Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

I hope I can keep this up :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 11:37 PM
ecub
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope I can keep this up :D

So I was able to manage 35mpg on a full tank (Shell Premium), which is my 3rd tank fill up. This is driving in a suburban city (Naperville, IL) going back home, taking a local road (75th street). Distance was about 30 miles. It was late, around 11pm, so there wasn't that much traffic, but still some cars for me to drive ahead of. I drove, somewhat conservative, not being a lead footed driver as I normally am and not too slow that people were honking their horns at me as they passed me up. When I did drive a little less conservative, I was able to achieve about 28mpg. I'm just hoping I can improve.

I read on other posts that lower octane fuel can achieve lower mpg. I am wondering if this station happens to be truer to their 92 octane rating. This may explain why I was getting about 28mpg on my 2nd tank , also Shell Premium local to where I live. Throughout my drive on the 2nd tank, I wasn't able to get close to 30mpg.

I guess those getting low mpg, fill up with Premium at a different gas station.
Attached Thumbnails I hope I can keep this up :D-imag0127.jpg  
Old 08-02-11, 11:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont think it was the gas in particular, but it may have just been more ideal conditions that let you achieve the great gas mileage. As you probably have noticed, you need to keep the needle under half the of the green area so that the car stays in electric mode
Old 08-03-11, 08:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ecub, great mileage there. You're pretty lucky getting that from the start. I use Shell Premium too, it's 93 octane here. And I have to agree about changing stations. There are three Shell stations near me. I stick with one even though they might not be the cheapest. I was wondering if I needed to go to a different station with the last tank. I lost a few MPGs. But I tried again and so far so good with the current tank. If it happens again, I will.
Old 08-03-11, 09:50 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dont think it was the gas in particular, but it may have just been more ideal conditions that let you achieve the great gas mileage. As you probably have noticed, you need to keep the needle under half the of the green area so that the car stays in electric mode
wow, that's hard to do for me (keeping needle under half of the green area). big city driving, you're gonna get honked for going so slow. unfortunately, i'm an impatient driver, and my needle is almost always in the white area when accelerating!
Old 08-03-11, 10:41 AM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
I don't think it was the gas in particular, but it may have just been more ideal conditions that let you achieve the great gas mileage. As you probably have noticed, you need to keep the needle under half the of the green area so that the car stays in electric mode
As stated previously, it IS hard to do. Although Illinois is flat, my route home involves some hills as well as going over a bridge, so definitely in the white. And there were cars behind me, so I also had to run in the white. Of course, if there were none and the roads were flat, then I would try to keep it in the green as much as possible. But still, with this 3rd tank, I seem to get better mileage than my 2nd tank off the start. With my 2nd tank, I drove through less stops and majority was in the highway and averaged 28 mpg, about 25 mpg off the start. My 1st tank full (dealer filled up), I averaged about about 30 mpg with a mix of suburban city and highway, around 28 mph off the start.

I would figure, due to the weight of the fuel, the car would have less than ideal mileage with a full tank of gas and improve as the fuel decreases. As since this was just from the start, I'm already getting more than ideal mpg.
Old 08-03-11, 01:20 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ecub
As stated previously, it IS hard to do. Although Illinois is flat, my route home involves some hills as well as going over a bridge, so definitely in the white. And there were cars behind me, so I also had to run in the white. Of course, if there were none and the roads were flat, then I would try to keep it in the green as much as possible. But still, with this 3rd tank, I seem to get better mileage than my 2nd tank off the start. With my 2nd tank, I drove through less stops and majority was in the highway and averaged 28 mpg, about 25 mpg off the start. My 1st tank full (dealer filled up), I averaged about about 30 mpg with a mix of suburban city and highway, around 28 mph off the start.

I would figure, due to the weight of the fuel, the car would have less than ideal mileage with a full tank of gas and improve as the fuel decreases. As since this was just from the start, I'm already getting more than ideal mpg.
I see from the photo that you're in 'EV' mode, got to admit that helps for as far as you can go.

I never use the mode as I can go up to 40mph on level ground w/o using it and staying on battery only. EV mode reduces the speed in battery only for me.
Old 08-03-11, 04:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

EV mode lets you use all of the green area when accelerating. I usually do that and then midway turn off the EV mode..

Since it is hard to stay under half of the green area, I usually accelerate into the white area to desired speed, and then release the gas pedal completely, then stay under half of the green area to maintain speed.
Old 08-03-11, 07:57 PM
ecub
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I see from the photo that you're in 'EV' mode, got to admit that helps for as far as you can go.

I never use the mode as I can go up to 40mph on level ground w/o using it and staying on battery only. EV mode reduces the speed in battery only for me.
Yeah, I only use it when I enter the subdivision. I'm limited to about 25 mph, before it auto disables. I can't really go around town with it on, unless I want to get ticketed.