Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Old 06-29-11, 07:42 AM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Looks like another recall for the RX400h just came out.

Toyota to Recall 82,200 vehicles in the US

And I see this in the Lexus Owners website:

Safety Recall BLD (B2D - Interim) - Certain 2006 through 2007 Model Year RX 400h Vehicles Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

What is the Condition? The Intelligent Power Module (IPM) is located inside of the Hybrid System Inverter and contains a control board with transistors. Certain transistors on the control boards of some of the subject vehicles were inadequately soldered and could be damaged from heat caused by a large current during high-load driving. If this occurs, various warning lamps will be illuminated on the instrument panel. In most cases the vehicle will enter a fail-safe driving mode, resulting in reduced motive power in which the vehicle can still be driven for short distances. In limited instances, the fuse of the power supply circuit could burn out when the transistor is damaged. If this occurs, the hybrid engine system will stop while the vehicle is being driven and the vehicle will coast to a stop increasing the risk of a rear collision.

Last edited by caveman; 06-29-11 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Updated title
Old 06-29-11, 08:35 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Confirmed in the press:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43574776/ns/business-autos/
Old 06-29-11, 11:20 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting. I recently used the nhtsa website (and Transport Canada) to voice my concerns over inverter failures (mine was leaking coolant - a colleague at work had his 2006 RX lose all power on the highway at 100km/h - diagnosis was failed inverter). I doubt my emails caused any widespread investigation, but it's nice to see action being taken.
Old 06-29-11, 12:07 PM
caveman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this recall is similar to the other inverter repairs I've read about on the forums, it sounds like its a $7k-$10K job.

Anyone w/ previous inverter repair can chime in on how long it took the dealer to complete the work? I'm just trying to see if this is more of a 2 hour repair or 2 day repair.
Old 06-29-11, 12:52 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Mine was replaced (it was leaking coolant) in late 2009. At that time, I was told an inverter was about $7000 CDN. They had the car for just a day IIRC.

However, they had to order the inverter and that took a couple of weeks (it was shipped from Japan to Vancouver, B.C. then transported via truck to Burlington, Ontario.

In this current recall, I wonder if they can open up the inverter and just replace the module, rather than swapping in a whole new inverter.
Old 06-30-11, 03:44 AM
petterf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if the recall will be limited to US only or if it will extend to Europe as well. I've not yet heard anything here and not seen any vin number range of related vehicles.
Old 07-03-11, 08:07 AM
Sunapollo
Rookie

Going to do a west coast road trip with the 400h in 2 weeks ... it'll certainly put some "high-load driving" to the car ... hopefully the car won't die on me in the middle of nowhere ... cross fingers.
Old 07-20-11, 07:48 AM
bobgailw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Lexus at their 800 # and they confirmed that my RX400H is part of the recall. ( they referenced my vin #) They advised me to contact my local Lexus dealer here in Massachusetts. When I did, they acted like it was "news to them" They put someone else on the phone and he said they could do very little until the recall notice is sent to owners. I asked if they received the parts for the recall and was told no. He also added that the dealers have not been informed of the recall yet. I think somebody is in for a shock! This inverter "business" is hanging over me like a dead "albatross". I just passed 100k miles with my 2006 RX400H. When this problem get taken care of, I will drive it another two years or until the car has no trade value.

Bob w
Old 07-20-11, 07:55 AM
bobgailw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what does the inverter look like?

Does anyone know what the inverter looks like in the RX400H? Will the dealer be able to replace the module without taking out the inverter? Is the module accessible externally or will the entire inverted have to be replaced? (I really hope they have to do a complete replacement as the inverter could have other problems as the car ages)
Old 07-20-11, 01:47 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did talked to one service manager at a local Lexus Service, they know about the recall and mention it's going to be a while for Lexus/Toyota to have enough replacement parts to start the recall initiative. It's probably going to take a day to get the car taken care of.
Old 07-20-11, 02:48 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobgailw
Does anyone know what the inverter looks like in the RX400H? Will the dealer be able to replace the module without taking out the inverter? Is the module accessible externally or will the entire inverted have to be replaced? (I really hope they have to do a complete replacement as the inverter could have other problems as the car ages)
Just open your engine compartment and remove the plastic cover that says "Hybrid synergy drive". It's under there. Big black thing with a metal cover and orange wires connected to it. Or have a look here at pics of my leaking inverter (before it was replaced under the hybrid warranty).

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=60231

Or look below. First picture is the inverter with the lid on, second picture is with the lid off.
My guess would be that they just need to pull off the lid and replace one of the circuit boards or computer modules in there.

Old 07-20-11, 03:38 PM
petterf
Rookie

According to my Lexus dealer the recall will take place in Sweden as well. I asked if the plan was to only swap the specific pcb in the inverter but he said they will replace the whole inverter.

If that's correct it will be a quite costly procedure though I'm happy Lexus stands up for their product.
Old 07-21-11, 02:14 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice info RCY !!! Picture is worth a thousand words
Old 07-22-11, 12:06 PM
3k3sc400
Driver School Candidate

Default figures!

I got my recall notice today......

I recently traded my 06 400h in because it had 99k on it... Loved the car, just the thought of the random inverter fail cropping up out of the hybrid warranty just was too nutty for me!

Had I known something like this would happen (the recall) I would have hung on to it for sure

Uggh!
Old 07-22-11, 07:20 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 3k3sc400
I got my recall notice today......

I recently traded my 06 400h in because it had 99k on it... Loved the car, just the thought of the random inverter fail cropping up out of the hybrid warranty just was too nutty for me!

Had I known something like this would happen (the recall) I would have hung on to it for sure

Uggh!
As long as you could document all required maintenance, they would likely have taken care of this for you no charge.
It's a voluntary recall campaign.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement