Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 06:45 AM
petterf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. Thanks.

Originally Posted by autox250
Because there specific part number and serial are not in the VIN. Toyota needs to inspect all the vehicles that couldve possibly had those specific part #s.
In this case all inverters w/ part G9200-48011 or G9200-48021 get the recall without need of verifying serial. ALL other part numbers require serial verification
Old 03-06-12, 08:39 AM
autox250
Driver

No problem anything i can do to help
Old 05-10-12, 12:30 PM
ingenious
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible warning sign of inverter failure

My inverter failed about 9 months ago. About 6 months prior to that, my clock began losing time. When I took it to the dealer, they said that replacing the clock necessitated replacing the stereo as well since it is all integrated. I wasn't worried about losing a minute or so per day enough to justify the high price of the fix, so I lived with it.

After the inverter was replaced, my clock began operating perfectly again. Has been a few months now and is still keeping perfect time with my Blackberry which is synched with the USNO time.

Hard for me not correlate these two issues despite them being very different parts of the overall vehicle. I would offer up that if you are seeing issues with your clock remaining accurate, you need to get the inverter looked at immediately.
Old 06-24-12, 10:22 AM
BC06rx400h
Driver School Candidate

Post Ipm recall

Hello all.
Im new to the Lexus lifestyle. My wife and I just purchaced a 2006 RX400H Ultra Premium about 3 weeks ago. It was on the dealer lot since November, so I doubt any recalls have been done. It was always Lexus serviced and we have all the records. I've been reading up on all the issues on the SUV and there doesnt seem to be too many of major concern except the IPM Recall and Crank Pulley Recall. My inverter assembly part# is G9200-48031 and it serial # is PC20YM026. We live in Vancouver Canada so the #'s may be different for the Canadian recall. Can anyone tell me if these #s fall into the recall.
Old 07-11-12, 11:10 AM
Inverter07
Driver School Candidate

Default Inverter trouble in Europe

I bought my RX400H, 07 mod, in Belgium Sep last year and have kept it maintained in Lexus garages. Last maintennance in Feb 12, for 90 000km (app 55000 miles). There was nothing mentioned about a recall program.
Last week the car stopped in traffic, I had it brought to the closest Lexus garage. They diagnosed it with a broken inverter. At first I was happy to hear this as I saw there was a recall program for the inverters. The dealer presented me with the bill for 2840 euros stating that my car ws not part of the recall program. I did not believe what I heard, and contacted Lexus/Toyota Belgium, same answer from them (actually no answer until I called Toyota Europe, then Lexus Belgium contacted me )
The recall program was limited to RX400H produced from 24 Sep 2004 to 09 Aug 2006. My car was produced in Feb 2007 and falls out of the recall.
had to pay the bill to get my car back. Toyota Europe is now considering what to do.
Anyone with same experience from Europe? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank You.

Last edited by Inverter07; 07-12-12 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-11-12, 01:03 PM
maseace
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Inverter07 - The hybrid warranty in the USA is 96 months/100,000 miles. The inverter is part of the hybrid system, so why wasn't this considered warranty work? What is your hybrid warranty in your country?
Old 07-11-12, 06:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Inverter07
I bought my RX400H, 07 mod, in Belgium Sep last year and have kept it maintained in Lexus garages. Last maintennance in Feb 12, for 90 000km (app 55000 miles). There was nothing mentioned about a recall program.
Last week the car stopped in traffic, I had it brought to the closest Lexus garage. They diagnosed it with a broken inverter. At first I was happy to hear this as I saw there was a recall program for the inverters. The dealer presented me with the bill for 2840 euros stating that my car ws not part of the recall program. I did not believe what I heard, and contacted Lexus/Toyota Belgium, same answer from them (actually no answer until I called Toyota Europe, then Lexus Belgium contacted me )
The recall program was limited to RX400H produced from 24 Sep 2004 to 09 Aug 2006. My car was produced in Feb 2007 and falls out of the recall.
had to pay the bill to get my car back. Toyota Europe is now considering what to do.
Anyone with same experience from Europe? Any advice would be much appreciated. Yhank You.
Looks like you might be just outside the 5 year warranty for this in your area. I would keep the pressure on them.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement-screen-shot-2012-07-11-at-8.57.17-pm.png
Old 07-12-12, 01:06 AM
Inverter07
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for these useful advice. Yes for sure it seems that the warranty and the recall programs are two different subjects. The quote from their warranty program have been sent to the customer relation centre in Belgium.
It is a bit frustrating that Toyota/Lexus have different warranty programs around the world. The Norwegain customer relation department for Lexus, stated that this would be covered by Lexus if it was in Norway and a Norwegian car. I see that the same would be the case in the US.
I will continue my attempts to find ways to have Toyota do the right thing and cover the costs for this repair.

Last edited by Inverter07; 07-12-12 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 02:47 AM
petterf
Rookie

I live in Sweden and i have the 2006 model which did not need a new inverter module after being recalled for a check.
Anyway my inverter is covered in my insurance and if it would fail and if Lexus would decided they will no do replace it under good will, I have a €150 deductible and that would be the only cost for me to have it replaced.

I'm sorry to hear that yours did fail and that Lexus/Toyota don't cover the costs.
Have you looked at your insurance policy? It might be covered there.
Old 07-23-12, 01:05 PM
Inverter07
Driver School Candidate

I got negative respons from Lexus Waterloo (the local dealer) and then brought the case to Toyota Belgium. Toyota Belgium customer relation office stated that the car was outside of the recall program (by 6 months) and out of warranty (by 97 days). They saw no reason to assist in the matter. I have written a letter of complaint to Toyota Europe.
The Toyota vision states: “We aim to exceed expectations and be rewarded with a smile.” striving to exceed their expectations—by at least a little all the time and by a lot whenever possible... “be kind and generous” and to “create a warm, homelike atmosphere.” The idea is to earn as many smiles as possible. It means building relationships of trust and mutual respect with customers..." One can only hope that Toyota Europe will proove this in practice.
Thank you "petterf" I will check with the insurance company.

Last edited by Inverter07; 07-23-12 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 08-07-12, 09:22 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It finally happened to me today, right when I'm wanting to speed up to the carpool lane, you hear a loud sound and the CEL came on, check VSC system check Hybrid System and I'm stalled for about an hour before tow truck got me to dealer to have it checked out, the service advisor said it would most likely be the IPM but have to wait and see tomorrow, cross my fingers
Old 08-08-12, 06:30 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
It finally happened to me today, right when I'm wanting to speed up to the carpool lane, you hear a loud sound and the CEL came on, check VSC system check Hybrid System and I'm stalled for about an hour before tow truck got me to dealer to have it checked out, the service advisor said it would most likely be the IPM but have to wait and see tomorrow, cross my fingers
did you get your car "fixed" during the recall?
just wondering if we have to worry about breaking down, even after the recall fix.

thanks.
Old 08-08-12, 09:16 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
Please give us feedback, mine turned out to being a inverter cooling pump failure....then everything worked fine...
Old 08-08-12, 01:45 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
did you get your car "fixed" during the recall?
just wondering if we have to worry about breaking down, even after the recall fix.

thanks.
I didn't get the fix yet so this would qualify as a recall repair for now
Old 08-08-12, 01:53 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thomas1
Please give us feedback, mine turned out to being a inverter cooling pump failure....then everything worked fine...
The diagnostic from the service advisor this afternoon was they are going to perform the recall
and see if that take care of the problem but it's good to know that it may be the inverter cooling pump that may cause it, I can let the service advisor know also. I will find out more tomorrow.
All I can say was the RX stalled on the carpool lane was very scary and dangerous, I was lucky there was a small section of yellow striped zone to pull over and all traffic dodge my car until CHP push my car off the freeway during rush hour traffic to a safe location for the tow truck to tow my RX over to the dealership. I'm praying and crossing my fingers again hoping the recall part will take care of the problem, I do have platinum extended warranty up to 120,000 miles as secondary, I hope nothing out of pocket expense.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement