Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Buying a GS450h now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 07:22 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a GS450h now?

Hey,

I am currently in the market for a new car and was originally considering a Lexus RX450h to replace both my current cars (JDM Odyssey and Mark X). However, I have decided to buy a sedan to replace the (gas-guzzling) Mark X instead.

I am looking at the GS450h- it seems to be perfect for me, high performance+luxury+reasonable pricing. However, seeing as this car (body style anyways) was released in 2006, is this car still going to hold its own in say 4 years (planning to keep it for around 4-5 years), when the next gen GS comes out? Will it [the update] be evolutionary or revolutionary?

Or would I be better off with the Mercedes Benz E250 or BMW 523i, seeing as how they have just been updated?

I really need to buy a car within the next month or so, so waiting for the 4GS isn't really an option.

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, in my Mark X with the super-huggy sports seats (necessary when you have a supercharger!), I have noticed minor pain throughout my body. Perhaps I'm just getting old! I suppose in the seat comfort area, I would be best off with the Lexus as opposed to the (comparatively) more power-oriented BMW and MB?

EDIT2: Does anyone know whether it is possible to install an aftermarket DVD player and component video AUX input jacks? If so, any suggestions?

Last edited by yamanote; 07-09-10 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 08:40 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I don't see the reasoning for driving/owning a hybrid (unless you do short, city drives and/or you're as green as Ed Begley, Jr.).

With that said, if you want a hybrid, I'd wait a couple years. New technology will be finalized by end of year and expects to be implemented for 2012.
Old 07-09-10, 08:56 AM
yamanote
Driver

As I live in Hong Kong, every single trip I take is plagued with stop-and-go traffic jams. The hybrid will help with my fuel economy as the battery will mainly be used in these situations.

Additionally, the government has a $50000 HKD ($6500USD) tax incentive for 'green' vehicles. Not a lot, but a lot when you consider the ridiculous tax for cars here in HK.
Old 07-09-10, 09:01 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bushwack
As I don't see the reasoning for driving/owning a hybrid (unless you do short, city drives and/or you're as green as Ed Begley, Jr.).

With that said, if you want a hybrid, I'd wait a couple years. New technology will be finalized by end of year and expects to be implemented for 2012.
For the power and improved gas economy on the highway. I went 95 mph from LA to Albuquerque and got 31.2 mpg.

You will love your 450h if you buy one.
Old 07-09-10, 09:25 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I think the CEO of Nissan summed it up nicely: "the problem with hybrids is that they are like mermaids. If you want a fish you get a woman. If you want a woman you get a fish."
Old 07-09-10, 10:14 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yamanote, i have both hybrids in my garage. if you are looking for comfort and good fuel economy, then get the RX450h. if you want better performance, get the GS450h. If you are afraid of your car being outdated, go for the RX450h as 2010 is the first year for the 3rd gen RX. but it all depends on what you want from your car.

not sure if mark levinson (or ML) audio is available in hk, but ML comes standard with a dvd changer here in north america as an option, so we don't need to add aftermarket dvd player. perhaps you can check with lexus hk to determine if ML option is available?
Old 07-09-10, 10:25 AM
yamanote
Driver

Hong Kong does not have the Mark Levinson option (in fact, you either take the car which is on the lot or leave it- there are no options whatsoever) so I will have to buy an aftermarket DVD player I guess.

The RX lacks a color screen and the parking camera is absolutely useless- the image is displayed on a tiny 2.4" screen in the mirror. Parking will be difficult with the RX and I just feel that I don't need something that large, so it will probably be one of the sedans.

Any comments on the seats? Are they comfortable, and do they provide enough back support? My MarkX's sport seats are very stiff and uncomfortable...

Also, seeing as your car is fully loaded- any comments on the ventilated seats? When I test drove the RX450h I couldn't even notice the ventilation, even when set to the max. The heating was excellent though.

As I said in the second post, I will most likely buy the hybrid if available, as I need the fuel economy and the tax reduction helps with my decision.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just noticed on the Lexus HK website that the GS300 (yeah, they're still selling these and not the 350) has voice navigation while the GS450h does not. Very strange. Would you pay $6000 more for the hybrid w/o nav over the GS300 w/ nav? Neither has the Mark Levinson sound system (only available on the LS it seems).

EDIT2: Disregard the first edit. There are two different variants of the GSh- an 'Elegance' model and the 'Deluxe' model. I will have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what the difference between these models is. The catalog and web site are absolutely useless!

Last edited by yamanote; 07-09-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 10:32 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

On the seats: I find them to be very comfortable and have done many 500+ mile drives in them and not felt sore or uncomfortable upon arrival. It is very easy to do a full tank of fuel without stopping in mine (325-350 miles). Seats do not offer a sport feel in terms of lateral support, but fine for all but the most spirited driving. Lumbar support is good and easily adjusted. Seat ventilation is weak, but better than not having it. Reduces the clammy/sweaty feeling on the back somewhat during long stretches.
Old 07-09-10, 10:37 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yamanote
Hong Kong does not have the Mark Levinson option (in fact, you either take the car which is on the lot or leave it- there are no options whatsoever) so I will have to buy an aftermarket DVD player I guess.

The RX lacks a color screen and the parking camera is absolutely useless- the image is displayed on a tiny 2.4" screen in the mirror. Parking will be difficult with the RX and I just feel that I don't need something that large, so it will probably be one of the sedans.

Any comments on the seats? Are they comfortable, and do they provide enough back support? My MarkX's sport seats are very stiff and uncomfortable...

Also, seeing as your car is fully loaded- any comments on the ventilated seats? When I test drove the RX450h I couldn't even notice the ventilation, even when set to the max. The heating was excellent though.

As I said in the second post, I will most likely buy the hybrid if available, as I need the fuel economy and the tax reduction helps in my decision.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just noticed on the Lexus HK website that the GS300 (yeah, they're still selling these and not the 350) has voice navigation while the GS450h does not. Very strange. Would you pay $6000 more for the hybrid w/o nav over the GS300 w/ nav? Neither has the Mark Levinson sound system (only available on the LS it seems).
i find the seats in the GS450h comfortable, it's a matter of adjusting the seats and finding the position that is comfortable to you. the vented seats in the RX450h is mainly just a fan blowing cool air. it helps, but if you are looking for the vented seats to be like your a/c, then you will be disappointed as that is not its primary function.

if fuel econmy is your main concern, perhaps the HS250h might be something to consider. it's definitely not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination, but should provide what you are looking for?

with regards to aftermarket dvd player, i would go with reputable brand name, such as alpine. the last i looked, i believe they have a dvd/navi combo player/changer (?). will require professional installation unless you are good at installing things yourself.

edit: something like this might be what you are looking for i think?
http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ina-w900/

mind you, that is a complete headunit, and there is no real way to install this unless you make major modifications to your dash. i propose a dvd changer which you can hook up to your factory radio, it should meet your needs. alpine should have a dvd changer that can do this.

Last edited by Stormforge; 07-09-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-09-10, 10:53 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by twylie
On the seats: I find them to be very comfortable and have done many 500+ mile drives in them and not felt sore or uncomfortable upon arrival. It is very easy to do a full tank of fuel without stopping in mine (325-350 miles). Seats do not offer a sport feel in terms of lateral support, but fine for all but the most spirited driving. Lumbar support is good and easily adjusted. Seat ventilation is weak, but better than not having it. Reduces the clammy/sweaty feeling on the back somewhat during long stretches.
Thanks! I assume that the seats are nice and soft, a la other Lexuses (Lexii?)? The problem with the sport seats in my current car is that they are incredibly stiff...

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i find the seats in the GS450h comfortable, it's a matter of adjusting the seats and finding the position that is comfortable to you. the vented seats in the RX450h is mainly just a fan blowing cool air. it helps, but if you are looking for the vented seats to be like your a/c, then you will be disappointed as that is not its primary function.

if fuel econmy is your main concern, perhaps the HS250h might be something to consider. it's definitely not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination, but should provide what you are looking for?

with regards to aftermarket dvd player, i would go with reputable brand name, such as alpine. the last i looked, i believe they have a dvd/navi combo player/changer (?). will require professional installation unless you are good at installing things yourself.
I guess the main function of the seat ventilation is just to keep your butt not sticky when driving in the summer

Unfortunately the HS250h is not available in HK (we only have the IS, GS, RX and LS) and no, I will not consider a Prius

Is the factory screen even capable of accepting inputs? It's the basic non-nav unit. Just afraid that I will buy the car, take it to the audio installation place and realize that I will have to install another screen or something ridiculous like that

Thanks!
Old 07-09-10, 11:08 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the factory screen even capable of accepting inputs? It's the basic non-nav unit. Just afraid that I will buy the car, take it to the audio installation place and realize that I will have to install another screen or something ridiculous like that

Thanks!
You're actually better off with non Nav if you want to do an external video input. www.vaistech.com offers a variety of options to add iPod/video/Sat inputs to the stock screen for our market, but external video can only be done on non Nav systems here. You may want to call them and see if they have any knowledge of compatibility of their products in your home market. If they don't offer something, I'd think you would be able to find something that would work for you in your country through another vendor.
Old 07-09-10, 01:19 PM
LexFather

Hey,

I am currently in the market for a new car and was originally considering a Lexus RX450h to replace both my current cars (JDM Odyssey and Mark X). However, I have decided to buy a sedan to replace the (gas-guzzling) Mark X instead.

I am looking at the GS450h- it seems to be perfect for me, high performance+luxury+reasonable pricing. However, seeing as this car (body style anyways) was released in 2006, is this car still going to hold its own in say 4 years (planning to keep it for around 4-5 years), when the next gen GS comes out? Will it [the update] be evolutionary or revolutionary?

Or would I be better off with the Mercedes Benz E250 or BMW 523i, seeing as how they have just been updated?

I really need to buy a car within the next month or so, so waiting for the 4GS isn't really an option.

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, in my Mark X with the super-huggy sports seats (necessary when you have a supercharger!), I have noticed minor pain throughout my body. Perhaps I'm just getting old! I suppose in the seat comfort area, I would be best off with the Lexus as opposed to the (comparatively) more power-oriented BMW and MB?

EDIT2: Does anyone know whether it is possible to install an aftermarket DVD player and component video AUX input jacks? If so, any suggestions?
I own hybrids and non hybrids. It is now in my opinion that the hybrid makes sense over a conventional engine. To me if I got back to a conventional engine it will be for an IS F or something of that level.

Don't expect magical MPG from the 450h but it is better than a conventional V-8. It also is quieter with 50% less NVH when the engine is off and the battery runs the car. It gets better emissions. Its rarer. Passing power is incredible.

You lose trunk space and its heavier than the other GSs.

I could not be happier with my 450h. My wife also loves it. I am very liberal with letting people drive and check the car out as a lot of people have no experience with hybrids let alone one with 340hp People always come away impressed.

I am also not some tree hugging hippie that thinks hybrids are the best thing since super thin condoms In other words the GS 300 is a fine vehicle as well in your case.

As for the next GS well it seems it will debut in late 2011 as a 2012 model. Not sure if the next GSh will debut then or wait a year like it did for this model (GS debuted as a 2006 model, GSh came in 2007). I also have no idea will the next GSh continue to be tuned for performance or more for MPG.
Old 07-09-10, 01:21 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Huh? Do you know anything about GS450h at all? Just calling it a "hybrid" appears to lump it with the likes of Prius. The 450h is a unique sports sedan that offers more power and fun that most V8 luxury cars. And the side benefit is that you get mileage of a thrifty V6 in the city or on the highway.
Old 07-10-10, 08:02 AM
yamanote
Driver

Test drove the GS450h today, with nav. The navigation system (without Mark Levinson) is a $4000USD option. As I suspected, ML is not available, and the only available audio system is the 10-speaker Lexus Premium Audio System.

I will probably get the GS450h with nav, and install an aftermarket DVD player with AUX input if possible. Any recommendations? Not looking for a replacement double-DIN unit, just the player+aux jacks. I think it already comes with a 3.5mm AUX input (not sure on vehicles w/o ML)?

Stormforge, do you notice that the GSh has a more audible 'hum' sound (when idling) than on the RXh? I noticed this and was wondering whether this was normal. My dealer claimed that this was because the GSh was designed as a more 'sporty' car and thus lets in a bit more engine noise?

The hum was only audible when idling though, not when moving at approx 60mph.

Thanks!

Last edited by yamanote; 07-10-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-10-10, 12:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few performance trade-offs that you make with the GS450H over the GS460:

1) Hybrid has slower acceleration from 60-100

2) Cornering ability - the higher weight and adverse weight distribution means that in Car and Driver's tests the GS450H did 0.81G on the skidpad while the GS460 matched the BMW 550i with 0.89G. With my Michelin PS2s you can get that over 0.9.

3) You lose a few feet of braking distance also due to weight.

4) For those in Germany, you lose about 20mph of the top speed.

Of course you buy a hybrid for fuel efficiency not for performance.

Quick Reply: Buying a GS450h now?