Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX 400h Inverter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 12:51 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTR
any updates? anyone else have a failure or allowed to replace before failure. im at 96K and not feeling easy. I've had a TL tranny drop to 2nd gear on the freeway before, and even that was scary being on the inside lane.

anyone know the rough failure rates? or are all the inverters effected?

Thanks ahead
Both inverter and transmission failures are very rare in the RX. Only 3 or so of each has been posted. Also, in CA you may have a longer warranty.
Old 04-28-15, 08:21 PM
VNTR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smassey321
Both inverter and transmission failures are very rare in the RX. Only 3 or so of each has been posted. Also, in CA you may have a longer warranty.
Thanks a lot for the input smassey.

Do you think they will still warranty a 2006?
Old 10-19-15, 12:08 PM
volosong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 AWD with 200,000 miles on the odometer. CA car. Long out of warranty. Inverter coolant leak was first noted 20,000 miles ago. Recently started getting worse. Too expensive to fix, trade-in value nil. Time to call the junkyard?
Old 03-15-16, 12:49 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by volosong
2006 AWD with 200,000 miles on the odometer. CA car. Long out of warranty. Inverter coolant leak was first noted 20,000 miles ago. Recently started getting worse. Too expensive to fix, trade-in value nil. Time to call the junkyard?
What was the trade in value? I imagine it has to be better than junk yard price.
Old 03-18-16, 12:50 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by volosong
It wasn't covered under warranty?
Old 03-21-16, 04:14 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As you can see I was one of the owners that this happened to earlier on. . Fortunately, I was still within warranty as I needed a new inverter and shortly after a new transale. When I heard that a new inverter would have cost me about $7000 if I hadn't been in warranty, and a transaxle $5000 I decided that as soon as it was repaired I would be trading it in. Sounds like I made the right decision, although I really liked the 400h and the excellent fuel ecinomy. I traded it in on a 2006 Mdx back in 2012. The MDX now has 320 000 km on it and I have had no problems (fuel economy of course is brutal compared to the 400h)

Does anyone know if there have been similar problems with the 450h, the oldest of which are now approaching six years old? . Hopefully, Toyota upgraded the components in the 2nd Gen hybrid.
Old 03-21-16, 11:10 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcy
As you can see I was one of the owners that this happened to earlier on. . Fortunately, I was still within warranty as I needed a new inverter and shortly after a new transale. When I heard that a new inverter would have cost me about $7000 if I hadn't been in warranty, and a transaxle $5000 I decided that as soon as it was repaired I would be trading it in. Sounds like I made the right decision, although I really liked the 400h and the excellent fuel ecinomy. I traded it in on a 2006 Mdx back in 2012. The MDX now has 320 000 km on it and I have had no problems (fuel economy of course is brutal compared to the 400h)

Does anyone know if there have been similar problems with the 450h, the oldest of which are now approaching six years old? . Hopefully, Toyota upgraded the components in the 2nd Gen hybrid.
I assume you had coolant leaks from both correct? I believe the coolant leaks were related to the early ones. I have not seen coolant leaks affecting newer RX. My 06 had a trans axle coolant leak that was simply a leaking freeze plug. They replaced the entire trans axle under warranty but If I was not under warranty I would have had a machine shop fix the leaking freeze plug.
Old 03-28-16, 05:42 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

should be covered under the recall
Old 03-29-16, 06:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
I have not heard of recall for coolant leaks, which are you referring to ?
Old 03-30-16, 09:58 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

The RX400 inverter recall was for a board replacement inside the dry part of the inverter. When they changed mine no coolant was drained. So I doubt they will cover a leak under that campaign.
Old 03-31-16, 01:19 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Originally Posted by thomas1
I have not heard of recall for coolant leaks, which are you referring to ?
Guess I misread but how is volosong's issue a major thing? He wrote his coolant leak wasn't worth fixing...and he's going to junk the car??
Old 04-04-16, 07:16 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Guess I misread but how is volosong's issue a major thing? He wrote his coolant leak wasn't worth fixing...and he's going to junk the car??
He didn't say it wasn't worth fixing, he said it was too expensive to fix.
Old 04-04-16, 07:21 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

I assume you had coolant leaks from both correct? I believe the coolant leaks were related to the early ones. I have not seen coolant leaks affecting newer RX. My 06 had a trans axle coolant leak that was simply a leaking freeze plug. They replaced the entire trans axle under warranty but If I was not under warranty I would have had a machine shop fix the leaking freeze plug.
Yes. My posts are on here somewhere with pics (assuming the links aren't dead after all these years).

Yes, I had an early VIN #.

The first leak was on top of the inverter where the black cover mated to the main body. Repair was a new inverter.

The second leak was at the seam where the transaxle mounted to the engine. Repair was a new transaxle.
Old 04-16-16, 07:28 PM
jooksing82
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by whimmels
I own a 2006 RX400h. Have had to replace the inverter (part of hybrid system) at 99,600 miles. Leaking coolant. Anyone else have a similar problem? Fortunately covered under warranty as it is a $10k part.
Bill in CT
Darn, my 08 has started to leak.119k miles.

Old 04-22-16, 05:04 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jooksing82
Darn, my 08 has started to leak.119k miles.
If that were my car, and it probably will be some day, I would wipe it off and keep an eye on it. My transmission had a similar leak and it took 6 months until it got bad enough to leave a drop on the garage floor. The dealer actually did not change it under warranty until it got worse than what you currently have.

Once it got bad enough to make a mess I would disconnect the batteries, drain the coolant and pull the inverter so I could take it apart and see what is going on in there. Although I have never seen one apart, it sure looks similar to replacing a leaking oil pan seal. The dealers only replace things like this so there is not a lot of info on how to actually repair.

While you have the inverter out change the thermostat in the gas motor as the inverter is completely in the way .

Quick Reply: RX 400h Inverter Problem