Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

New owner of 2011 450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 07:52 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New owner of 2011 450h

Hi everyone,

Have a 2011 450h for 2 weeks now, it's just awesome! the color is Obsidian and black leather interior. Also own a Honda Accord and Pilot. After the 450h made me not wanting to get back into the Hondas!

So called a dealer today for a 2008 400h and a deal was done. The color is Crystal white and beige interior. Drove the car for 5 mins just fell in love with it. It actually felt as good as the 450h if not better.

Will post pics and my opinions about the two cars when I get a chance.

Wil

ps Drove the Pilot to and from the dealer for 100 miles but $20 in gas Have gotten about 370 miles out of a full tank of 450h for the 2 weeks!
Old 06-23-11, 08:49 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Black on Black, nice combination!

Glad you like it, er uh, them.
Old 06-23-11, 09:24 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wow two RX hybrids. When I got rid of my second generation RX to get into the 450h, I thought it was a huge upgrade so I am curious why you say it is the same if not better. I am also curious about the mpg differences between the two

What you dont have on the 400h is:
push button start
smart key
larger nav screen (if optioned)
less comfy seats (to me)
no usb nor aux jack
no bluetooth audio
no integrated SAT radio
only 2 seat position memory (instead of 3)
old style windshield wipers that are less effective
No LED headlight, HUD, electric auto foldable side mirrors, semi-aniline leather options
smaller cargo area

just to name a few...

Last edited by RXSF; 06-25-11 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-24-11, 04:21 AM
wcntan80
Rookie

Hi RXSF,
Wow, you're right about these things. Will find out about the mpg later(should be much better than the Pilot! My God!). 450h should be better on mpg. I meant to say the handling and the ride on the 400h. I think it's because of the lighter weight on the 400h?

Foldable side mirrors is an important feature for me in NY area. Never knew that the 400h did not have that!

Speaking of BT audio, please tell me RXSF. I have an iPhone 3GS and it seems like connection set up has to done every time I wanna use this feature? The screen will show " portable player not connected" or something like that. The BT phone feature is auto.

I don't have the HUD and LED headlights on the 450h. Actually like the HID projector better. May be I'm old fashioned?

Smartkey and push button start is cool.

Thanks for pointing those differences, RXSF.

Wil
Old 06-24-11, 05:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wcntan80
Hi RXSF,
Wow, you're right about these things. Will find out about the mpg later(should be much better than the Pilot! My God!). 450h should be better on mpg. I meant to say the handling and the ride on the 400h. I think it's because of the lighter weight on the 400h?

Foldable side mirrors is an important feature for me in NY area. Never knew that the 400h did not have that!

Speaking of BT audio, please tell me RXSF. I have an iPhone 3GS and it seems like connection set up has to done every time I wanna use this feature? The screen will show " portable player not connected" or something like that. The BT phone feature is auto.

I don't have the HUD and LED headlights on the 450h. Actually like the HID projector better. May be I'm old fashioned?

Smartkey and push button start is cool.

Thanks for pointing those differences, RXSF.

Wil
Congrats on your new hybrids. My previous was my 03 RX and loved it but this one is everything I wanted and more.

I have an 'droid' smart phone and from time to time the car starts w/o finding it. I believe it's the phone because if I (in the phone itself) turn off the blue tooth then turn it back on it then connects with the car and works as it should. Happens every now an then, usually after I've done something different with the phone like listen to Pandora with the head phones that causes it.

The cars are unique and in some ways drive differently but not in a bad way, just something to get used to and enjoy. To me the differences are an improvement and I've adjusted to them and know what to expect. I'm confident you will as well.

Enjoy your high tech rides
Old 06-24-11, 08:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ebony and ivory RXhs, cool Can't wait to see the pictures. Judging by the weather around here it might be a few days before we see the sun in full force.

Wil, I had the iPhone 3GS and no problems since day one when the dealer set it up for me. Then again I still use an iPod for music. I have the iPhone 4 now and everything went smooth downloading contacts et al. You might want to use a flash drive for your music to bypass the issue.

I imagine the 400h would be a little more nimble on its feet than the 450h with the weight difference. The shape is also different. Fortunately I don't see this as a problem. Going from keys to no keys might be a different story

Enjoy your 450h and welcome to da club!
Old 06-24-11, 11:28 AM
RXSF

try unpairing your 3gs from the bluetooth audio system (not phone), and reconnecting it. One of my family members as a 3gs and it auto pairs perfectly.
Old 06-24-11, 08:47 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Thank you everybody. I can see why you guys are bunch of happy car owners after buying my own 450h. This is my most favorite automobile after all these years!
Old 06-24-11, 08:56 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
try unpairing your 3gs from the bluetooth audio system (not phone), and reconnecting it. One of my family members as a 3gs and it auto pairs perfectly.
That's what I have to do every time when entering the car! But the phone part just connects themselves automatically. Audio will say something like "portable music player not connected" but BT phone "Bluetooth phone connects successfully" something like that. But after going to the BT section on the iPhone and reconnect, then the audio on the car will say "portable music player connects successfully" .

If I exit and lock the car 15 times, this procedure has to be done 15 times! Come on!
Old 06-24-11, 08:59 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Going from keys to no keys might be a different story
Ouch! Wife must not hear that.
Old 06-25-11, 12:27 AM
RXSF

Thought Id list some pros of the 400h over the 450h.

illuminated door sills on all four doors (orange)
full size spare with actual alloy rim
radio presets 1-6 right on the dash for easy access
chrome door handles
Old 06-25-11, 06:22 AM
wcntan80
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
Thought Id list some pros of the 400h over the 450h.

illuminated door sills on all four doors (orange)
full size spare with actual alloy rim
radio presets 1-6 right on the dash for easy access
chrome door handles
I couldn't decide on the 400h until the door sill lighted up when I opened the door...

RXSF, you hit the spot on every point. Thanks.
Old 06-25-11, 09:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Ouch! Wife must not hear that.
I guess i know who is driving the 450h

I couldn't decide on the 400h until the door sill lighted up when I opened the door...

RXSF, you hit the spot on every point. Thanks.
I still don't understand why they went with orange on the door sills. RXSF and I had it on the 330. All four doors. Maybe one day they'll make them for the rear on the 450h. Which reminds me, time to go re-install the illuminated sills in the front. I brought it in for service this morning. I know they're super careful with my car but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just removed the tape on them last week
Old 06-25-11, 10:14 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

congrats on both RX's!
Old 06-25-11, 06:25 PM
wcntan80
Rookie

kitlz, my 400h has blue hue on door sill lights, not the orange. Thank god! The blue hue matches the blueish rear emblem, headlights and taillights lenses. Wish I had them on the 450h.

Wil

Quick Reply: New owner of 2011 450h