Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

RX450h NAV XM Traffic Question

Old 05-18-10, 11:36 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX450h NAV XM Traffic Question

Hi. We have a 2010 RX450h. For the first 3 months, we had the trial XM which included all the audio plus traffic and weather. One of the features was a button, somewhere on the display, that read off the freeway traffic advisories. This is different than the occasional automatic traffic notifications that are read while driving along a route on the freeway.

This was a specific button that brought us to a menu with the local freeway names. We would then click on the freeway and the NAV would read off the entire list, sometimes a long list, of traffic incidents on that freeway. The voice on this is the same automated computer voice that reads the occasional traffic info.

After the trial 3 months, our XM of course went down. We subscribed with XM for the audio and traffic packages. Now we have all the audio and only the occasional automatic traffic alerts along the route. We can no longer find the button that would read the list of traffic incidents. XM tells us that we have the full traffic package.

I though the button was on the Info screen, next to the XM Weather button, but not sure. Does anyone know how to access this traffic list?

Thanks.

Last edited by lexuschar; 05-19-10 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-18-10, 02:23 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuschar
Hi. We have a 2010 RX450h. For the first 3 months, we had the trial XM which included all the audio plus traffic and weather. One of the features was a button, somewhere on the display, that read off the freeway traffic advisories. This is different than the occasional automatic traffic notifications that are read while driving along a route on the freeway.

This was a specific button that brought us to a menu with the local freeway names. We would then click on the freeway and the NAV would read off the entire list, sometimes a long list, of traffic incidents on that freeway.

After the trial 3 months, our XM of course went down. We subscribed with XM for the audio and traffic packages. Now we have all the audio and only the occasional automatic traffic alerts along the route. We can no longer find the button that would read the list of traffic incidents. XM tells us that we have the full traffic package.

I though the button was on the Info screen, next to the XM Weather button, but not sure. Does anyone know how to access this traffic list?

Thanks.
I don't use it because I use the XM green/orange/red indicators on the US and State highways. But I saw what your talking about yesterday on the 'FM' screen. I think it scans to pick up an audio signal (if offered in a specific area) for local traffic info. If you have XM traffic, then you have more and better info.
Old 05-19-10, 03:38 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have XM Traffic and the icon is on the Info screen along with XM Weather and XM Stocks. I am not familiar with the traffic that you describe. It sounds a lot like the traffic that is broadcast over local FM stations and available on portable GPS units like Garmin and Tom Tom. If you find it, please post back.
Old 05-19-10, 10:26 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

I had to take a trip to Harrisburg and had an opportunity to "play" with the radio. Since I always listen to XM I did not realize that there was a Traffic button at the bottom of the FM screnes. Selecting that button causes the radio to scan for a station that sends traffic reports on a commercial FM station subcarrier. Apparently there are none in the Harrisburg, PA area since my radio found none. What it does, or presents, if it finds one is unknown to me but maybe that is what you saw on your system.
Old 05-19-10, 01:04 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This was a specific button that brought us to a menu with the local freeway names. We would then click on the freeway and the NAV would read off the entire list, sometimes a long list, of traffic incidents on that freeway. The voice on this is the same automated computer voice that reads the occasional traffic info.

Thanks.
I reread your message again. I'm not sure what you're talking about. I have XM and traffic, there is only 'one' traffic package according to their web site. Could you have been in another car with a different feature ???
Old 05-19-10, 02:19 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Could you have been in another car with a different feature ???
It was in this car, but during the 90 trial period. It was over two months later that I tried to find the feature again. By that time, I forgot where it was located or how I found it. I thought is was a button on the Info screen, next to the XM Weather button. I thought is was labeled something like XM Traffic.

To be a bit clearer, this was a menu that came up listing the local freeways that were in the area. I would then click on a specific freeway and the computer voice would read out all the traffic alerts for that freeway, one after another. This usually was a long list, but when driving on the road, stuck in traffic with nothing else to do, it came in handy on a few occasions.
Old 05-19-10, 02:29 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

lexushcar, tell me when you find it. I don't recall seeing anything like that in my RX. I just rely on the guidance map to show me what's going on around me by clicking on the icons in the display. And I'm sad to report I do not have a traffic button on my ML Not fair!
Old 05-19-10, 05:01 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kitlz
lexushcar, tell me when you find it. I don't recall seeing anything like that in my RX. I just rely on the guidance map to show me what's going on around me by clicking on the icons in the display. And I'm sad to report I do not have a traffic button on my ML Not fair!
If you select the Traffic icon at the bottom of the FM screen on your Nav, what do you get? I am sure there has to be som activity in your neck of the woods.
Old 05-19-10, 05:17 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

The Traffic button on the bottom of the FM screen basically searches for a traffic radio station. I have not actually ever found a traffic station using that button. It seems to pick several FM radio stations that are regular radio programming and have nothing to do with traffic.
Old 05-20-10, 03:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3cuj
If you select the Traffic icon at the bottom of the FM screen on your Nav, what do you get? I am sure there has to be som activity in your neck of the woods.
The Traffic button on the bottom of the FM screen basically searches for a traffic radio station. I have not actually ever found a traffic station using that button. It seems to pick several FM radio stations that are regular radio programming and have nothing to do with traffic.
When I selected traffic on the FM screen, it stopped on a station or two with talk but no traffic. On the '04 the traffic button searched AM stations. More likely to find weather and traffic there. I'll stick with the traffic info that displays on the nav screen.
Old 06-04-10, 12:49 PM
califlexus
Driver School Candidate

I think you are talking about the XM Nav Traffic that comes with Lexus Enform. I'm not sure where to find that button but I think to get to the onscreen it is in the Info section. My question (which I'll be posting as its own thread) is once you get the XM Nav Traffic voice started reading off the LONG list of traffic conditions, how do you STOP it?! I tried the usual way by choosing "Mode" to change to an FM, AM, CD or whatever station but it keeps going. I tried manually changing to another audio choice, but it keeps going. It seems to be controlled separately. My Lexus dealer has no idea! Thanks!
Old 06-04-10, 07:54 PM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by califlexus
I think you are talking about the XM Nav Traffic that comes with Lexus Enform. I'm not sure where to find that button but I think to get to the onscreen it is in the Info section. My question (which I'll be posting as its own thread) is once you get the XM Nav Traffic voice started reading off the LONG list of traffic conditions, how do you STOP it?!
Hi. This feature is what I am trying to relocate on the NAV screen. How doyou activate this? What do you click to get it reading that long list of traffic conditions? I agree that there must be a way to stop the read, but I have to get it started first before I can figure out how to stop it.

Thanks.