Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Tire Wear on 450...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 01:07 PM
dennison17
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Tire Wear on 450...?

I've had my 450 for about a year and notice that tires are wearing a little more than I would expect. (I drive pretty conservatively, so aggressive cornering, etc. is not an issue.) I'd love to hear from others as to their experiences. Also, I recall an old post (that I cannot seem to find) in which someone indicated they went through a set of tires, but the dealer (?) or a national tire (?) gave them some sort of prorated discount for the first set of replacements...? Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Budman
Old 11-26-10, 02:27 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dennison17
I've had my 450 for about a year and notice that tires are wearing a little more than I would expect. (I drive pretty conservatively, so aggressive cornering, etc. is not an issue.) I'd love to hear from others as to their experiences. Also, I recall an old post (that I cannot seem to find) in which someone indicated they went through a set of tires, but the dealer (?) or a national tire (?) gave them some sort of prorated discount for the first set of replacements...? Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Budman
What brand do you have on your car? And how many miles?
Old 11-26-10, 04:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

chances are you have no such proration unless you paid for the tire package when you bought the car. I believe Canadian RXs may be different, they may get some sort of warranty for their tires.

Dont bother with going to the dealers when your tires are in need of change. Your best bet is to either go to Costco to get Michelins or order them from tirerack.com but its a bit of a pain to have them shipped to you and then find an installer.

just for reference:

Costco:
Michelin Latitude Tour (OEM): $274 per tire with road hazard already included

Bridgestones Dueler (OEM): $215 per tire with road hazard already included

Tirerack.com:

Michelin Latitude Tour (OEM): $207 per tire, road hazard is $24 per tire. current promotion of $70 back in rebate

Bridgestones Dueler (OEM): $212 per tire with road hazard at $25.44 per tire

Dunlops GrandTrek Touring (OEM): $129 special pricing with road hazard at $15.48 per tire. After promotion is $175 each tire.
Old 11-26-10, 06:09 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...one-tires.html

An earlier discussion of OEM tires.
Old 11-26-10, 06:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd recommend checking the dealership just in case they have any specials. I replaced the tires on my 330 last year before I traded it in for the 450h. I got the OEM Michelins for less than my favorite tire guy who is part of a chain. Alignment was free and I received $$ off the total. Plus I received a rebate from Michelin.
Old 11-26-10, 06:41 PM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by kitlz
I'd recommend checking the dealership just in case they have any specials. I replaced the tires on my 330 last year before I traded it in for the 450h. I got the OEM Michelins for less than my favorite tire guy who is part of a chain. Alignment was free and I received $$ off the total. Plus I received a rebate from Michelin.
Anita
Same here. Some dealers will clean you on tires, but some want your business. When I changed the OEM tires on my 03 RX through my dealer, it was way cheaper than the best price at places like NTB.
Old 11-27-10, 09:52 AM
dennison17
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Wear on 450

As a reply to Jim, I have Dunlops that came on the car. I have about 10,000 miles and they arn't too bad, but I can notice a little more wear than I would expect with 10k miles. It got me thinking about a post or two a year ago or so about disappointing wear with the Hybrids. I know extra weight must have something to do with that.

Thanks for the info folks!!

Budman
Old 11-27-10, 11:33 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

As a reply to Jim, I have Dunlops that came on the car. I have about 10,000 miles and they arn't too bad, but I can notice a little more wear than I would expect with 10k miles. It got me thinking about a post or two a year ago or so about disappointing wear with the Hybrids. I know extra weight must have something to do with that.

Thanks for the info folks!!

Budman
I just had my 450h in for a PA State Inspection and they recorded the tires as having 8/32 remaining tread. I have no idea what the starting tread depth was. I have the Dunlops with about 13,000 miles.

This is the first set of Dunlops I have ever had in my life. I have had Michelins on four sedans that I owned since 1997 and liked them. This is the first crossover I have owned so it is tough to compare tires to those used on a sedan. I will say that I had a 2010 350RX loaner, when mine was in for service, that had Michelins and I was surprised at the level of road noise that they exhibited as compared to the Dunlops.

If the Dunlops continue to handle well this winter, after a year of wear, I will have to give them serious consideration when it is time to replace them.
Old 11-27-10, 12:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm pretty happy with the Dunlops too. So far so good and decent in the snow. When I bring my 450h in next month for service, I will have the dealer check the tire depth.
Old 11-27-10, 12:28 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

Budman
Almost all new cars have tires that offer the best ride during the demo. They could care less what kind of mileage you get, they just want to make the sale and the soft tires do that.

Whit
Old 11-27-10, 01:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I always buy tires from Tire Rack and have them shipped to my local shop.
On their site,Tire Rack has a list of installers they can ship right to in your zip code area.
Old 11-27-10, 02:21 PM
Cruiter

Default Michelin Lattitude tires

My OEM Michelins turned over 18,000 miles today and judging the tread by sight, I think there is still 50% or more usable tread left. So if I'm right, it will be on the plus side of 30,000 before I need to replace them. Considering their quite ride and excellent handling, I won't have a problem keeping the brand.
Old 11-29-10, 12:31 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding tire rack-I bought a set of Corvette run flats thru them-local firestone place put them on for 40 bucks a tire (its a pain in the rear end) and I wound up saving a bundle--the dealer after said he could have done the same net price.

After
Old 07-28-12, 05:30 AM
felixm79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 40k on my 450h still with original tires, however the interior of the tires is shot but the tread on the tire is still great, just the inside edge if worn, my dealer tells me they rotated my tires every service but failed to tell me the tires had unusual wear ,
Defenefly not buying tires from from the dealer, as I sit in the waiting area 2 other customers have the same issue, interesting...
Old 07-28-12, 07:15 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

40K on the original tires? The Michelins on my '08 400h needed to be replaced at 28K! You must have great roads in CT or are a "gentle" driver.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear on 450...?