Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

CVT and rear Differential plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 08:57 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I had to use a little pump/syphon bought at a local auto parts store.
Old 01-25-16, 09:28 AM
suprafantx
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to add few things I observed after doing both front and rear fluid changed. I had my RX400h on the drive way so it is a litle up hill.
For front CVT, I saw Lexus put more fluid in the gear box because alot of fluid came out when I opened the fill plug. I measured the oil and it is 4.4 qts total but I was only able to put 3.6 qts back in there. It is bug me that now I have .8 qts short so I tighten the fill plug and and drive the vehicle with both passenger wheels on the ramps. I was able to add another .8 qt.. Both fill and drain plugs are the same with out magnet.

For the rear, it is alot easier to change the fluid because the amount drained out and filled in is very much the same. It is about 1.8 qts. The drain and fill plugs are not the same. The drain plug has magnet so you can see some fine metal attached to it.

Oh, it is 2007 RX400h AWD with 90000 miles.
Old 03-11-16, 08:44 AM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomas1
Ok guys my first maintenance, my new to me 2008 RX400h has an unknown on the CVT and Rear differential fluids changes...WS? and here are the pictures are these the plugs for drain and fill..circled in red. CVT 4 qts? and Rear 2 qts?...Thanks for the help oh and 88 almost 89k miles on the car...
Does the vehicle need to be running (warm) to top off the fluid after replacement?
Old 03-12-16, 09:33 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by arsooner
Does the vehicle need to be running (warm) to top off the fluid after replacement?
No it does not need to be running but you should run it a minute prior to top off just to blow the air out of the lines and get an accurate level.
Old 04-18-16, 08:49 AM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

Great pictures. Just completed my front and rear CVT fluid change on my 06 Rx400h w/ 90M, first time changed. Not bad at all. Was able to side under the vehicle, no jacks. Drained the fluid and was really surprised how clean it was at 90M. Rear was even cleaner. Actually thought about waiting but hey, cheap insurance. I have the tow package so wanted to be sure on the 4.4Q +/- front & 2Q rear. Got just over 4Q out of front and 1.5Q rear; .5 short?. Used the HF pump with Toyota ATF WS. The plugs are 10mm hexs & I think 3/8" male NPT. The reason I mention this is I used a brass fitting (1/4"OD barb & 3/8" NPT male) to fit the 1/4" ID transfer hose. This way I could screw the fitting in the CVT fill hole (not tight, want it to breath some), put the transfer hose on the barb and get out from under the vehicle to pump easier. Once I got close to the required quarts of fluid, back under I went to top them off. Much easier!! Got just over 4.0Q in the front before it started running out and did get the 2Q in the rear. Still not sure why only 1.5Q came out of thr rear, there were/are no visiable leaks. Over-all job not bad at all.
Old 05-16-16, 11:10 AM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

arsooner, you must be skinny.. I did the fluid last weekend and had a hard time getting under there with out the jacking. The front end was pressing on my chest and I had a hard time reaching.
I need to try your threaded adapter technique. I used a siphon pump which I thought was a regular pump.. PITA. I made a funnel out of an empty oil quart container with the little hose of the siphon pump and it took forever to slowly drain the fluid into the transmission case. I used a string to help hold the hose into the filling hole. (tied it to something near it) I had to fill the funnel at the top can constantly monitor when it finally spills out the bottom and then try to stop the flow after it fills made a bit of a mess. I put 3.5Qt in the front, drove around and put another 0.5Qt in there. 2Qt in the back.

Note.. buy 4 washers!. I bought two only to realize after I started the job..doh!
The cost for WS fluid varied from $9.50 to $14 per Qt from different dealers. I called around before making the trip. I grabbed 7 Qts of it.

Here is the torque specs I found for the rear drain/fill bolts 29Ft-lb. I assume the front is the same.

Last edited by jooksing82; 05-21-16 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (06-28-23)
Old 05-18-16, 05:15 PM
Smily
Driver School Candidate

I replaced both front and rear transmissions couple of days ago for the second time at 148000, first time was at 90000. It did not look really dirty but I was hearing a roaring sound from the rear so this was a precaution, I think it is the tires getting a little noisy with about 68000 on them. I decided to use wal mart super tech dexron IV. RX400h
Old 05-23-16, 06:27 AM
arsooner
Driver School Candidate

Jooksing82: Not as skinny as I would like to be. Agreed the front was tight. Being a one man show I thought if I could find a barbed brass male fitting to screw in the fill hole it would make it easier and it was. I did the funnel trick on my 05 SRX trans. Not bad till you have to pull the hose out....have to be fast!! Thxs for the tork spec.

Smily: I agree at 90M it really was not what I would consider dirty, like oil dirty. But I changed it anyway. Will be interesting to look at it again at about 180M'ish. Now the wal mart super tech dexron IV, every thread said Toyota ATF WS "PERIOD". Will be interesting to see how it works out. Please post if its good or bad. It is much cheaper.
Old 05-23-16, 09:12 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Smily
I replaced both front and rear transmissions couple of days ago for the second time at 148000, first time was at 90000. It did not look really dirty but I was hearing a roaring sound from the rear so this was a precaution, I think it is the tires getting a little noisy with about 68000 on them. I decided to use wal mart super tech dexron IV. RX400h
Oh lord, That is a no, no. Type WS fluid only for the hybrid transmissions. I would not use Tech dexron IV. Even Amsoil a very respected fluid doesnot recommend anything other than Toyota Type WS fluid....
The following users liked this post:
iMSQ (03-08-21)
Old 06-06-16, 08:47 PM
cbr900boy
Driver School Candidate

I just did this myself thanks to this post. The transaxle fluid was dark but the rear diff fluid looked new, go figure.
Old 07-06-17, 12:44 AM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque on drain plugs

Ok guys my first maintenance, my new to me 2008 RX400h has an unknown on the CVT and Rear differential fluids changes...WS? and here are the pictures are these the plugs for drain and fill..circled in red. CVT 4 qts? and Rear 2 qts?...Thanks for the help oh and 88 almost 89k miles on the car...
What is the torque on these drain plugs? Are crush washers same size? TIA
Old 07-06-17, 07:00 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TommyTT
What is the torque on these drain plugs? Are crush washers same size? TIA
The torque specs are earlier in this thread, 29 ftlbs. and yes crush washers are all the same.
Old 07-06-17, 12:20 PM
TommyTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torqoue specs and crush washers

The torque specs are earlier in this thread, 29 ftlbs. and yes crush washers are all the same.
The parts clerk at the dealer told me an untruth. Boggles my mind.
Old 09-10-18, 04:29 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So if anyone is still following this thread, I recently purchased a 2006 Highlander Hybrid AWD. I had mechanics at 2 different Toyota dealers tell me that the rear takes 80w/90w gear oil. Now this wouldn't be the first time I've gotten the wrong info from the dealer...go figure. I already replaced the front with WS.
Old 09-10-18, 08:31 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Smily
I don't believe you should have used that fluid...Stick withToyota WS for the CVT transmission....just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: CVT and rear Differential plugs