Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Few questions about my GSh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 07:52 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions about my GSh.

I promise that this is the last thread with questions

I picked up my Obsidian Black GS450h with the Black interior, with the navigation system (non-ML).

I was looking forward to using the navigation system's voice command system (say I'm hungry and it shows food POIs, say suspend guidance and it pauses it, say call 1234-5678 and it dials that number, etc). However, much to my dismay, the voice command feature seems to be limited to dialing by name ONLY. That's right, no dial by no., redial, dial by history, etc.

What's surprising is, the owners manual states that the aforementioned voice dialing features are only available on cars w/o nav, and cars with nav can only use the system to dial by name. What gives? Can I activate this (either the additional voice dialing features or the navi voice command) by a service menu or something? [seems to be the Gen6 nav as it has the light colored menu, BT Audio Streaming and the USB iPod interface]

Something else about the navi- is it possible to add languages (for the menus and voice guidance) to the system? Presently it is completely in English with English voice guidance. There is no Language option in Setup>General.

One thing I was particularly confused with was the multi-function display (the small screen in the instrument cluster). How do I turn features on/off on it? I knew how to do it on the RX (push button with the 'menu' icon on the steering wheel) but I can't find the equivalent on the GS. I can only change the auto-dimming of the instrument cluster by pushing MODE. The dealer told me that I can set the mirrors to automatically fold when turning off the engine and open when I start the engine from the MFD's menu. Possible or not?

Is the car supposed to come with a net? The hooks are in the back but no net.

Are the 2010 GSh's supposed to have a chrome strip across the back (under the Lexus emblem, above the license plate area), or is it just a regional option LexusHK added? It looks pretty ugly and I want to remove it, but not sure whether there are holes or something like that there.

Thanks everyone! I'll post pictures tomorrow... if anyone wants to see another GS

EDIT: I should probably add that the navi system seems to be the same as the Australian version (the navi manual states that the manual is for Hong Kong and Australian cars).
Old 08-09-10, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just a few points

1) lol the car isn't that impressive in english already man, doing cantonese won't help

2) net is supposed to be "extra", though most cars here come with it
Old 08-09-10, 09:35 AM
yamanote
Driver

Is it at least possible to install another voice for the navigation? The lady is a bit annoying...
Old 08-09-10, 09:48 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

It looks like the Hong Kong version is different from the US. I have a 2007 GSh with NAVI (and ML), and I can do dial by number and other commands. However, I never use this feature because GS voice recognition accuracy is abysmal compared to any other car manufacturer where I tried this feature.

To change the multifunction display view, push the Display button on the front of the right spoke of the steering wheel.
Old 08-10-10, 07:52 AM
yamanote
Driver

I don't mean cycling between the displays, I mean changing options.

(like the little list above as seen on the '10 RX)

Can I toggle on/off some functions in the MFD? I know that there are dedicated AFS on/off and Parking Assist on/off buttons but are there any more 'advanced' options I can change change in the MFD?
Old 08-10-10, 01:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

afaik, the GSh does not have a MFD like the new 2010 RX, nor does it have auto folding side mirrors. it's possible your 2010 GSh has them (HK possibly gets the JDM version of the GS?), so you'll need to post pictures of your dash, steering wheel and drop down console box (near your left knee) before we can advise.
Old 08-10-10, 01:46 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

That's right, the GS does not allow you to change options through the MFD. Instead, there are combination of button presses that you have to do to change user-adjustable options (like whether to unlock just the driver door or all doors). Read your manual on how to do this.

Then there is a bunch of options (like the sensitivity of the rain-sensing wipers) that can only be done by the dealer. They offer one free customization after the purchase of the car. Again, read your manual for the list of things that can be adjusted by the dealer.

It's an inconvenience that adjusting these options is so hard relative to some other modern cars, but at least Lexus offers user options for the important things. On the other hand, on our new Volvo XC60 it is extremely easy to adjust all options, but the car is missing some critical ones, like the setting to auto unlock all doors when parked.
Old 08-11-10, 05:54 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
afaik, the GSh does not have a MFD like the new 2010 RX, nor does it have auto folding side mirrors. it's possible your 2010 GSh has them (HK possibly gets the JDM version of the GS?), so you'll need to post pictures of your dash, steering wheel and drop down console box (near your left knee) before we can advise.
Oh, I see.

What exactly are you looking for in the dash/wheel/drop down console? What are the differences between the JDM and USDM versions? I'll take/post some pictures up tomorrow.

(but I think this car is the same as the Australian version as the manual has some mention of the AU version)

Originally Posted by Modeler
That's right, the GS does not allow you to change options through the MFD. Instead, there are combination of button presses that you have to do to change user-adjustable options (like whether to unlock just the driver door or all doors). Read your manual on how to do this.

Then there is a bunch of options (like the sensitivity of the rain-sensing wipers) that can only be done by the dealer. They offer one free customization after the purchase of the car. Again, read your manual for the list of things that can be adjusted by the dealer.

It's an inconvenience that adjusting these options is so hard relative to some other modern cars, but at least Lexus offers user options for the important things. On the other hand, on our new Volvo XC60 it is extremely easy to adjust all options, but the car is missing some critical ones, like the setting to auto unlock all doors when parked.
I see, I'll take a look through the manual.

I'm not sure whether Lexus HK is able to perform the Lexus Personalized Settings change, as the dealer did not mention it at all during delivery.

I wonder why they didn't just incorporate the ability to change the options in the touchscreen. I think the ES and RX can do this, and they're 6th gen navis, same as the GS?

Thanks everyone!

[not sure why this thread was moved to the Hybrid forum, as I was not discussing hybrid technologies, just the navigation system and other features which are mutual to the GS350/460?]
Old 08-11-10, 10:08 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yamanote
Oh, I see.

What exactly are you looking for in the dash/wheel/drop down console? What are the differences between the JDM and USDM versions? I'll take/post some pictures up tomorrow.

(but I think this car is the same as the Australian version as the manual has some mention of the AU version)
i believe my 2008 usdm GSh should be the same as your 2010 jdm GSh (except for a few differences), but i don't want to advise without confirming if there are any changes or differences. the worst thing (imho) is to assume something that may be incorrect or have no direct knowledge of!
Old 08-14-10, 07:03 AM
yamanote
Driver

Sorry- forgot to take pictures so I guess I'll take them tomorrow.

One thing I've noticed with the iPod integration- as soon as I stop scrolling for one second it automatically selects that album/artist/song. Is it supposed to be this way? Seems to be a weird design... is it possible to disable the 'auto select' 'feature'?

I'm using the integration with an iPhone 3GS and an iPod nano if that matters.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-10, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, the 2010 setup is pretty silly, i have read a lot of complaints. basically when you scroll, it will just pick up the new "selected" folders or songs, doesn't make sense