Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Finally installed my AVIC Z1 and more

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 10:14 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice setup guys keep up the good work!
Old 07-07-10, 12:43 AM
petterf
Rookie

How did you handle the Lexus voice command, navigation voice and hands free?
From what i know the beatsonic mva-82(r) disables the Lexus handsfree.

My plan was change the head unit for an Alpine one and add an amp for it but still keep the native amp to handle the cars voice and hands free. If that's not possible I was hoping I might be able to route the cars voice into interupt input of the alpine.

But perhaps all this is ran through avc-lan which cause some problems.
Old 07-09-10, 03:02 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The voice command for the factory nav and handfree button is disable. However both unit ( Factory Nav's and AVIC ) uses the factory amp and speakers for phone conversation
AVIC also uses the factory amp and speakers for all of the nav controls which I'm surprisingly happy about.
Old 02-04-11, 12:57 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by petterf
How did you handle the Lexus voice command, navigation voice and hands free?
From what i know the beatsonic mva-82(r) disables the Lexus handsfree.

My plan was change the head unit for an Alpine one and add an amp for it but still keep the native amp to handle the cars voice and hands free. If that's not possible I was hoping I might be able to route the cars voice into interupt input of the alpine.

But perhaps all this is ran through avc-lan which cause some problems.
Did you ever get around to implementing your plans. Looks like you and I are trying to solve the same problem. Being able to replace the head unit and add aftermarket amp while still keeping the native lexus voice command, nav voice and hands free would be the ultimate!
Old 02-04-11, 01:02 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Question

mowmow - Your setup looks really great! I recall viewing this thread several months ago which was an enormous help towards getting my own project, having similar goals, off the ground. So thanks for that.

Q: does your AVIC bluetooth solution include voice recognition for making mobile calls? I share my vehicle with my wife who cannot live without voice command/recognition for making mobile calls with bluetooth so this would be a pretty significant feature to lose for me.

Maverick16 - would be helpful to know how your solution addresses the above question as well.

Q: Did you ever get around to installing the Pioneer center channel to complete 5.1 surround sound experience? If so, I'm wondering which speaker location you used for adding this or did you so something more custom. This would be a little down the road for me, but I am looking to do something similar.

Same question on the amp.

Q: Did you ever get around to replacing the factory amp with an aftermarket one? I'm debating whether to replace the factory one with an aftermarket amp or, alternatively, daisy chain (for lack of a better word) the factory amp to an aftermarket amp using a line out converter or replace the factory one altogether. The only reason why I'm considering the latter is in order to retain factory voice capabilities (e.g. lexus voice command). From a sound perspective, I would really prefer to hook up my stereo directly to my PDX F4.

Last edited by chitownduc; 02-04-11 at 07:49 AM. Reason: added questions
Old 02-04-11, 04:17 PM
petterf
Rookie

I've still only replaced the speakers.

Have all other stuff sitting and waiting for me to get it done.
Will wait until it gets a little bit warmer so I can do it outside.

Plan is:
1. Replace HU and add Full Beatsonic MVA-82R kit.
Lost OEM features: BT handsfree, voice command, steering wheel phone and audio control.
Gained features: BT handsfree, iphone digital audio etc.

2. Find me a steering wheel control solution.
Lost OEM features: Info selection button? Can it be saved? Will have to look at the wiring diagram.
Either pac-audio or Alpines own.

3. Add Alpine Amp. Either after OEM amp or simply replace OEM amp.
Lost OEM features: None if added after OEM for what I've read. Dont think I will lose and features if Amp is replaced either but not sure yet.

4. Add Alpine DVD-changer and USB-Media player unit and connect them into the OEM ICE/RSES system and connect the RSES to the Alpine inputs as well.

Not yet decided if I should go with the MRP-F450 4ch amp and both line and speaker level inputs or the MRA-F355 5ch (+ sub line out) DTS Theater amplifier with optical and AI-net inputs. Will probably need a NVE-K200 sound interrupt box to enable OEM nav voice.
If I go with surround amp i would need to add a center channel. But where? I hate to ruin the original dashboard so either place it low or get a spare dashboard. :/

5. Have some other Alpine units on the shelf as well but dont know yet if I will use them or not.

Originally Posted by chitownduc
Did you ever get around to implementing your plans. Looks like you and I are trying to solve the same problem. Being able to replace the head unit and add aftermarket amp while still keeping the native lexus voice command, nav voice and hands free would be the ultimate!
Old 02-08-11, 11:32 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chitownduc
mowmow - Your setup looks really great! I recall viewing this thread several months ago which was an enormous help towards getting my own project, having similar goals, off the ground. So thanks for that.

Q: does your AVIC bluetooth solution include voice recognition for making mobile calls? I share my vehicle with my wife who cannot live without voice command/recognition for making mobile calls with bluetooth so this would be a pretty significant feature to lose for me.

A: AVIC aftermarket deck included full voice command for navigation and to make phone calls, the only thing I'm missing is change temperature which I could care less.

Maverick16 - would be helpful to know how your solution addresses the above question as well.

Q: Did you ever get around to installing the Pioneer center channel to complete 5.1 surround sound experience? If so, I'm wondering which speaker location you used for adding this or did you so something more custom. This would be a little down the road for me, but I am looking to do something similar.

Same question on the amp.

A: I still haven't had time to put in the 5.1 DTS decoder or amp. I'm a bit skeptical about putting so many power drawing device on a hybrid. On my old Scion tC, I had the center channel right in the middle of the dash, the sound reflects off the front windshield which made it really good. I'm waiting
to put in the quad projector hyper ballast headlights in first prior to adding anymore sound system since this is my daily driver and I have a 2 year old and my trunk is usually hauling stuff.

Q: Did you ever get around to replacing the factory amp with an aftermarket one? I'm debating whether to replace the factory one with an aftermarket amp or, alternatively, daisy chain (for lack of a better word) the factory amp to an aftermarket amp using a line out converter or replace the factory one altogether. The only reason why I'm considering the latter is in order to retain factory voice capabilities (e.g. lexus voice command). From a sound perspective, I would really prefer to hook up my stereo directly to my PDX F4.
A: I still want to replace factory amp eventually cos the Beatsonic kit output is only 2 channel vs 4 channel. The minute you put in an aftermarket deck, you loose the pickup and hangup phone button and voice command. However Pioneer deck's own mic( comes with your deck ) you gain all the navi voice control back, when there is a phone call, you'll see a button on screen to pick up call. The only voice command missing is temperature control which I don't really use in the first place. Bluetooth on the factory deck was retain
so as I mention before I have both my work and personal phone bluetooth connected to both factory navi and Pioneer deck and sound are all routed to the factory speaker and mic.
Old 09-07-11, 02:00 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wondering if some of the newer DD systems like the Kenwood DNX9980HD eXcelon Link would be easier to help with these issues. I cannot live without BThandsfree and a seamless Navi experience or my Rear camera.

PS: I am not driving the hybrid RX though so I dunno if that makes a difference at all.
Old 05-08-12, 10:27 AM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey mowmow I hope you still check this thread cause I have a couple questions. I have the exact Pioneer setup that you have. Does your factory rearview camera still work? Tell me about the "2 wire ground". Did you ever get the voice recognition working? Do the steering wheel controls work?
Old 05-09-12, 11:34 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Steveies30,

To answer your questions

-factory rearview camera works perfect on the factory nav screen, no issue whatsoever

- 2 wire ground, check out AVIC411.com they have details on how to over ride the system so you have full control to the Nav while car is in motion, also did you upgrade your hard drive from the factory 30GB to 60GB with latest 2010 maps ?

-No I never had enough time to play around with the factory voice recognition since my wife and I had another baby last year.

- As far as Steering wheel control goes, volume, mode, next/previous track all works ( all controls on the left side ) which is what I use most of the time. With the 2 beatsonic module, the Pioneer nav shared the nav voice/mic and phone audio to the factory nav., much clearer sound.

I hope I've answer your questions, I do plan on either end of year or next year upgrade to the newer pioneer nav system
Old 05-25-12, 04:54 PM
JForce
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LuxuryMods
Very nice setup you have there. Sounds like a nice sounding system. I'm planning on adding a Carputer setup to my 400h. Did you use the Beatsonic double din or OEM kit?
Can someone explain the beatsonic double din or oem kit? I am planning to buy a beatsonic kit that cost $400 and putting in a pioneer unit. I'd just like to know if theres anything to watch out for...

There are two kits im not sure works from beatsonic... one is RX-82 and another is MVA-82R. Anyone know the difference? Upon reading they seem to be the same thing. Keeping in mind I have a 2004 RX 330 with navigation and premium sound system (non-ML)

Last edited by JForce; 05-25-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 04:24 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JForce
Can someone explain the beatsonic double din or oem kit? I am planning to buy a beatsonic kit that cost $400 and putting in a pioneer unit. I'd just like to know if theres anything to watch out for...

There are two kits im not sure works from beatsonic... one is RX-82 and another is MVA-82R. Anyone know the difference? Upon reading they seem to be the same thing. Keeping in mind I have a 2004 RX 330 with navigation and premium sound system (non-ML)
Beatsonic makes a replica of the Lexus/Toyta double din kit. Beatsonic kit is cheaper but have heard there maybe fitment issue, OEM is harder to fine and a bit more expensive but it fits for sure.

Since you only have a RX330 and not a RX400h so you don't need the MVA-82R, all you need is the SLA-82R which utilitze the factory amp onto your Pioneer unit.
Old 02-07-13, 01:42 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Minor update !!

I recently found out that Pac-aduio has newer version of the steering wheel control adapter that supports
answer and end call buttons as well as voice recognition so full control on steering wheel for anyone who is interested in this
Old 05-26-13, 05:20 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mowmow
Minor update !!

I recently found out that Pac-aduio has newer version of the steering wheel control adapter that supports
answer and end call buttons as well as voice recognition so full control on steering wheel for anyone who is interested in this
Hey Mowmow,

I do remember this from the last time I installed my PAC. I just can't remember if I got mine after they changed it or before. I guess I'll find out next Saturday when I get my Z110BT (upgraded to 120 software) installed. I am planning to put all of my setup back in. It will take a while to get it all done as it is alot of work and I am really going to take my time with this install. For the record, this will involve a 3 way active front set (Morel/Scanspeak) and a sub in the back somewhere. I would love to bounce some questions off of you if you are up for it. First, did you find adding the Pioneer deck improved the sound at all or just add features. I am doing this mainly to get my ipod back in there. I am already sick of the radio yap in the morning to work and it has not even been a month yet! I have the Mark Levinson package in mine which actually sounds pretty good for factory. I emphasize that last part.

I think your Rx is a hybrid too (forgot to check before writing this) and if so I have a few more questions I would like answered. Mine is a 2007 rx400h. I am looking to put a 0/1 ga power wire into this for my 2 amps which will pull potentially over 200 amps of juice. Is this going to be an issue with the Hybrid system at all? Any precautions I should be looking into? I do have a cap as well this time but that is more a band aid fix I have been told too. I am hoping to get through the firewall on the passenger side. Any ideas as to where to look for an access point? I might just foot the bill to have my installer do that part as it looks really tight in the engine bay for one.

Last question for now, I promise Anyone have any idea of how to get the damned apillar panels off? This is the panel that runs between the windshield and front doors and houses a tweeter on each side. I have gotten the panel to pop loose but can't figure out how to get the damned plastic clips to let loose. My previous Rav4 had what I thought was the same setup and those clips just turned 90 degrees and let go. These Lexus clips do not appear to rotate at all. Any and all help greatly appreciated. So far, absolutely loving the new ride. Just put on a brand new set of tires yesterday - Bridgestone Dueller Ecopias all around. Now I am set there, as it came with Bridgestone Blizzacks with 9/32nds still left on them.
Old 05-30-13, 04:43 PM
james2266
Driver School Candidate

mowmow no longer around? Anybody else have answers?

Also, I had to unhook the battery to install a sound processor last weekend and have noticed the Hybrid system is now acting very different. I have now tried the non-tech isc reset listed on this site/LexusOwners site twice now but have noticed little difference. Is there calibration done by Lexus when installing a battery as well? My mileage has most defintiely taken a hit as the vehicle has stopped running on only electric unless my foot is off the gas completely or stopped. I have noticed that the engine even stays on occasionally in these instances as well and the battery has alot of charge and the engine/cabin is warm. Any suggestions as to how to get things running better once again other than taking it to Lexus?

Quick Reply: Finally installed my AVIC Z1 and more