Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Toyota (Lexus) smart keymaker

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 02:23 PM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Toyota (Lexus) smart keymaker

I am curious if anybody has had any luck or tried out the "Toyota Smart Keymaker".

I ordered one, but find the instruction a little confusing to say the least (I tried to request product support, but only got a reply to return the item for a full refund lol).

Here is a picture of it...

Everybody in China / Japan sells these, and everyone who builds (clones, copies, whatever you want to call it) and sells them gives the same generic programming instructions.

I am curious if anybody has tried this out, or has a better understanding of the procedures. Yes, I know we do not have a start button, and yes I know the dealer can program the remote for me for an absurd amount of money. What I am looking for is help on programming a key please.

Cheers,

MadloR

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Use the main key to add the other keys:

Connect the programmer to the OBD port of the car, there are some short beep sounds after power on, it enters auto search car status.
Press the start button twice to wake up the anti-theft module. When the connection with the module is done successfully after 7 seconds, there is a long beep 4-5 sounds (4 sounds means the system is IV K system, 5 sounds means V CANBUS system). Wait 30 seconds, there are a long beep sounds, it means the car enter into add key state.
Add smart key: put the original car key (with the logo side) access to the start button, you should hear two beep sounds. SEC light will flash twice; within 5 seconds, put the key close to the start button, you should hear 2 beep sound, SEC light will flash twice; after learn all the smart key, wait 30 seconds till SEC light begin flash, and the car will close adaptation mode automatically.

All the key was lost or only have vice key, need to do initialization:
Press constantly the LED button, and plug into the OBD port of the car, after two short beep sounds, finish press, it enters into auto search car status.
Press the start button twice, in order to wake the anti-theft computer. When the connection with the Computer of car is done successfully after 7 seconds, there is a long beep 4-5 sound (4 sounds mean the system is IV K system, 5 sounds mean V CANBUS system), 5 seconds later, LED light go out. Wait 10-16 minutes,there are a long beep sounds, and LED light flicker, it means the car enter into study key state.
All keys lost matching mode: Add every smart key which need to program(with the logo side)access to the start button, meanwhile you will here two beep sound. SEC light will shine twice; After you finisher studying all the smart keys, wait 30 seconds till SEC light shining, the system will Auto-close study state

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Old 08-24-10, 07:50 AM
MadloR
Driver

Smile Works!!!!

Got it!!!! Now works!

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 08-24-10, 09:16 AM
prowler97
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what does this allow you to do?
Old 08-24-10, 10:36 PM
MadloR
Driver

Smile

Well, if you happen to know what the dealer charges for programming a key, you can do it yourself for a fraction of the cost. Which is basically what the programmer does.

In my neck of the woods, ordering a key from Lexus is about $300 plus taxes (it comes laser cut to your vehicle specific (if you happen to know your 5 digit key code). Plus the dealer will charge you anywhere from $75 to $125 dollars to program it to your vehicle (some charge an hour of labor, others charge a flat fee).

$400 (plus taxes) or so for a key, is somewhat exaggerated in my books.

I found a quality Switch Blade type of key (aka, VW style) $15 including shipping. Found a locksmith who could cut the key by the vehicle key code for $35 including shipping. Purchased on ebay the OEM type inner guts (the 3 button remote with transponder chip) for $65 including shipping. And finally, purchased the programmer from overseas manufacture for $35 including shipping.

In the end, I got a much better quality key (the master oem key broke at the plastic housing, where the key stresses the plastic housing the most, when you "crank" to turn the electronics on) that will be able to handle the heavy spring loaded ignition. I do not know why in god's name, they made the factory ignition switch so heavy and weighted. After several years of "lighting up the computers", the factory housing gave way and split. I tried heating and melting the housing to relieve the stress crack (worked for about 3 months), but it eventually broke. Then glued it (lasted about a month) with crazy glue, but it became brittle and eventually was useless. Had I purchased only the replacement key housing, it was about $150 (plus taxes) I would still remain with a poorly designed key.

Now, whenever I "flip" the key blade out by depressing the spring loaded release switch, I feel like I am flipping the dealer/lexus the finger.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 08-24-10, 11:42 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought the extra master keys from Ebay and took it to the dealer to get it cut and program, they charged me $95 for 2. You neck of the wood charges way too much for cutting or programming a key.
Old 09-01-10, 11:56 AM
espressoRX
Rookie

Is there any chance you could clear up those instructions in case someone wants to reference this thread in the future?
Old 09-01-10, 03:35 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Buy blank master keys from Ebay
2) Via Sales rep take the keys to service department to get it cut ( $95 for 2 )
3) Also via sales rep he asked one of the technician to program the keys in for no charge

To be frank, my sales rep never know about buying blank keys online at fraction of dealer's costs so he was willing to hook it up for me to see the process go through. Maybe he was thinking of doing this as a side action for make some extra $$$
Old 09-04-10, 12:28 AM
MadloR
Driver

Originally Posted by espressoRX
Is there any chance you could clear up those instructions in case someone wants to reference this thread in the future?
Will do a write up shortly...

cheers,

madlor
Old 09-14-10, 08:45 AM
ptan1968us
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadloR
Will do a write up shortly...

cheers,

madlor
Any chances for the write up yet??? I am indeed a couple keys programming. I hate to go to the dealers to deal with their hassle price and plus they're very reluctant to program for me if i bought the keys from somewhere else.
Old 09-15-10, 07:22 PM
fjohnson98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now does the smart keymaker only work if you have a master key? If so, it just basically does what you can do for free with the gas pedal/brake pedal dance. I do see some vague instructions for an "all keys lost" mode. Does this mean if I only have a sub key, I would be able to program it or another key as a master?
Old 09-17-10, 01:51 PM
Jonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow. Glad you found this module. thanks.
Old 09-25-10, 10:43 PM
ColdLexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does the Lexus dealership want to make us unhappy? Sounds like some good sales reps are taking care of some of their customers. Not here in Edmonton.
Old 10-07-10, 06:42 PM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else got this thing working?
Old 10-13-10, 06:05 AM
ycl1688
Driver

what does the write up means 'Press the start button twice to wake up the anti-theft module' where is the start button ? what I need is to add key. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-13-10, 06:41 PM
afaik
Driver School Candidate

Default How to program your lexus rx330 key

So I got my Toyota Smart Keymaker in the mail today. I was able to program my key and immobilizer for my 2005 RX330. Total cost was $119. $67 for key (Ebay user: midwestkeyless), $32 for Smart Keymaker (ebay user:accmonster ), and $20 to have the key cut at Lexus of Bellevue.

Here's what I did:
1) Buy Key/Transponder
2) Buy Toyota Smart Keymaker
3) Have key cut by dealer or locksmith
4) Program the keyless entry by:
Start with the key out of the ignition. Open the driver door (all other
doors are closed). Driver door is unlocked (other doors don’t matter).
Perform these 2. steps within 5 seconds
a. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out
b. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) Pull key out
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition (don’t turn it) and pull it out.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
a. Close, then open the drivers door.
b. Close, then open the drivers door.
c. Insert the key into the ignition and leave in the ignition.
Close the drivers door
Turn the ignition to ON (as far as you can go without cranking the
engine), then back to off .
d.
e. Remove the key from the ignition.

Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock
automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

USING NEW KEY:

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds
Press the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter
simultaneously for 1.5 seconds
a.
Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press
the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds,
the door locks should lock then unlock once indicating successful
programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps 6a and 6b
as the remote was not accepted.
b.
7. Open drivers door
5) Now to use the Smart Keymaker, just disregard all the engrish instructions you see online, it's pretty straight forward plug and play.

Put original MASTER key into ignition, plug in the Smart Keymaker to the OBDII port under the steering wheel, Turn ignition to ON, Don't crank. Wait a few seconds you will hear a bunch of Beeps and then a LONG beep that last for a few seconds. After that, turn the ignition to off and remove the MASTER key. Stick in the NEW key and turn to ON, just wait a few seconds. It should have programmed and you should be able to crank the engine on after that. At least that's how it worked for me.

- Good luck all
The following users liked this post:
richielind (03-10-23)

Quick Reply: Toyota (Lexus) smart keymaker