Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 10:49 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just in the process of preparing to get rid of my 2006 RX400h at 82000 miles because of the inverter issue. Great car and my wife loves it but the unpredictability and cost of the inverter failure was more than I could handle. This could make me very happy again

It is interesting that the recall spans 2006-7. Assuming they corrected the problem? Also assuming we will get the new and improved version?

This could be great.
Old 07-26-11, 10:13 AM
bobgailw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interim recall announcement

Just got the "interim" recall announcement from Lexus. They said they might be ready with the recall in January, 2012. In the event the inverter fails, they indicated they would repair it at no charge to the owner. I wonder who pays the towing when the car breaks down due to the inverter failing and you are 150 miles from a dealer? (think Alligator Alley in Florida) With over 100k miles on the RX400H, the inverter failure possibilities are my "sword of Damocles" ready to swing over my head.
Old 07-26-11, 11:24 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgailw
Just got the "interim" recall announcement from Lexus. They said they might be ready with the recall in January, 2012. In the event the inverter fails, they indicated they would repair it at no charge to the owner. I wonder who pays the towing when the car breaks down due to the inverter failing and you are 150 miles from a dealer? (think Alligator Alley in Florida) With over 100k miles on the RX400H, the inverter failure possibilities are my "sword of Damocles" ready to swing over my head.
Why is it that people always try to imagine the worst possible scenario when the odds are definitely against something bad happening at all.

The recall is precautionary on Lexus's part and not mandatory. They are covering it and if you've used their service for a while you should have comfort they are better by a quantum leap in customer satisfaction and service than others. Don't worry over things that haven't happened to you. Worry instead over the bolt of lightening that might strike you on the golf course. If the same thing was wrong with say a Ford hybrid do you think they'd do a precautionary recall ??? Doubt it.

Sorry but if you're not having a problem please don't be the gloom and doom of 'what if'. You'll worry yourself to death.

My 2 cents and glad you got the notice. They're getting stuff built and ordered for your car. To build stock to replace the unit on each car built is going to take some time.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-26-11 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 02:30 PM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

I do get sucked into the "doom and gloom" scenario. I was actually in the act of selling my 2006 RX400h that my wife loves because of this issue when the recall notice came. I think it was the major $$$ coupled with the uncertainty of if it was going to be me and the helplessness that I could do nothing about it. Really glad I didn't sell.

I wonder what the true incidence of this failure is. I do believe that these forums likely overhype the risk as they tend to select out a group of owners who have had the problem. Your inverter goes...you google RX400h inverter failure...you end up here or another forum posting your near disaster or horror story.

I recently bought an 2001 RX300 for my daughter and went thru the same set of emotions convincing myself that we are not having imminent transmission failure or have a horribly sludged engine. We have a few thousand miles on it, love the car, and the transmission is fine. Got to read between the lines

I now plan to keep my RX400h forever!!

Last edited by Iluvlexus; 07-26-11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-29-11, 11:23 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Lexus recommends that we refrain from using the 400h under heavy load and not to tow anything. I am in the process of buying a boat and was planning on using the 400h to tow it. Now what should I do? I wonder is Toyota will pay for a rental truck to tow my boat or rack storage at a marina?
Old 07-29-11, 12:50 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by prowler97
Lexus recommends that we refrain from using the 400h under heavy load and not to tow anything. I am in the process of buying a boat and was planning on using the 400h to tow it. Now what should I do? I wonder is Toyota will pay for a rental truck to tow my boat or rack storage at a marina?
Where did you see that recommendation? I haven't received any official notification in the mail yet, but I did email Lexus Canada and they didn't mention anything about towing or heavy load. I don't tow, but I do like mashing the gas pedal to the floor when entering a freeway for example.
Old 07-29-11, 05:10 PM
ER77
Driver School Candidate

I got this notice yesterday 7/28/2011 as well. Just had a faulty break problem at 81k miles, (1k over warranty) that took Lexus 6 weeks to diagnose and fix and lexus coprorate would not chip in on. I thought it was the inverter but turns out it was the VSC computer. $2800 later, the breaks don't fail anymore. Wish the VSC had been under recall... Either way, Rx400h has been a great vehicle.
Old 08-01-11, 05:56 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Attached below is a PDF of the letter I received from Toyota/Lexus informing me about the recall.

Page 2, Step 2 states:
"Avoid placing a high load on the Hybrid System. We suggest that you refrain from towing anything with the vehicle until the remedy is performed."

I just spoke to Lexus Customer Service and they said the replacement IPM's will be available in mid-August (not January 2012 stated in the letter) and dealers will be calling owners starting on Monday (8/8/2011).

The IPM recall is on most 2006 models and very few 2007 (early builds). Those that received the letter have the issue and those who did not get a letter are most likely okay.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
400h_IPM_recall2.pdf (236.1 KB, 724 views)

Last edited by prowler97; 08-03-11 at 07:10 AM. Reason: removed PDF with personal information
Old 08-01-11, 04:29 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

When I get home, I'm going to scan and post mine (which I got in the mail on Friday). It mentions nothing about towing, and there aren't any pictures of the inverter coolant reservoir, or the power meter.

From reading the letter, I'm getting the impression that they are just going to be replacing the module, not the whole inverter. Someone from overseas posted that their dealer said whole new inverter. That'd be nice, but I don't think that will be the repair. Hope I'm wrong though.

Funny how they mention about keeping the coolant topped up. If the problem is a bad circuit board, what's the correlation to the coolant? I mean, if the coolant is low, there's some other problem that needs to be addressed. Coolant doesn't just disappear unless there's a leak.

Keep below 100kw..bahahaha...every time I merge on the highway I hit 200. I don't plan to change my habits either.
Old 08-04-11, 12:15 PM
2008LX570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes 400h totally died a month ago with the issues related to the recall. our local lexus dealer knew nothing of the recall at the time. They had the car for 2 weeks while they waited for the part to come from Japan. seems to be doing fine since she got it back.
Old 08-04-11, 03:55 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

What year is yours? They didn't charge u I hope.
Old 08-05-11, 02:00 PM
ER77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Why is it that people always try to imagine the worst possible scenario when the odds are definitely against something bad happening at all.

The recall is precautionary on Lexus's part and not mandatory.
@Cruiter, totally disagree with this comment. This recall affects 80k drivers, and a problem that "might" happen on the highway where your car shuts off or if you happen to be driving a mountain pass, well, that IS something to be concerned about. It would be different if it was the headlamp window washsers or power trunk release, etc.

I had a problem with the VSC that made the power breaks lose power on the highway. Had to downshift to slow down and after taking the car to the dealer, they reset the warning saying that they found nothing and to let them know if it happens again. I asked if i was driving an unsafe vehicle to which the dealer replied, no it's fine. This error/problem came back after 15 miles and THEN they figured it was the VSC computer.

And that nonsense about if being precautionary and not manditory, well if a company recognizes there is a problem with their produc that can endanger the public, they are liable.

Don't get me wrong, the vehicle is great and has been since purchased with very few issues, but Lexus needs to take care if this. The recall notice i received came with a second page stating to keep an eye on the inverter cooland reservoir level. Just yesterday I called to ask what type of coolant to use and the service dept transfered me to the parts dept that didn't have an answer, who transfered me to the shop foreman who was not available who transfered me to the service manager who was not available but would give me a call with the answer... I get the call today and told him that my inverter coolant was about 1 inch below LOW and was told to add water! After searching a little online, the coolant is Toyota SLL Coolant, the PINK, and NOT the RED. These are non-compatable.
Old 08-08-11, 04:25 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by petterf
According to my Lexus dealer the recall will take place in Sweden as well. I asked if the plan was to only swap the specific pcb in the inverter but he said they will replace the whole inverter.

If that's correct it will be a quite costly procedure though I'm happy Lexus stands up for their product.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but....

I got my letter last week or so and I quote:

"...make an appointment with your authorized Lexus dealeship to have the IPM in the inverter assembly inspected and if neccessary, replaced with a new one."

I'm reading that as the IPM will be replaced, not the whole inverter. But, I'll admit, it's kind of ambiguous. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 08-08-11, 04:30 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Here's a copy of the Lexus Canada recall letter (front and back). It's similar to the American, but there are some differences - like no mention of towing, and they go into a little more detail about what Lexus will do. The diagrams are messed up in the Canadian version - they show the power meter in the section about the inverter coolant reservoir...
Attached Files
062530.PDF (41.3 KB, 431 views)
062546.PDF (34.9 KB, 604 views)
Old 08-09-11, 09:38 AM
petterf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found replacing the whole inverter strange and expensive as well. But I guess we will find out sooner or later

Originally Posted by rcy
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but....

I got my letter last week or so and I quote:

"...make an appointment with your authorized Lexus dealeship to have the IPM in the inverter assembly inspected and if neccessary, replaced with a new one."

I'm reading that as the IPM will be replaced, not the whole inverter. But, I'll admit, it's kind of ambiguous. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement