Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Thoughts on extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 10:28 AM
New2RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on extended warranty

Just bought '08 400h -- very good condition but fairly high mileage (47K). Bought at non-Lexus dealership, so no option for "Lexus certified" vehicle (and the extended warranty). I generally don't like extended warranties on anything, but I'm wondering about one for this vehicle. Costs about $2-3K for 3-4 years. But I've heard bad stories about dealing with these third-party insurers (e.g., arguing about what is or is not covered). Given Lexus quality and knowing all necessary service was done on this vehicle, I'm tempted to just take my chances rather than pay for a warranty in which coverage could still be arguable down the road. I know there are some big ticket items that could go wrong with the 400h, but they'd have to go wrong in this time period (the 3 or 4 years) and indeed be covered for the warranty to "pay off." Anyone have any experience or thoughts? Thanks.

I'm a long time ES300 owner/driver. This is my first RX and I'm really excited about the 400h. Comments on this board and elsewhere helped me feel comfortable with this relatively new technology.
Old 07-21-10, 11:26 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the big ticket items are the batteries and the inverter for the h.....

AAA used to carry something like that...not sure if they still have those....

good luck

Last edited by kickin8; 07-21-10 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 03:15 PM
New2RX
Driver School Candidate

Default Length of powertrain & hybrid specific parts warranty

Thanks for the comments kickin --
Wouldn't the inverter be covered to 100K? Batteries too? So, I'm not sure how many other non-powertrain items would be expensive and therefore worth the cost of an extended warranty (which wouldn't cover things covered by the Lexus warranty). Is that right?

-Dave
Old 07-21-10, 03:38 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you need to read the fine prints of the extended warranty and see if they covers the engine, Nav and other electrical systems....
Old 07-22-10, 10:32 AM
Jetstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When evaluating an extended warranty, don't even consider one unless it lists items NOT covered. If they only list items that are covered, you are left to figure what items are on the vehicle that are not included in their covered list. Another important consideration is what is the maximum amount the warranty will pay out over its term. It's fairly standard that the amount is limited to the value of the vehicle. The warranty companies trying to scam you will limit the total amount to the amount of your permium. Good luck!
Old 07-22-10, 01:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
you need to read the fine prints of the extended warranty and see if they covers the engine, Nav and other electrical systems....
Good point!
I've read BMW extended warranties do not cover the NAV unit.
Old 07-23-10, 12:18 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go look at the Easy Care site. I am planning to use them soon. Prices are good, they are pretty specific about there plans and what they cover and do not cover. They were recommended by my dealership and a BMW dealer.
Old 07-23-10, 06:38 PM
LexFather

At Lexus dealers if they don't offer the warranty they go through Fidelity to offer 3rd party insurance so you might want to check them out.
Old 07-23-10, 06:47 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I just bought the lease on my 2006 CPO out and was offered a 2 or 3 year extended warranty from Lexus. I opted to pass on it as I still have the 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid components to go furthermore I feel that they would not offer 150,000 miles in states like California, New York and a handful more if the parts would not last. I am going for 60,000 mile service tomorrow.
Old 07-28-10, 06:15 AM
New2RX
Driver School Candidate

Default Tricky warranty policies

I've appreciated all the comments. From suggestions here, I've looked at the policies from AAA, Fidelity, and EasyCare in detail and a few others more briefly. I dismissed any company that wouldn't send its policy for review prior to signing up (e.g., Warranty Direct).

There are so many "war stories" out there that it makes going with any of them seem questionable. EasyCare does have a TotalCare plan that says all parts are covered except the listed ones. That's pretty straightforward, but they would likely still ding you when it comes to their shop rates or their estimates of hours needed for the repairs.

All plans focus on "mechanical breakdown or failure" which almost sounds like you have to be stranded on the side of the road before they'll consider coverage. Clearly, sometimes you'll know that something is failing (like a wheel baring, under certain circumstances) without the failure having actually occurred. Some plans allow for consideration of "apparent failure." A lot of the "war stories" from others focus on this mechanical failure issue.

Part of my original question had been to solicit others' thoughts on going with an extended warranty at all. My '08 400h is within about 2 months of going off the original bumper-to-bumper warranty, but as all of you know, the drivetrain warranty and the extended hybrid drivetrain and battery warranty go on for quite a while (70K or 100K miles). Certainly there are expensive non-drivetrain parts (like the nav system) that would be costly to repair. But given the overall quality of Lexus vehicles and the coverage of the drivetrain warranties, would others pay $2-3K for 3-4 years of insurance that may be problematic to collect on in the event that something does indeed "fail" during the warranty period? $2-3K would still go pretty far in fixing a lot of things that might "fail" in this period -- except for the very costly items like the Nav system.

Thanks for thoughts and opinions,
David
Old 07-12-11, 01:27 PM
jkeylon
Driver School Candidate

Hi David,
We just bought a 2008 400h with 46K miles at good price (and 5 hours of haggling).
This was a certified preowned one through Lexus, so most repairs will be covered till 100k mile mark or 3 years. We definitely wanted that included in our purchase...and also wanted Lexus Certification after comparing what you get with the CarMax add-on deductable coverage, the NewsCarsInc add-on through our credit union, or just "winging" it from a private buyer. But you can add the extended warranty yourself through Lexus before the 100k miles is up. And rather than the local place, I've read on a few forums that you can buy the extended warranty through any Lexus across the country and there was supposedly one in the midwest selling it for much cheaper over the phone (may be a good option!). And then again they are the best cars regardless so these insurance policies are just a gamble (that coincidentally...yeah right...benefit the Lexus/insurance companies).
--
Old 07-18-11, 05:21 AM
New2RX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the comment. I actually did get a Lexus extended warranty. It was the best warranty and it just seemed like the Lexus "people" would have more incentive to satisfy you if you did make a claim under the warranty -- as opposed to the other warranty options. The warranty was far cheaper at some other places besides my local Lexus dealership, which surprisingly was actually willing to discount their price. I bought mine from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Kansas (620-664-8844).

With the Lexus quality, I doubt I'll need the warranty for much, but it's nice to have it just in case.

-David
Old 09-13-11, 03:53 PM
kuduhunter
Driver School Candidate

I took a gamble and bought a 2006 RX400h with 97000 miles on it as got it at a good price. I was trying to find an extended warranty and checked into the Lexus extended warranty and it clearly states it does not cover the hybrid technology (batterries, inverter, etc). I am continuing my search if anyone has any further advice.
Old 11-04-12, 04:46 PM
skaelmore
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended Warrantee/Certification

I bought a 2007 RX400h in March 2 years ago. It was certified and I extended the years covered from 3 to 5. Last week I dropped it off at a dealership for an oil change. They called me back to say that the lower suspension arms were shot, water pump leaking, front brakes low (was told they probably would never wear out when I bought it), new timing belt due, front engine seals seaping and leaking. They said the warrantee covered $1,800, but I was on the hook for up to $1,300 beyond that. The car only has 82K on it so I was slightly shocked at a $3,100 estimate. I called the selling dealership and talked to a service manager who said that the seals should have been covered. He offered to call the dealer that was servicing the car and call the warrantee company (nice of him). He should call me back on Monday with the result. I'm glad I had the certification.
Old 12-10-12, 09:55 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Buy a Toyota Platinum Ext Warranty from Midwest Toyota.