Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

What should I pay for used 2010 RX 450h 2WD 9,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 07:22 PM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I pay for used 2010 RX 450h 2WD 9,500 miles

I am looking at a used 2010 Lexus RX 450h. It is leased starting in April 2010.

2WD
9,500 miles
Premium package
Comfort package
Navigation
Ventilated seats
Leather and wood steering wheel and shift ****
Premium audio
Bi-xenon headlights
Intuitive parking assist
Back up monitor

They are asking $44,000.

What do you think I should pay? I looked up Edmunds, KBB, and NADA and we all know how inflated those numbers are. I would to get as close as possible to trade in value, but I don't have access to what similar units have gone for at Manheim auctions.
Old 07-11-11, 05:15 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by exbauer
I am looking at a used 2010 Lexus RX 450h. It is leased starting in April 2010.

2WD
9,500 miles
Premium package
Comfort package
Navigation
Ventilated seats
Leather and wood steering wheel and shift ****
Premium audio
Bi-xenon headlights
Intuitive parking assist
Back up monitor

They are asking $44,000.

What do you think I should pay? I looked up Edmunds, KBB, and NADA and we all know how inflated those numbers are. I would to get as close as possible to trade in value, but I don't have access to what similar units have gone for at Manheim auctions.
Same options as mine. If it's a CPO car than that's probably reasonable considering the lack of supply and it's low mileage. Remember you still get a lot of warranty.

Auctions are prices dealers pay to buy for their lots. Not likely you'll get a primo car at those prices.
Old 07-11-11, 05:38 AM
jlynn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG on 2011 350 RX

Should I be getting more than 16.5 ave on MPG? When I start it and back it up it sounds like a truck. They keep telling me to drive it and it will get better. I've been driving basic suburban streets and freeway. I'm discouraged. 2011 RX350. Would I be better off getting a 450h. Aside from the MPG, what's the difference? I know I'll get hit on a trade with 287 miles but this is really bothersome.

Last edited by jlynn; 07-11-11 at 05:43 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old 07-11-11, 07:59 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by jlynn
Should I be getting more than 16.5 ave on MPG? When I start it and back it up it sounds like a truck. They keep telling me to drive it and it will get better. I've been driving basic suburban streets and freeway. I'm discouraged. 2011 RX350. Would I be better off getting a 450h. Aside from the MPG, what's the difference? I know I'll get hit on a trade with 287 miles but this is really bothersome.
You're driving a pretty luxurious and 'heavy' car over 4000 lbs. If you are driving primarily short trips and/or not using the eco mode than you can expect mileage in that range or higher. If driven properly even in the city and your trips are 8 miles or longer than expect closer to 20. On the road at cruise speeds of around 65 expect 24-26.

Now if you go to the 450h it will definitely be higher but still according to conditions and how you drive. For me short trips are the worse and usually come in around 28 mpg but even city/suburb driving can get into the low 30's if the trips are about 8 miles or further. Hwy with the cruise between 65 and 70 gets me between 30 and 32. I'm 'not' as aggressive as I used to be either. When I went to the hybrid I made a conscious decision to drive for mileage. I'm even enjoying more stress free drives too.
Old 07-11-11, 10:42 AM
exbauer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is from a private seller. I pay less in taxes opposed to a dealer. I don't need a CPO since it is so new and so little miles. But, while doing research I found that people were paying that price + TTL on them new with 0 miles. That is a problem. I was hoping it would go down to $40,000 for it. Wishful thinking I know.
Old 07-11-11, 11:17 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by exbauer
It is from a private seller. I pay less in taxes opposed to a dealer. I don't need a CPO since it is so new and so little miles. But, while doing research I found that people were paying that price + TTL on them new with 0 miles. That is a problem. I was hoping it would go down to $40,000 for it. Wishful thinking I know.
Not to say you still can't find one in that price range but overall late model used cars have gone up recently. And premium 'hot' models even more. You have to decide who to wed .

Six months ago (or prior to Japan's earthquake issues) you probably would have had a better chance tho in that price range.
Old 07-12-11, 01:01 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what the used market is right now. You will need to just see what people are willing to do ... each used transaction is unique. But, I can give you some feedback on the new prices some paid for the car. Forget $44,000 for a new car.

My Starfire Pearl 450h is equiped like the used car you are looking at. Last September 8th, I paid $45,500 (+TL) for the car. Sticker was something like $51,940. Timing is everything in life and it was the right time to buy a Lexus. The economy and especially luxury car sales were really hurting. Dealers had so many cars on their lots and backed up at the holding lots that it was clearly a problem. Showrooms were empty, people just sitting around. My daughter and I were both looking for new cars. They offered to sell her a new ES350 for $30,200 (at the time the sales staff said forget used cars they can not compete with new ... it was true back then). Premium gas was just above $3.00 here in N. CA (which is one of the highest areas in the country). It was approaching the end of the year and people were getting closeout prices. Some cars we were looking at like the Prius has 0% leases plus discounts ... amazing. Really stiff competition.

Since then gas has gone up renewing interest in cars like the 450h (now sitting around $4.00 in N. CA). The economy has become better and much more predictable. The Japanese earthquake has disrupted the supply chain. Also, I configured my car on the Lexus site ... it now seems to cost $53,780 (about $1,800 more than when I purchased it). This could also be pushing up used car prices.

Finally, this is not scientific ... but, I went to my Lexus dealership yesterday to get something small item taken care of. They were so busy I just decided not to wait. Service had cars stacked up. There were customers on the sales lot. Might have been a freak occurrence, but compared to prior trips the difference was amazing.

The best way to find out about price is to go in and negotiate. Offer them $6,500 off a new car and see if they go for it. That would give you a new car for about $47,000. Only $3,000 more than the used car you are considering. If they are discounting less now (probably the case, but only one way to find out), then at least you will have a good baseline before negotiating on the used car.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-12-11 at 01:05 PM.