Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Navigation, phone book, MP3 override

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 09:01 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Navigation, DVD, phone book, MP3 override

It has been 3 weeks since I bought my 400h and the navigation lock was getting on my nerves, to put it mildly. Finally, after research, ordered the BeatSonic NT kit and installed it last weekend. I am back to liking my 400 h again!!!!! The override makes life so much easier and I will be glad to answer any questions and guide any folks interested in the install.

Also installed the VIAS tech iPod interface while I had the whole dashboard opened up.

Cheers.

Last edited by rx400h1976; 03-10-11 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Added DVD override.
Old 02-19-11, 04:17 PM
stive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the override, what year 400h? Does the model of audio unit matter? And, how is the VAIS system working?
Thanks
Old 02-20-11, 06:57 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Mine is a 2008 RX 400h.
The override that I have installed from BeatSonice has 2 modules - one for the nav and the other for audio/phone override.
The nav override is not connected in anyway to the audio unit, so it does not matter. If you want to have the audio/phone override, then, I can look it up.
VAIS system is simply awesome. All the playlists, albums etc show up on the nav screen and the iPod is controlled completely through the nav screen (all while charging the iPod).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-11, 09:29 PM
mctufts
Rookie

This is a continuation of this thread with a write-up of the installation of the Beat Sonic DVD-Bypass.

1) For those who can watch DVDs on their navigation/multi-display screen by just inserting a DVD and putting on the parking brake (those with Mark Levinson or Rear Entertainment System I believe), this allows you to play those DVDs and watch them from your navigation screen while in motion.

2) For both those with or without DVD playback functionality, this will unlock the ability to watch videos from your Ipod/IPhone on your navigation/multi-display screen while moving, ONLY if you have the ability to send video input from such a device (via a VAIS SL2Vi interface unit for example)

(if I left anything out above or was inaccurate, please let me know and I will edit)

The Beat Sonic is one of a few modules out there that allows either DVD or other video playback on your navigation/multi-display screen while in motion. Prestigious Society and Coastal Tech both make similar modules. Again, you MUST have the ability to either play DVDs in the first place or send video input to your nav/multi-display screen to take advantage of this module. Otherwise, there's no point in getting it.

Before beginning, I am assuming that installers are somewhat familiar with the process of removing the stereo and then the nav/multi-display unit. If not, nav/multi-display unit removal is covered briefly after removal of the stereo. There are plenty of great guides out describing stereo removal, some of which are mentioned in the following thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...o-install.html
Old 03-09-11, 09:52 PM
mctufts
Rookie

This first picture is after the stereo has already been removed. There are simply two more bolts that have to be removed from underneath the nav/multidisplay unit. After removing them, just find a place underneath the nav unit to grasp it firmly and pull. It requires a decent amount of force but doing so will disengage the clips holding it in.

The next picture is a top down view of the connectors behind the Nav/multidisplay unit. This is the view when you've pulled out the Nav unit but haven't disconnected anything, peering over the top of it to see the connectors. You can see three differently sized white connectors. The one you're interesting in removing is the right-most one from this top down view. If you unplug the whole unit and flip it around, the one you'd want to remove would be the left-most one.

This next picture is of the connector removed. Once removed, simply plug it into the empty female connector from the Beat Sonic and plug in the male connector from the Beat Sonic into the now empty nav unit connector.

Plug back in the nav unit. Now all that's left is the wire from the Beat Sonic that must be ground somewhere, which at this point, should be dangling underneath the nav unit. The following is a picture of the wire, which is conveniently separated out from the Beat Sonic connector.

Simply connect the ground wire to one of the two bolts you had to remove to take out the nav in the first place, and screw it back it. The next picture shows the ground wire now attached to the right bolt.

And that's it! Not too bad right? Will post a pic of where my switch is placed in the following post. Sorry about the different sized pics...some were obviously re-sized and some weren't...
Old 03-10-11, 12:15 AM
mctufts
Rookie

So here is a picture of the where the switch is mounted in my car. Its below the glove compartment, to the left. Although it looks pretty big in the picture, I felt as though its well hidden. Can't really see it unless you crouch down to look for it.

Old 03-23-11, 06:55 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I just got my beatsonic and am waiting for the vais unit...So you used just the TV harness from Beatsonic? I saw the Radio control wiring and it has a really long cable to the switch...I ordered the Vais with IPOD only interface the UP version... Is this all I need? I have the ML system in my car and it does play DVD...Will the DVD play with just the Nav TV switch from Beatsonic?
Old 03-23-11, 09:10 PM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Which unit from BeatSonic did you order? The one with the really long cable (push switch) is the NAV override.
The other one with the sliding switch is the DVD/Phonebook/MP3 override.
Old 03-23-11, 09:48 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Hey,

Like rx400h1976 said, might be better able to help if we know which module you're installing. Can you describe what's included in the Beat Sonic module you purchased and the model number? If it is only the Nav Bypass module, then it will NOT give your car the ability to play DVDs on the Nav screen while in motion. You will still only be able to play DVDs on the nav screen with the parking brake on. The Nav unit will however, allow you to input addresses and such into the navigation computer while in motion. Only the DVD Bypass module allows DVD playback while in motion. Looking at their website, they sell either unit alone or together. Assuming that it IS just the DVD bypass module you're installing and that the module is installed in the same way that it is on my 2006 rx400h (might be different in your 2008):

1) To hook it up, you need to access the back of the navigation unit. I only pulled it out enough so that I could peer over the top and see the connectors. As per the picture in the guide above, from this view, it should be right most connector. Remove this connector by pressing down on the tab on top of it (otherwise, won't be able to remove) and pulling it out. Then, connect it to the empty female Beat Sonic connector. After doing so, plug in the male Beat Sonic connector into the now empty female connector of the Navigation unit. Then, snap the navigation unit back into place. If it is indeed a similar module, you will still have a ground wire to connect. Per the pictures above, this is the yellow metal piece that kind of looks like a caliper. I found the easiest place to attach it was underneath one of the bolts you must screw back in when replacing the nav unit. Place it where the bolt is screwed back in, and then screw the bolt in over the ground wire. Then, you should be done!

2) Not sure what you meant when describing the long radio control wire leading to a switch. All I had was the wire leading from the Beat Sonic connector to the switch. Installation of the unit did not involve the radio at all in my case.

3) If, as you stated, you can play DVDs on your nav screen, the DVD Bypass module will allow you to do so while in motion, simply by flipping the switch. So, flip the switch and you no longer have to be parked with the parking brake on to watch a DVD on the nav screen.

4) Great to hear that you got a VAIS Sl2i-UP. I have a VAIS Sl2Vi for Ipod/IPhone video and audio and it works great with NO issues. Extremely happy with their product.

Last edited by mctufts; 03-23-11 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-24-11, 07:19 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I ordered the NT 3712 which includes two wiring harnesses...One for nav and one phone
One harness has a short cable going to switch (maybe a couple of feet) and the other harness (with push button) has a really long cable. The Short one says TV on it. (has a slide switch)
I'm thinking all I want is the DVD bypass installed...I really dont want to input address while in motion...

Last edited by thomas1; 03-24-11 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-24-11, 07:04 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Got it, I believe the '37' in 'NK 3712' is just for the DVD bypass module and the '12' for the Navigation unit. In that case installation of the module should be the same as it was for mine seeing as I had the same model number unit.

In this case, there is no need to mess with the radio. Good luck installing if you haven't already! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-11, 08:23 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Thanks so you installed the one with the TV slide switch, I am waiting for my Vais unit, then I will take the dash apart.
Old 03-24-11, 08:42 PM
mctufts
Rookie

Yes, I installed the one with the sliding switch, not the push button one. Are you using your iPhone or iPod with the Vais? If it's the iPhone or video iPod, did you consider the Sl2vi which can play videos from your iPhone/iPod? Figured such a module would be more useful now that you're installing a DVD bypass as this would allow iPhone/iPod videos to be played while in motion as well. Of course it is more expensive though and at that point, might as well get their Sl2ci or ML Plus, which have even more features.
Old 03-25-11, 07:40 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

No, I went for the ipod harness for music only. I believe the Vais 2up... I only have a ipod touch...no phone..
Old 03-26-11, 12:39 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Well finished the install, put the vais2up down by the right panel like others did...nice location and easy access. Had problem programming, but it finally worked...instructions are weird..says to put left switch in up position, wait for beeps,then put both switches up...listen for confirmation beep, and than it says to put both switches up (ok they already were)...Anyway it is late didnt have time to really play...I see i need to organize my playlist better..but at least it works..not sure yet about the DVD in motion...try tomorrow.. I installed the Beatsonic DVD bypass...

Quick Reply: Navigation, phone book, MP3 override