Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Need help choosing a car.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 09:21 AM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help choosing a car.......

So I recently sold my 99 GS400. Quite sad to see it go, but I was able to help a friend out, and I'm ready for something new. I ended up with 234K on the odometer, and it still drove like it was brand new . So here is my dilema, I really want to get into something a little more exhilirating to drive. Yet I'm finding it increasingly difficult to steer away from Lexus due to the reliability and great luck I've had. (We've had 3.) I've had my heart set on an E55 AMG, I feel that it would be an all around great car for me. I also had a chance to take a Porshce 911 C4 out, which was really fun to drive, but probably not the best choice for a daily driver. Out of loyalty I went to Lexus and drove the GS350, and felt that it was a very nice car, but it didn't have the edge that I was looking for. Now, I'll get to the point. The more that I read on the GS450h, I feel that I should take it into consideration, against the E55. I know that it is not going to be anywhere near the perfomance level as the E55, but it does sound from what I've read here that it does have a strong advantage over the 350. And it is impossible to for the E55 to match the reliabilty of Lexus. So what are your thoughts? Here are a few questions I have as well.

1. I assume the modding potential of the GS450h is limited? (from a performance standpoint)

2. Do we expect that the Hybrid Technology will hold up to the same reliability standards as we have come to expect from Lexus?

3. What are the costs of the battery replacement for these vehicles and how long should we expect them to last?

4. Is having a car with 469hp / 517lb/tq really necessary to make me happy ? (LOL, just kidding?)

Btw, this will be a daily driver, and I will most likely put between 15-20K per year on it.
Old 05-23-10, 09:49 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thoughts as you. I wanted something fun to drive, something with a bit of an edge. I drove the 350 and was like, OK, nice but not exhilarating.

Then my buddy, who is GM at Lexus here in Jax, kept pushing and prodding me to drive the 450h. When I finally did, within 30 seconds I looked at him (he was in the passenger seat) and told him I wanted it. It really is sooooooooooo different from a regular 350. Hell, just read some of the threads here.

I have no problems so far. No rattles, no reliability issues, nothing. Now, I will say this - I drove a Mercedes and a BMW but ultimately decided on the Lexus bc of reliability and luxury. The other two definitely had a tighter feel and much less body roll but the 450h was just too nice to pass up. And it is a definite kick to drive.

Hope that helps. I am very very happy with my decision.
Old 05-23-10, 06:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GREED777
1. I assume the modding potential of the GS450h is limited? (from a performance standpoint)
correct, there really isn't anything available for the GS450h besides suspension mods. IF you plan on perfomance mods, then i would recommend the GS460 as your platform. custom turbo/SC/NOS should be doable. note that no one as of yet has done this (i think passnu2 is starting to do the turbo mod, but not completed)

2. Do we expect that the Hybrid Technology will hold up to the same reliability standards as we have come to expect from Lexus?
toyota prius hybrids have been running for over 10 years. i have not heard of any problems that would be of a major concern. you could always check the prius forums for more info.

3. What are the costs of the battery replacement for these vehicles and how long should we expect them to last?
not sure how much for a replacement traction battery, but the hybrid components (including battery) is warrantied for 8 years (at least it is in canada). should be similar for US GS450h i would think?

4. Is having a car with 469hp / 517lb/tq really necessary to make me happy ? (LOL, just kidding?)
nope, of course not! =) but if you really want to mod for more performance, the GS460 would be your best bet (but you would have to throw $$$ into this and you will be going into uncharted territory, re: turbo/SC/NOS)

on the other hand, if you don't care about factory warranty, you could try to modify the hybrid electric motors and/or battery for faster performance. you'd hire an electrical engineer (i would think) to make improvements over the lexus hybrid components. if your pockets are deep enough, you can make this happen.
Old 05-23-10, 06:31 PM
LexFather

So I recently sold my 99 GS400. Quite sad to see it go, but I was able to help a friend out, and I'm ready for something new. I ended up with 234K on the odometer, and it still drove like it was brand new . So here is my dilema, I really want to get into something a little more exhilirating to drive. Yet I'm finding it increasingly difficult to steer away from Lexus due to the reliability and great luck I've had. (We've had 3.) I've had my heart set on an E55 AMG, I feel that it would be an all around great car for me. I also had a chance to take a Porshce 911 C4 out, which was really fun to drive, but probably not the best choice for a daily driver. Out of loyalty I went to Lexus and drove the GS350, and felt that it was a very nice car, but it didn't have the edge that I was looking for. Now, I'll get to the point. The more that I read on the GS450h, I feel that I should take it into consideration, against the E55. I know that it is not going to be anywhere near the perfomance level as the E55, but it does sound from what I've read here that it does have a strong advantage over the 350. And it is impossible to for the E55 to match the reliabilty of Lexus. So what are your thoughts? Here are a few questions I have as well.

Btw, this will be a daily driver, and I will most likely put between 15-20K per year on it.
Hey, thanks for asking these good questions. The previous posters have made great points. I have a really good bud with an E55 and it is a completely different animal to the GS. To me they both have 4 doors and thats about it. The E55s power is quite immense. The E55 won't be as reliable and will be costly to keep up but you get that AMG experience.

The GS450h is a great medium and jump from the 2GS 400 and between the E55. I had a GS 400 and still a GS 430 and the 450h is clearly faster (I have even raced both cars together) while getting 30-40% better MPG. Handling is better stock for stock. It also is clearly slower than the E55.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-10, 08:12 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate all of the above input. One of the problems that I am facing as that none of the Lexus dealers in the Western Pennsylvania region have a GS450h for me to drive. So I'm kind of flying blind, and basing it on the GS350 that I drove and imagining the extra power, lol. I've had a few benz's in the past, including a C43 AMG, and they have all had there share of issues. I told myself that the next car that I buy would have to be something that could remain stock (ok maybe change the wheels) If I go with the 450h, I will definetly be modding it. If I were to buy the AMG, basically everything is done, it's just a matter of switching out the wheels. Lexus has just been so good to me, it's become a difficult decision. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-10, 10:02 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

I appreciate all of the above input. One of the problems that I am facing as that none of the Lexus dealers in the Western Pennsylvania region have a GS450h for me to drive. So I'm kind of flying blind, and basing it on the GS350 that I drove and imagining the extra power, lol. I've had a few benz's in the past, including a C43 AMG, and they have all had there share of issues. I told myself that the next car that I buy would have to be something that could remain stock (ok maybe change the wheels) If I go with the 450h, I will definetly be modding it. If I were to buy the AMG, basically everything is done, it's just a matter of switching out the wheels. Lexus has just been so good to me, it's become a difficult decision. Thanks again.
when i test drove the GS350, i was like meh. power was bland (imho). then i test drove the GS450h, and it was like woah! night and day difference in the torque and power. so yeah, just imagine GS350 with extra power. IF you can be happy with the GS350 (style, luxury, existing power, etc), you will definitely love the GS450h.

as for mods, the major things available are bodykit, suspension, wheels. if you are OK with that, you'll love modding the GS.
Old 06-17-10, 06:17 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update......still on the hunt for a car. I have decided against the E55 for now. I did a little checking into the hybrid system for the GS450. As I'm sure most of you know, it does have a warranty for 8yrs/100K. I did ask about battery replacement cost, and was told it would be $4500. Lexus mentioned that they have not had to replace any as of yet, and have people with over 180K on the GS. This guy must be doing some crazy driving to be able to put that many miles on in such a short period of time ??? Just thought I would throw that info out there for you. I did find a real nice one that I am doing some checking on. I'll keep you up to date. BTW, due to the winters here I went out and drove the GS350 AWD, and although it drove nicely, and would be much more suitable, I just can't get over the ride height. It seems that most suspension modifications result in cabin vibrations and I'm not real sure that I want to deal with that either. Guess I'll just keep on hunting.
Old 06-17-10, 07:05 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Just an update......still on the hunt for a car. I have decided against the E55 for now. I did a little checking into the hybrid system for the GS450. As I'm sure most of you know, it does have a warranty for 8yrs/100K. I did ask about battery replacement cost, and was told it would be $4500. Lexus mentioned that they have not had to replace any as of yet, and have people with over 180K on the GS. This guy must be doing some crazy driving to be able to put that many miles on in such a short period of time ??? Just thought I would throw that info out there for you. I did find a real nice one that I am doing some checking on. I'll keep you up to date. BTW, due to the winters here I went out and drove the GS350 AWD, and although it drove nicely, and would be much more suitable, I just can't get over the ride height. It seems that most suspension modifications result in cabin vibrations and I'm not real sure that I want to deal with that either. Guess I'll just keep on hunting.
thx for the update. if memory serves me right, i believe there are coilovers available for the awd. so that's an option if awd is important to you. however if you plan on modding, rwd is the platform for you (especially if you want to go with staggered wheel setup).
Old 06-24-10, 07:37 PM
GREED777
Lexus Test Driver

Well my black on black GS450h is on it's way. LOL, this is the first car I've ever purchased without ever even driving one. Still a bit uneasy about that. One quick question I have is in regards to the adaptive suspension. I would assume that you loose this feature with the addition of coilovers, but how does switching out the springs affect the system. Is the dampening still effective or is it lost?
Old 06-24-10, 10:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Well my black on black GS450h is on it's way. LOL, this is the first car I've ever purchased without ever even driving one. Still a bit uneasy about that. One quick question I have is in regards to the adaptive suspension. I would assume that you loose this feature with the addition of coilovers, but how does switching out the springs affect the system. Is the dampening still effective or is it lost?
congrats on the purchase of your new GS450h!

correct, you lose avs if you install coilovers. you don't lose avs if you just install springs, which is one of the reasons (although a minor one) i went with springs.
Old 06-25-10, 06:11 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

The first time my wife I drove our 450 was after we had already purchased it. Up until then we had only driven a 350. I don't think you will be disappointed with the car or the power.

As for modes, check out post by Mike450h, he has F-Sport Springs, TopSpeed Exhaust and an F-Sport intake I believe on his 450.