Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation > Hybrid Technology
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

what gas to use in rx 450h?

Old 01-13-14, 10:45 AM   #46
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
Welcome to CL, Cheryl. I do mostly city driving and relatively short commutes too. Fill up twice a month with half a tank left. I've stuck with Shell V-Power (93 octane, NJ doesn't have 91) for the past 4 years. Over the weekend I paid $3.99 which included a $.10 premium per gallon for using a credit card. Yeah, I know but I don't like to carry cash. Plus a credit card is replaceable, cash isn't I don't have any personal experience with Costco gas. Have you used them in the past with positive results? I understand their brand has additives. It probably won't hurt to give them a try. But I'd stick with premium. The cost difference is really negligible with the amount of miles you drive a year.
Believe the Sunoco by the Port Authority Tunnel plazas is where you can get 91 (Sunoco or Shell, can't think off the top of my head).

I've seen a noticeable drop in mpg when switching to lower octane. Possible because the rest of the county doesn't have to deal with stop and go and almost every corner like we do in the metro areas. In the end, save a couple of pennies at the pump, lose effeciency so why bother.

My V8 GS gets between 11-13 mpg in the city so getting double that or more is all gravy to me anyway. Still having a hard time adusting to twice a month fill ups versus once a week, but learning to love it.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 02:05 PM   #47
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oohpapi44 View Post
Believe the Sunoco by the Port Authority Tunnel plazas is where you can get 91 (Sunoco or Shell, can't think off the top of my head).
Fugheddaboudit with all that crawling traffic. Plus I have two Shell stations diagonal from each other in town. I think you're right about Sunoco. IIRC, they sold 87, 89, 91 and 93. Haven't been to one in a long time.

A dear friend told me years ago 'with quality you only cry once.' It happened to be after I purchased my first RX. I think it can apply to many other things including gas. But quality doesn't always have to equate most expensive. Do your homework and shop around. I've had great luck with Shell which is the main reason I've stuck with the brand.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 03:52 PM   #48
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

As someone noted in an earlier post the debate continues, lol. Many many people out there run 87 octane and their cars run fine, just as many run 93 octance and get better gas mileage than they do when running 87. Remember the old saying "your mileage may vary".

I will add this however if you have the ability and it is not completely cost prohibitive run NON-ETHANOL gas whenever you can. There is an immediate 4-5% bump in MPG from the pure gas due to its chemical nature and almost everyone I know sees more than that. Personally I sometimes see as much a s 20% increase in my Ema (2006 Prius, 366K Miles). Plus most people report much quieter engines with more power as well.

It is true that all gas contains additives to keep fuel injectors and that in general "top tier" gas may contian more but none of these additives are for adequate ethanol stabilization or buildup control, IMO. That can only be control by running pure gas or after market products like Lucas Oil Ethanol Fuel Stabilizer. I use an app called Pure Gas that allowes me to find local pure gas stations. It isn't as good as Gas Buddy but does an adequate job.

Happy driving,
Chris
CBarr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:59 AM   #49
bring
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=CBarr31;8400757. I use an app called Pure Gas that allowes me to find local pure gas stations.

Happy driving,
Chris[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info. I downloaded the app and found the nearest "pure" gas to me is 20 miles away - bust. Never knew that diluting it gave worse mileage....
bring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 09:55 AM   #50
Aptosuser
Driver

There is a grand total of 10 (ten!) pure gas stations in California, according to Pure Gas. The closest ones to us are more than 100 miles away. And they're not near the freeway, Highway 101; they're at boat marinas on a couple of big out-of-the-way reservoirs. I'll have to pass.

2010 AWD RX 450h Starfire Pearl
2012 Camry XLE Hybrid Plain Vanilla

MPG courtesy of Fuelly
Aptosuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 06:35 PM   #51
razo168
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (1)

I've been using 91 - I used to use 87 on my non-hybrid..
razo168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 06:35 PM