Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Vibrations on hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 06:15 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibrations on hybrid?

Hi,
I've been having those vibrations since last year that many AWD owners seem to report. I have Tanabe springs lowered hybrid, and vibrations occur while doing 70-75mph. First I thought the rim was bent, but after switching to OEMs for the winter the vibration problem was still there. I've checked balance, and alignment while on OEMs, and all seemed to be fine. However, techie at local shop told me once the car is lowered the alignment needs to be adjusted accordingly. He asked for new spring specs, but Tanabe doesn't supply any except how much the car is lowered. Do you guys know anything about this?
Also, I've realized inner side of left rear tire on my custom set was completely worn out (after 2 summer seasons). It was so bad, and uneven, that the tire was loosing air. Perhaps that wheel was not mounted properly, and now bearing is shot causing vibrations... I don't recall any problems at the beginning...
I'm really concern about vibrations, because those lead to more repairs like bearings, and in long term possibly axles. I took the car to local dealer, but those aholes said they drove it to 65mph, and couldn't feel the thing. They were told before it happens at 70-75, but they said they're not allowed to go that fast (speed limit in NJ is 65), and started *****ing about car being lowered. They also refused to apply the dashboard rattle fix. I will never give those guys my business for sure...
Can you guys tell me vibration issues is normal on lowered non-awd cars, or is it just me?
THanks
Old 07-07-10, 06:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds to me that you never got an alignment after you lowered your car correct? if so that explains your tire wear on the inside. as far as vibrations, i doubt you have the awd vibration if you only feel it at say 70-75mph. at first i was going to say you need hub rings but since you said it still happens with oem wheels then its not hub rings. its more than likely that the car is way out of alignment and at those speeds, your getting a wobble.
Old 07-07-10, 06:49 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't know you need to realign everything after 2 weeks of lowering the car?

How about tell them to ride with U and you drive? All the judges I've seen will let you pass if you speed 10mph above the posted speed limit.

I think vibration is an issue on all lowering vehicles if it's not done correctly, and one of the step for lowering is to realign all the wheels after 2 weeks of lowering. (that's what I remember reading about lowering cars)

I never think of lowering my rides cause the cost and more troublesome than it's worth.
Old 07-07-10, 07:03 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

I did have alignment checked after 2 weeks, and they said there is nothing to be corrected, meaning all numbers were within limits. I had the alignment checked again about 4 weeks ago at the shop I know for years, and they also agreed numbers were within their books. They asked me for spring specs, but I have none. DO you know where I can get those???? Tanabe's website is useless...
THanks
Old 07-07-10, 07:32 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe this OP can help you https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...omparison.html
Old 07-07-10, 07:35 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

THANK YOU!!! I wonder why Tanabe doesn't include that info within the box????? They just cost me $1200 for new tires...
Old 07-07-10, 07:36 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chopperpl
I did have alignment checked after 2 weeks, and they said there is nothing to be corrected, meaning all numbers were within limits. I had the alignment checked again about 4 weeks ago at the shop I know for years, and they also agreed numbers were within their books. They asked me for spring specs, but I have none. DO you know where I can get those???? Tanabe's website is useless...
THanks
spring specs for what? whatever the specs are for the springs (spring rates) has nothing to do with an alignment. whatever suspension you put on a car, you should align the car to the stock specs.
Old 07-07-10, 07:51 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
spring specs for what? whatever the specs are for the springs (spring rates) has nothing to do with an alignment. whatever suspension you put on a car, you should align the car to the stock specs.
I'm not an auto technician, but obviously the tire wear shows it has something to do with it. The alignment was checked by two different shops, and came out correct. Is it possible they were both wrong?
Thx
Old 07-07-10, 07:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

trust me, spring rates have nothing to do with alignment. spring rates deal with how stiff the springs are. your tire wear is from the alignment. did they give you a print out of the reading?
Old 07-07-10, 08:12 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
trust me, spring rates have nothing to do with alignment. spring rates deal with how stiff the springs are. your tire wear is from the alignment. did they give you a print out of the reading?
Yes they did. I'm in the office now, so don't have it handy to post it, but the only number that was "red" was not adjustable. All others were "green"...
Thx
Old 07-07-10, 08:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

hmm... could the toe be off?
Old 07-07-10, 08:25 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

I actually had it in the car:

They said camber is not adjustable...
Thx
Old 07-07-10, 08:38 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

I also suspect the technician forgot to use the hub centric causing wheel to wobble. I don't remember extra wear after first year, and the very same shop put those wheels back on in spring... This would eliminate the alignment issue... and probably be the answer to vibrations.
My new 20" shoes will be here any day, and I don't want to kill new tires the same way. I really need to eliminate all possibilities, and fix whatever has to be fixed.
Thanks
Old 07-07-10, 08:44 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

thats true but the fact you said you had the vibrations even when you put the oem wheels on, makes me believe it does not have anything to do with hub rings. hub rings would certainly give you that vibration when around 60-80mph but oem wheels are hub centric so that would eliminate that.
Old 07-07-10, 09:08 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

But if the hub ring was missing for so long those vibrations could damage the bearing, or perhaps bend the axle. I don't hear any noise in the back yet that could indicate shot bearing, but I don't want to wait for it to show up, and later find out it was the axle, and now rear end is all !@#$$ed up.
WHat do you think about alignment print out?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Vibrations on hybrid?