Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

New fog lights, DRLs and parking lights for the RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 08:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I believe the DRLs are Litech. I let the installer go with bulb selection since he knows more about them than I do. Even better, any problems and I go back to him. Realistically I should get a few years out of them. They're not that expensive.

Thanks.
I just did a search and they are Korean bulbs and very inexpensive at $15 a pair online.Scary cheap.
They do look less yellow,though.I've read expensive name brand bulbs look a bit better but still yellow.
Old 07-28-10, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Thanks.
I just did a search and they are Korean bulbs and very inexpensive at $15 a pair online.Scary cheap.
They do look less yellow,though.I've read expensive name brand bulbs look a bit better but still yellow.
Cheap isn't always bad If they go, it's not much money out of my pocket. And DRLs are the easiest bulbs to change.

Let me know how the install goes for you this weekend. I thought I read somewhere you were going to put in some Hoens. I'd be interested to see how happy you are with them.
Old 07-28-10, 10:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Cheap isn't always bad If they go, it's not much money out of my pocket. And DRLs are the easiest bulbs to change.

Let me know how the install goes for you this weekend. I thought I read somewhere you were going to put in some Hoens. I'd be interested to see how happy you are with them.
I'm going to give those Litech bulbs a shot for $15.
A bodyshop friend is doing the fogs and puddle changes probably this weekend.I'll see if these yellow Hoens are good.
I read a few on other forums like them as much or more than the Yellow PIAA ION Plasmas and they're about $30 cheaper shipped.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-29-10 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 12:06 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, the pictures should work now (fingers crossed).
I can see them now. Great! Really impressive difference in the comparison shot. Thx!
Old 07-28-10, 07:55 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped out the DRL with a set of PIAA's Ion Crystal bulbs. Works great during snow storms and fog conditions.
Old 07-30-10, 12:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

great job kitlz! do the 6K HID fogs match the LED headlamps in terms of color?
Old 07-30-10, 01:59 PM
spoon808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

niiice, good job! love the color.
Old 07-30-10, 07:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Stormforge
great job kitlz! do the 6K HID fogs match the LED headlamps in terms of color?
Pretty close. Think I should try 5K?
Attached Thumbnails New fog lights, DRLs and parking lights for the RX450h-get-attachment-8.aspx.jpg   New fog lights, DRLs and parking lights for the RX450h-get-attachment-9.aspx.jpg  
Old 07-30-10, 10:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty close. Think I should try 5K?
good question. if you are willing to experiment, you could try 5K and see if the color matches the LED headlamps more.
Old 07-31-10, 10:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I just had my buddy who works at a bodyshop install the puddle LEDs and fog bulbs.
The guy installed the puddle LEDs,Hoen yellow fog light bulbs,LED parking lights in less than an hour.
You CAN change the fog light bulbs from on top reaching down on a RX350.Probably on a 450h too.Took him 5 minutes to do the fogs bulb change.
He even took off the fog light outer frame section and installed the Lamin-x film pieces.That outside trim pops right off for a super easy install with no trimming.Trim piece pops right back on.
The film tabs can't be seen and and were left for easy removal if I desire to remove for whatever reason.
Old 07-31-10, 03:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Joeb, the installer couldn't get to the fogs when I had mine done. When I looked myself, it was pretty tight. Next time I remove the engine covers I'll have to look again. Are you going to change the DRLs?

Thanks for the tip about the fog light trim. I might try to tackle that and the puddle lamp change myself.
Old 07-31-10, 06:03 PM
Pajo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon high beam?

Thanks for the post kitlz. I'm in Oz and here we don't have drl's on the 450h. We do however have an unimpressive yellow halogen high beam lamp in combination with the led's.

Am I right in thinking that the replacement xenon you put in, is also used for the high beam? If so, apart from the colour of the light, does the xenon also give improved light output i.e. is it brighter, can you see further or better?
Old 07-31-10, 07:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Pajo, you are correct. The DRLs are also the high beams with the LEDs. I wasn't aware some people don't get the DRLs. To tell you the truth, I haven't driven at night to tell how much better the light output is. But I imagine they are after looking at the old versus the new DRLs during the day. The difference between the two is pretty drastic.

Here's a picture of the ugly yellow DRL in question for those who might be wondering how horrible it looks. The parking light is the same disgusting color but was changed to LED here so it's not as bad.
Attached Thumbnails New fog lights, DRLs and parking lights for the RX450h-get-attachment-10.aspx.jpg  
Old 08-01-10, 06:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Joeb, the installer couldn't get to the fogs when I had mine done. When I looked myself, it was pretty tight. Next time I remove the engine covers I'll have to look again. Are you going to change the DRLs?

Thanks for the tip about the fog light trim. I might try to tackle that and the puddle lamp change myself.
My buddy is5'9" and average build so you don't have to be tall with long arms to get your arm down to do the bulb change
The 450h just may have a tighter area.Probably does if he went from underneath.
I didn't do anything with the DRLs yet.I may try the Litechs you had installed.
The LED parking light from V-Leds that JDKane527 recommended is a great match with the HIDs.
BTW,I just noticed you have different trim pieces on your fogs so I don't know if that type trim comes off.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-01-10 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-01-10, 08:28 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Pajo, you are correct. The DRLs are also the high beams with the LEDs. I wasn't aware some people don't get the DRLs. To tell you the truth, I haven't driven at night to tell how much better the light output is. But I imagine they are after looking at the old versus the new DRLs during the day. The difference between the two is pretty drastic.

Here's a picture of the ugly yellow DRL in question for those who might be wondering how horrible it looks. The parking light is the same disgusting color but was changed to LED here so it's not as bad.
If your high beam = Drl like my sc and gs, I assume the bulb (assume it is a 9005/hb3) is only running 50% voltage at the bulb in drl mode.
For sure, the highbeam will look whitish at full power after a 5000+K light bulb change.

however, you are saying your new bulb now also looks whitish even at 50% power in drl mode?
Maybe the drl in RX450H LED headlight is completely different from others.

Quick Reply: New fog lights, DRLs and parking lights for the RX450h