Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Long term reliability and maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 01:00 AM
Troy113
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term reliability and maintenance?

I'm looking to buy a 2008 gs 450h but am concerned with the long term reliability and maintenance costs. I drive my cars till about 150k miles and would want to keep the gs 450h for that long as well. Does anybody have some insight to share on whether this car will be as reliable as the gs350? Is the relatively high depreciation rate of the gs 450h any indicator of its maintenance cost and long term reliability or is it just due to the pace of advancing hybrid technology?

I've read some other threads in this forum and all i've seen in significant additional costs to owning the gs450h is potentially replacing the battery for the hybrid engine at 100k+ miles. Thanks in advance for your insight! Hope to be an owner as well soon!
Old 04-12-11, 01:38 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldnt worry so much, when I asked my dealer how many hybrids come in with problems he said those are the most well built ones and usually no one comes in for problems I'd say that your pretty safe and I wouldn't worry plus the battery is covered for 8Years.
Old 04-12-11, 02:51 PM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

^ is the same info I had when I did my research to buy my used 450h. Plus, my co-worker's 2004 Prius has over 200K problem free miles and still on the original drivetrain, and battery. At that point it was just searching for the year, color combo, and features of what I wanted.

After several months owning, I would say I did good. No problems or suprises so far. Actually I am pleasantly suprise of how powerful this thing is when in Sport and Power mode.

Make sure you do your homework on the car's maintenance and recall history. Depending on your driving references, you might want (or not want) to look into options such as ML, VDIM, or ****. Also do some reading on run flat tires on this car too. Good luck
Old 04-12-11, 09:43 PM
Troy113
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, im past the whole concern of long term reliability. Test drove the one i was looking to get today and unfortunately it did not work out. The car was not in as good shape as the dealer claimed it to be, both the exterior and interior. But i have to say that the drive was niice. The search continues, more motivated than ever.
Old 04-15-11, 07:02 PM
LexFather

There is absolutely no additional maintenance. Its like a normal car. The only thing is hybrid coolant might be low and need refilling which is at major service checks.

The battery replacement over 100k is hype, it doesn't happen and if it has (Prius) Toyota has also eaten part of the cost.

The biggest part is drive the car and use the hybrid powertrain instead of letting the car sit.
Old 04-15-11, 07:13 PM
Troy113
Driver School Candidate

Update: I went back to the dealer and went ahead with the purchase. '08 black sapphire, ivory interior, ML, 18k miles. It cleaned up pretty nicely after it was detailed and touched up
Old 04-16-11, 12:40 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
There is absolutely no additional maintenance. Its like a normal car. The only thing is hybrid coolant might be low and need refilling which is at major service checks.

The battery replacement over 100k is hype, it doesn't happen and if it has (Prius) Toyota has also eaten part of the cost.

The biggest part is drive the car and use the hybrid powertrain instead of letting the car sit.
+1. in fact, the feb/11 issue of consumers report was comparing how a 9 yr old prius held up. it did very well, and almost performed like new. i'll scan this and post up when i get a chance. this just shows how reliable hybrids are, and that if you are considering a GS450h, you should not have any major concerns with regards to reliability
Old 04-16-11, 03:40 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
if you are considering a GS450h, you should not have any major concerns with regards to reliability
Huge sigh of relief here.

This hybrid stuff is so new to me, I've been trying to ram my head full of knowledge in the last few days with this car.

Again, I need to tell myself and look at my past.

1997 Lexus SC300 30k-100k (Brakes, tires, belts, oil/filters)
2002 Lexus GS300 40k-115k (Brakes, tires, belts, oil/filters)

Only ever had to fix stuff that was wear and tear. Cant imagine this being any different.
Old 04-16-11, 04:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

please see attached pdf file from consumers report (feb/11 edition). if this doesn't convince you of the reliability of toyota's hybrid system, nothing will!
Attached Files
Old 12-21-11, 08:33 PM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

this is the most helpful thread i have read here. thx
Old 12-27-11, 08:19 PM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

My hybrid batter went out at 92,000 and I have heard that some of the RXs are having batteries die on them. I think the jury is still out when it comes to mileage tested batteries. Luckily I had 8,000 miles to spare on the warranty. Yikes!
Old 12-28-11, 05:27 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ghd8989
My hybrid batter went out at 92,000 and I have heard that some of the RXs are having batteries die on them. I think the jury is still out when it comes to mileage tested batteries. Luckily I had 8,000 miles to spare on the warranty. Yikes!
Any idea on what the invoice was?

Often they give an invoice with prices, then zero it out due to warranty. The inv is for your records
Old 12-28-11, 06:04 PM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

I didn't ask for one. Its a 5,200 for the battery. Pretty scary.
Old 12-29-11, 05:13 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Its true that sometimes the battery does go but the number I'm hearing is 90k nothing below, and its a rare occasion, I wouldnt worry yourself so much. Lexus makes a solid car.
Old 01-04-12, 07:04 AM
bamachem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ghd8989
My thread

I was told that my battery was the first documented failure in a GS450h, but that they had some failures in the RX's already - but extremely rare and very few. I was also told that the warranty is an unwritten "unlimited mileage and age" on the hybrid system because Lexus wanted the parts back and that they wanted to take care of their customers. We'll see...

Quick Reply: Long term reliability and maintenance?