Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Finally broke 30.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 06:31 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Finally broke 30.

It took some Canadian gas, some Canadian roads and driving a little slower, but I broke an average of 30 mpg. I had been hovering around 29, but finally broke my 30 barrier.

After crossing the international border we filled up with some 93 octane fuel and hit the Canadian interstate...errr rather Canadian freeway. After driving so slow I couldn't stand it, we pulled off at a service centre and ask a local what was the acceptable speed to drive over the limit yet still be within acceptable local custom. 10 kph over the limit, seemed to be okay. That was a vast improvement, although the temptation to release the horses was really difficult. The road signs implied you really didn't get punished until hitting 50 kph over the limit.

Gotta give you Canadians credit, you know how to build roads. Flat as a pancake, straight as an arrow and as smooth as glass. Breaking 30 mpg was easy especially at posted freeway speeds. I suppose it would be easy in the US too if the roads were flat and I drove the limit.
Old 07-31-11, 08:24 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO our friends the Canadians put Ethanol in their gas also?
Old 08-01-11, 08:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I was wondering if they add ethanol to their gas too. I managed to get close to 34 MPG last year driving on flat roads with minimal stop lights doing between 50-60 MPH. I haven't seen that number since. But it's still much better than my 330. No complaints here

Did you change over to kilometers during your trip? Hope it was fun.
Old 08-01-11, 10:36 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

on a relatively flat road and at speeds of 40 its easy to run only in electric mode and get ridiculously high numbers. For some reason it never really occurred to me that a hybrid like the RX still gets dismal fuel economy numbers if you keep the engine running, but its a matter of balancing those MPG numbers with infinity mpg when only the electric motor is running. its all about the average
Old 08-01-11, 05:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
on a relatively flat road and at speeds of 40 its easy to run only in electric mode and get ridiculously high numbers. For some reason it never really occurred to me that a hybrid like the RX still gets dismal fuel economy numbers if you keep the engine running, but its a matter of balancing those MPG numbers with infinity mpg when only the electric motor is running. its all about the average
Now granted I've only been to SF twice, but the only flat place I saw was that bridge thingy over water.

For me, electric mode drops out way before I get to 40 mph. I really need to practice that some more.

Old 08-01-11, 08:51 PM
RXSF

from a standstill I can get from 0 to about 35 on electric power. It doesnt really go past that speed. If I use gas and get to speed, I can usually switch back to electric only at speeds of 45 and max 47 before the engine stays on.

the hills are very killer for me on my numbers. Car is reading 25.9 right now
Old 08-02-11, 05:32 PM
DunWkg
Racer

I'm posting these numbers, I don't believe they are accurate as I may have punched the reset after one or two of them and forgot to write one number down. As I understand them, they will be the average since the last reset. Except the After Refuel, which automatically resets when you fill the tank.

Name:  Screen shot 2011-08-02 at 7.09.22 PM.png
Views: 237
Size:  11.3 KB

So if I hadn't punched reset during the trip, the bottom row would represent the averages for the entire trip. I wrote the numbers down during each tank refill.

If I can convert liters to gallons correctly - I drove 1748 miles, used 61.548 gallons and overall got 28.4 miles per gallon.

I assume the car doesn't deal with conversions and somehow measures gallons, if you have it set that way.
Old 08-02-11, 07:01 PM
RXSF

I am personally proud of this achievement. I took this photo today. Granted I had just gotten gas and I had driven about 5 miles of san francisco city streets so the number is definitely skewed and inaccurate.

Finally broke 30.-high-mileage.jpg
Old 08-02-11, 07:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I like watching the MPG climb after I refuel but never got that high, RXSF. I have a feeling weather is a factor, especially when it's humid, in addition to the damn hills. I'm fluctuating between 26-29 MPG.

Geez, 68 degrees? That sounds like heaven right now.
Old 08-02-11, 07:31 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
I like watching the MPG climb after I refuel but never got that high, RXSF. I have a feeling weather is a factor, especially when it's humid, in addition to the damn hills. I'm fluctuating between 26-29 MPG.

Geez, 68 degrees? That sounds like heaven right now.
Got that right! The heat index was 114 today. Hope it cools off Thursday, gotta detail my car. Took a beating on the trip. Suppose I should have asked to run it through the rain tunnel at the Toyota factory.
Old 08-02-11, 07:51 PM
RXSF

more reason why electric vehicles just arent viable. They dont work well when its cold and they dont work well when its hot. Too problematic
Old 08-03-11, 04:38 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by billy44bo
DO our friends the Canadians put Ethanol in their gas also?
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't notice. I grabbed that 93 octane nozzle and squeezed the trigger.

I lost a gallon somewhere in Ohio I think. The damn nozzle did not shut off. Nothing, well almost nothing, ticks me off more than gasoline on my clean car and the stench of fuel in the cabin.
Old 08-04-11, 06:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Wow, that sucks about the gas leaking on to the RX. I don't have to pump my own around here but it doesn't make me immune from having the same thing happen. It's one of the reasons why I stick with the same station. I usually see the same attendant and make sure I'm very nice

How is your mileage doing now?
Old 08-04-11, 06:50 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a RX450h as a loaner when I did 75,000 service on my 2006 RX400h. Picked the loaner up Friday evening (half tank of gas) drove it around getting the feel of it etc. enjoyed the MPG going from 19.8 up to 29. Saturday night I got the itch to see what it really could do so I filled up the tank drove home I got 41 MPG. Drove about an hour or more Sunday then Monday went to work totally up hill all the way 8 mile up hill then in the evening I had to turn it in This is great I averaged just over 30 MPG This is amazing bigger engine, 600+ pounds heavier and 6 more Miles Per Gallon than my RX400h. I just might go get a RX450h now!!!
Old 08-04-11, 07:12 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
I recently had a RX450h as a loaner when I did 75,000 service on my 2006 RX400h. Picked the loaner up Friday evening (half tank of gas) drove it around getting the feel of it etc. enjoyed the MPG going from 19.8 up to 29. Saturday night I got the itch to see what it really could do so I filled up the tank drove home I got 41 MPG. Drove about an hour or more Sunday then Monday went to work totally up hill all the way 8 mile up hill then in the evening I had to turn it in This is great I averaged just over 30 MPG This is amazing bigger engine, 600+ pounds heavier and 6 more Miles Per Gallon than my RX400h. I just might go get a RX450h now!!!
Drink the Kool Aid, it's good stuff

Quick Reply: Finally broke 30.