Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Jump Another?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 09:14 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Jump Another?

Would you or have you used your 450h to jump start another car?

If you did, where did you hook up on your h?

Thanks,
Old 05-20-10, 11:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

should be no problem. the RXh has a dedicated 12V just like any other vehicle.

The battery is hidden but this diagram shows you where it is

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 16546
Size:  39.3 KB

Last edited by RXSF; 05-20-10 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 04:57 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Would you or have you used your 450h to jump start another car?

If you did, where did you hook up on your h?

Thanks,
Technically it's possible, but....

Most of the Lexus technicians will suggest you don't do it. Even the manual suggests that if YOU need a jump start, call your Lexus dealer. Too many expensive electronics to harm if you screw up. If you fried a board somewhere jump starting a friend, it's not likely your warranty will leave you feeling like a good Boy Scout for your good deed.
Old 05-21-10, 06:00 AM
DunWkg
Racer

It was late, it was dark, it was raining, my wife called with a dead battery. I wasn't sure where to hook up, I thought you had to hook up in the rear of the car. if it was in the front, I didn't wanna take off those covers that I've read folks don't like the clips...I was thinking call Triple A....she was in a hurry...so I ran jumper cables over to her and she found a friend in the parking lot and we used her friend's car. I was a dutiful husband...but not overly dutiful! Beside my manual was placed neatly in the glove box. I wasn't gonna take it out and have to re-pack the glove box, it wasn't that big of an emergency!!

Previous cars I had a breaker I could flip off to prevent damage to the audio system. A 450 with computers was a bit more of a worry for me. Be my luck to toast the system and the SOS button wouldn't work!!

Thanks for the insight and information.
Old 05-22-10, 04:50 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Talk about paybacks being a b****.

Cleaned and waxed the 450 today. Listened to the radio most of the day. Went to put it in the garage to finish up tomorrow and the battery was dead.

I guess those plastic covers are coming off whether I like it or not and probably by some AAA guy who's never done it before either. Or thinking positive, he has.

I can hear my wife's laughter now....
Old 05-22-10, 04:58 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bummer. I was tempted to do the same thing while I was washing and waxing mine today. Glad I didn't. Look at the bright side, the battery is under warranty
Old 05-22-10, 05:57 PM
RXSF

the battery probably doesnt need to be changed. just jump it and let it run for at least 15 minutes, best on a highway.

also, there is no plastic covers. Just one for the positive side and its an easy job. the negative is left exposed next to the engine.

the irony is perfect
Old 05-23-10, 01:11 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Since yes the battery was dead, the SOS button does not work, I called roadside assistance. I did program number into cell phone for future use.

Lexus did send AAA, we did need to remove those plastic engine compartment covers. Clips seemed to work just fine.

Lexus roadside said drive the car for 20-30 minutes after jump start.

I don't believe I lost any personal programming. Must be stored in non-volatile ram or the battery dies down to a level where stuff is not lost, but car won't start.

I do find it odd, there is no low battery indicators or level of charge indicators for the 12volt battery. The only light was the word "Check" and the engine icon.
Old 05-23-10, 04:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Since yes the battery was dead, the SOS button does not work, I called roadside assistance. I did program number into cell phone for future use.

Lexus did send AAA, we did need to remove those plastic engine compartment covers. Clips seemed to work just fine.

Lexus roadside said drive the car for 20-30 minutes after jump start.

I don't believe I lost any personal programming. Must be stored in non-volatile ram or the battery dies down to a level where stuff is not lost, but car won't start.

I do find it odd, there is no low battery indicators or level of charge indicators for the 12volt battery. The only light was the word "Check" and the engine icon.
This is all good info to know, sorry you're the guinea pig .
Question: Did they 'reset' anything? Someone else may remember better but it seems there was a post string some months back about bad mileage after a battery went dead and it turned out something needed to be reset after a battery change or jump/charge from dead. And it's just a vauge memory, I could be all wet on this.
Old 05-23-10, 08:38 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Phone contacts were okay, destinations were okay, gas mileage seemed okay and I'll have to check other things yet.

The back lift gate will not open when the battery is dead. Or at least I didn't see an emergency release.

When time permits I'll look through the manual or do a search on the drivers' web page. I'm thinking the car goes into self-preservation mode.
Old 05-23-10, 09:33 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

David, glad to hear everything is ok. Makes me wonder when the battery starts to die if it will do the same thing like on the 2nd gen such as auto close windows/moonroof not working. The dealer reprogrammed for me after the battery was changed but I know there's a thread in the 2nd gen forum about how to DIY. Can you let me know if the auto close function is working on your windows post-jump?
Old 05-23-10, 10:51 AM
RXSF

Regarding lost information with a dead battery:

Your battery probably wasnt completely dead. If you got lights on the intrument panel, and probably even the overhead lights from open the door, then it wasnt completely out of juice, just not enough to start the car. That way, the memory functions in the car were saved. If you were to remove the battery for more than a few minutes, then you will lose everything (though probably not nav as those are saved to the hard drive, or even radio presets maybe?)

for the rear trunk, just manually open and close it one time and that should be the reset.
Old 05-23-10, 09:29 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
David, glad to hear everything is ok. Makes me wonder when the battery starts to die if it will do the same thing like on the 2nd gen such as auto close windows/moonroof not working. The dealer reprogrammed for me after the battery was changed but I know there's a thread in the 2nd gen forum about how to DIY. Can you let me know if the auto close function is working on your windows post-jump?
Please explain auto close function. Not familiar. Thanks,
Old 05-23-10, 10:24 PM
RXSF

auto close as in pushing or pulling the window switch all the way past the indent so that it will close or open automatically without you having to hold down the switch
Old 05-24-10, 04:26 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Yes they still do that, I would think that would be the default operation.

I was thinking auto meant pushing and holding the unlock button on the fob and having the windows open.

Quick Reply: Jump Another?