Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400h "B" Shift Position

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-11, 07:27 AM
rxbunny13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400h "B" Shift Position

I read about the "B" position in my manual, but I am wondering what it's purpose is, and if there is anyone who actually uses it, and what they use it for. Any more information on this topic would be greatly appreciated as the manual is kind of vague.
Old 07-27-11, 12:45 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I use it going down steep hills, works great as an electric brake...Also when going to fast and I see a CHP, it slip it in, That way the brake lights dont show....heh heh....
Old 07-28-11, 08:18 AM
rxbunny13
Driver School Candidate

Haha! Good to know...
Old 08-15-11, 02:22 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Good idea thomas1, thanks.
Old 08-17-11, 02:00 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought B is just for Breaking in the transmission... although I did used it a couple of times going downhill to slow down my RX
Old 09-01-11, 10:17 AM
Korane
Driver School Candidate

Do you know if B locks the linkage between engine and wheels (like a manual transmission)? Just wondering if B would result in better throttle response.
Old 09-01-11, 10:23 AM
jtaylor3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Korane
Do you know if B locks the linkage between engine and wheels (like a manual transmission)? Just wondering if B would result in better throttle response.
Based on my experience, I don't think it locks the linkage between the engine and wheels. When I use it going down big hills, it just seems to kick up the regeneration a notch.

Unfortunately for me, the braking effect is not enough so I have to use the brakes anyway. So I pretty much gave up on the B setting.

Jeff
08 RX400h
Old 09-01-11, 12:12 PM
Korane
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jeff.
Old 09-06-11, 05:44 PM
jayrodclg
Driver School Candidate

the B position can be used for big takeoff acceleration also. even more so if used when the battery is full/green. put into B, stand on the gas and hold it down and it'll drain the battery extremely fast as you fly.
Old 12-31-14, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Bump

Originally Posted by jayrodclg
the B position can be used for big takeoff acceleration also. even more so if used when the battery is full/green. put into B, stand on the gas and hold it down and it'll drain the battery extremely fast as you fly.
Curious, Is there Lexus literature to support this claim?
Old 12-31-14, 08:50 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Curious, Is there Lexus literature to support this claim?
It was a joke.
Old 12-31-14, 11:18 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtaylor3
it just seems to kick up the regeneration a notch.
On which basis are you saying that? In my experience, if anything, the opposite is true.
In fact, the fact that B position is called "Engine Braking" says it all, really: the engine stays on while coasting, and contributes to the deceleration.
This means that the regenerative braking still works, but the energy required to stop the vehicle (which is normally wasted completely in non-hybrid vehicles, transforming it into heat generated by the brakes) is lower, thanks to the engine contribution.
Otoh, sometimes - particularly on long downhill roads - the regenerative braking goes off automatically, due to the fact that there's a limit to the energy that the traction batteries can receive. You can see that on the power meter: while braking, it normally goes down in the blue area. But when the traction batteries are already full (or almost), sometimes while still braking it jumps up a bit, staying at the zero position. If you have a sensible feet, you can also feel a slight difference in braking, because when the regenerative braking goes off you must push the pedal a tad more in order to keep the same level of deceleration.
Bottom line, also when going downhill, I normally leave the shift in D for as long as the regenerative braking is working. But as I said, in long downhill roads, after a while the regenerative braking goes off automatically, and when that happens, it's the only occasion in which IMHO makes sense to use the B position - more for avoiding to stress the brakes too much than anything else.
Old 03-06-15, 12:02 PM
LexusLadi
Rookie

I shift it into B during inclement weather (i.e. snow storms). Here in Northern New Jersey I recently made a short trip through a couple of towns on side roads. We had about 4 inch's on the ground. Felt more secure and response to me in the snow overall. I highly recommend you try it next time your out and about in the white stuff.
Old 03-11-15, 02:36 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Lexus Ladi...i used it a lot last winter when Portland got quite a bit of snow. Helped me brake with less sliding from the tires.
Old 05-03-15, 10:38 AM
maximizese
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Car and Driver, the "B" selection on the Honda Accord PHEV stands for "Battery" and more aggressively regenerates the traction battery when you lift off the accelerator, similar to engine braking in a lower gear like 1st or 2nd gear in a manny tranny. I'll have to try this out the next time I'm driving my wife's Rx. If the ICE can stay off with the throttle off, I think this might work well in slow and go/stop in go traffic where the traction battery drains after 1 mile and doesn't get a good opportunity to recharge.

Quick Reply: RX400h "B" Shift Position