptive Cruise?

How can I tell if my '06 RX330 has Adaptive Cruise? I need a bumper cover (front & rear).
Old 06-14-15, 12:07 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by llocur
How can I tell if my '06 RX330 has Adaptive Cruise? I need a bumper cover (front & rear).
Your Gen2 RX does not have it. PCS did not exist back on 2006 models.

FYI: You're certainly welcome here, but you're in the Gen3 Forum (2010-2015). You may want to check out the 2nd Gen RX Forum for more info on your 2006. Good luck!
Seabone726 (04-03-20)