Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Been Averaging 26-29 MPG

Old 09-11-10, 07:41 AM
LexFather

Smile Been Averaging 26-29 MPG

After having a lead foot for a couple of months (averaging 22 MPG) I decided to monitor my MPG better. Thats hard when this car is so swift as most of you are aware.

I am a firm believer in Shell gas and I feel it delivers the best MPG for me. I've tried multiple gas additives trying to see if it helps. So the last two tankfuls I tried Chevron with Techron 12ox Complete Fuel Cleaner (I need to check the exact name).

After two tanks I have noticed a significant bump in MPG. Putting in in normal mode I can achieve 28-29 MPG on the highway between the speeds of 60-70 MPH with one additional passenger.

Around town in the city MPG does drop but I have averaged over 26 MPG.

The biggest hurt to MPG is cold starts. If you are going to be parking and moving often it really hurts MPG.

Its funny to drive the 2GS 430 and seeing the gas needle seemingly move and then driving the GSh and I am literally getting 10 MPG more in a faster vehicle.

Love the technology! Looking forward to the next GSh!
Old 09-11-10, 06:03 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Besides slowing down, have you tried any other techniques?

Personally I've been coasting to stops and at times have switched to manual mode and downshifting to slow down. The car appears to regenerate the batteries at a greater rate when doing so. I also creep in and out of our neighborhood on electric only and try to do the same from lights (the power on tap makes that hard).

Since the GSh is my wife's daily driver I don't have much seat time with it, mostly on the weekend while running errands but she has been getting about 23mpg with a majority of her time spent on city/rural roads.
Old 09-11-10, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

26-29? DRIVE the car mike, drive it the way it should be
Old 09-13-10, 06:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Besides slowing down, have you tried any other techniques?

Personally I've been coasting to stops and at times have switched to manual mode and downshifting to slow down. The car appears to regenerate the batteries at a greater rate when doing so. I also creep in and out of our neighborhood on electric only and try to do the same from lights (the power on tap makes that hard).

Since the GSh is my wife's daily driver I don't have much seat time with it, mostly on the weekend while running errands but she has been getting about 23mpg with a majority of her time spent on city/rural roads.
I guess I use "hypermile" techniques but they seem like commons sense to me. Coasting down hills for instance. Like most Lexus and new luxury cars, the GSh is very easy to speed in so I'm really watching my speed.

Yes I try to use electric mode as much as possible in parking lots and at low speeds but range isn't great. It does help though.

Also I try to minimize idling as that just kills MPG.

Originally Posted by rominl
26-29? DRIVE the car mike, drive it the way it should be
lol Thing is I enjoy doing this in the GSh.
Old 05-02-11, 08:47 PM
LexFather

Been between 23.5-25 as of late.....city driving really hurts MPG, the car is fantastic on the highway in regards to MPG..I've even figured out the best routes that give the best MPG (hilly terrain, less lights, etc)....

Crazy to think I was lucky to get that on the HIGHWAY with the V-8....
Old 05-10-11, 11:57 AM
rickyb80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually get about 23 MPG's mixed hwy/city. I leave my car in PWR mode at all times and run on 20" staggered setup w/ NF210's. Does taking the car out of PWR mode give a noticeable fuel economy boost? It's just so hard for me to adapt to normal mode after being in PWR mode for like 4 months straight!