Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 05:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

dragon6473, you have to stretch the 450h's legs some more. Short trips aren't the best especially when it's cooler out. I have a short commute with hills and get much better mileage when I go further distances. Also lower the tire pressure. It's too high and may cause abnormal wear.
Old 09-05-15, 11:43 AM
dragon6473
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
dragon6473, you have to stretch the 450h's legs some more. Short trips aren't the best especially when it's cooler out. I have a short commute with hills and get much better mileage when I go further distances. Also lower the tire pressure. It's too high and may cause abnormal wear.
Thanks Anita. Got this car 3 months ago, took 3 long trips on it and still states that kind of mileage. I thought short trips were better mileage with the 450h. Dealer was the one set the tire PSI!
Old 09-05-15, 08:23 PM
svidas
Rookie

Default Mileage on 2010 RX450h

My best for a tank is 31 but 29 is much more common. Winter in Minnesota really takes a toll and I am lucky to see 26 and sometimes as low as 24. Very cold weather means the gas engine is on all the time and no electric.
Old 09-07-15, 08:03 AM
rc2010
Driver School Candidate

Default Average 22.1 MPG on my 2010 RX450H

After 5 years, 35k miles, my car is is still at 22.1 MPG. The dealer said it may be due to driving style. I do not agree that is true, as I deliberately use pulse and glide technique to achieve better fuel efficiency. The only possible reason I want to believe is that I drive 8 miles from home to work, not in the hilly area. I am just curious if anyone living in San Francisco can achieve 26 MPG average from short distance commute to work? I am hesitate to buy another hybrid, giving the poor MPG I got. I used to achieve 28-32 MPG easily with my Corolla. Perhaps I just have bad luck on the new car. The 2001 BMW 330ci I owned before can only achieve 14.5 MPG, and that was even more pathetic. Switching to Lexus RX450H helped a little bit, but not much.

Old 09-07-15, 08:59 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rc2010
After 5 years, 35k miles, my car is is still at 22.1 MPG. The dealer said it may be due to driving style. I do not agree that is true, as I deliberately use pulse and glide technique to achieve better fuel efficiency. The only possible reason I want to believe is that I drive 8 miles from home to work, not in the hilly area. I am just curious if anyone living in San Francisco can achieve 26 MPG average from short distance commute to work? I am hesitate to buy another hybrid, giving the poor MPG I got. I used to achieve 28-32 MPG easily with my Corolla. Perhaps I just have bad luck on the new car. The 2001 BMW 330ci I owned before can only achieve 14.5 MPG, and that was even more pathetic. Switching to Lexus RX450H helped a little bit, but not much.

I don't live in San Fran, but have driven RXh for about 10 years now in all sort of terrain and situations. Where I live in SoCal, there are plenty of hill climbs and mix of traffic If I elect to get into it (I try not to). While people can debate the generalities I'm going to say, my belief on both my former RX400h and present RX450h (same hybrid tech) is that I also achieve only in the low 20's with short, less than 10-mile errands around town. When I do trips that are greater in distance, not even on the interstate, or mix those in with my short errands that are more frequent, I average around 24-25 most of the time -- and that I know for a fact is because I love my AWD take-offs, and using that torque clobbers MPG. When I do longer road trips, MPG goes up to 26-31 dependent if I'm overly agressive with speed and when I do a lot of hill climbing that will bring it down to the lower end.

...therefore, my belief is and always will be, that to get the best mileage out of today's RX Hybrid, you must allow the hybrid to fully warm up -- only short trips will not allow it to achieve what's possible. Speed over 55-60, pressing the accerator too hard at take-off, and climbing hills also puts a damper on achieving the best mileage. As much as I love RX and the concept of hybrids which I've recommended to many over the years, my suggestion is when you start looking for your next ride, if you are going to always do short trips, a hybrid with today's technology may not be the optimum solution if MPG is your primary objective.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-15, 08:12 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RX450lh

2015 RX450h

30.1 MPG calculated.

2nd tank of gas
70% city driving
275 miles / 9.134 gallons

1st fillup calculated 26.5 MPG but not sure tank started completely full by dealer. Also had 1 hour idling while dealer was demonstrating car features.

Click on my Fuelly tags in my signature for current MPGs.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-07-15 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-08-15, 02:02 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just back from a 4000 miles vacation trip. 2010 RX450h, 4 people aboard, luggage box on the roof. 70% highway at 80 mph, steep climbs (till 6500 ft altitude on the Alps). Ended up with an average of 10,5 km/l, that is 23.5 mpg. Looks like the RX gives its best when pushed to the limits...
Old 09-09-15, 10:39 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
I don't live in San Fran, but have driven RXh for about 10 years now in all sort of terrain and situations. Where I live in SoCal, there are plenty of hill climbs and mix of traffic If I elect to get into it (I try not to). While people can debate the generalities I'm going to say, my belief on both my former RX400h and present RX450h (same hybrid tech) is that I also achieve only in the low 20's with short, less than 10-mile errands around town. When I do trips that are greater in distance, not even on the interstate, or mix those in with my short errands that are more frequent, I average around 24-25 most of the time -- and that I know for a fact is because I love my AWD take-offs, and using that torque clobbers MPG. When I do longer road trips, MPG goes up to 26-31 dependent if I'm overly agressive with speed and when I do a lot of hill climbing that will bring it down to the lower end.

...therefore, my belief is and always will be, that to get the best mileage out of today's RX Hybrid, you must allow the hybrid to fully warm up -- only short trips will not allow it to achieve what's possible. Speed over 55-60, pressing the accerator too hard at take-off, and climbing hills also puts a damper on achieving the best mileage. As much as I love RX and the concept of hybrids which I've recommended to many over the years, my suggestion is when you start looking for your next ride, if you are going to always do short trips, a hybrid with today's technology may not be the optimum solution if MPG is your primary objective.

Good luck.
I'm still looking to purchase the 13 450h...

after reading countless pages of mpg stats from this forum and other forums, I'm coming to a conclusion that I'll probably get OK mileage but not something like 29 or 30 (I have to drive through Wonder Woman and Spider Man along with Incredible Hulk on Hollywood Blvd every day). I say this because my local drive is followed by heavy flogging of the gas pedal on the freeways up to about 80 mph. Since I'm now down to about 17.8 mpg on my current car, I'd be happy with about 25.... that is still a huge difference.
Old 09-10-15, 08:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by iginoc
Just back from a 4000 miles vacation trip. 2010 RX450h, 4 people aboard, luggage box on the roof. 70% highway at 80 mph, steep climbs (till 6500 ft altitude on the Alps). Ended up with an average of 10,5 km/l, that is 23.5 mpg. Looks like the RX gives its best when pushed to the limits...
I'm glad the 450h didn't disappoint during your trip. And it's not so bad with all the people and luggage on board. Do you happen to have any pictures from your journey? It sounds like you had a great time.

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I'm still looking to purchase the 13 450h...

after reading countless pages of mpg stats from this forum and other forums, I'm coming to a conclusion that I'll probably get OK mileage but not something like 29 or 30 (I have to drive through Wonder Woman and Spider Man along with Incredible Hulk on Hollywood Blvd every day). I say this because my local drive is followed by heavy flogging of the gas pedal on the freeways up to about 80 mph. Since I'm now down to about 17.8 mpg on my current car, I'd be happy with about 25.... that is still a huge difference.
MellonC00, the extra mileage is truly only part of the benefit of owning the 450h. And who knows, you might be surprised every once in a while. I haven't been able to recreate my all time high of almost 36 MPG. It's fun trying though. A few of us consider it a game keeping it in the eco range as much as possible. So don't give up hope just yet. And it sounds like an interesting drive you have there (NOT!). I hope they don't harass you like some of the characters in NYC.
Old 09-11-15, 10:44 AM
Rocklin445
Driver School Candidate

Default 450h 2013 MPG Very Low

Hello Everyone (2013 RX450h) Do not get Fooled by false promise by Lexus28Hwy and 31City,I drove more than20k miles Never came even Close. Lexus is Lying about MPG Getiing only 22.6-23.9 MPG
Old 09-11-15, 11:46 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

It really depends on your driving style, but it also seems that it's difficult to get the figures...my GS350 averages 19-20mpg. German cars get closer or exceed their figures probably because they have turbocharged engines, so they can have smaller displacement more efficient engines. Lexus needs to update their engine lineup.

Last edited by dchar; 09-11-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 01:59 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I just came back from a road trip from Kalamazoo around Chicago to a wedding destination in Wisconsin this past holiday weekend. Stopped at all the toll booths. Slowed for gawkers at an accident scene - and got 30.7 MPG on the way.

The return back (I94 from Milwaukee, down 294 to I80 - agin stopping to pay tolls) plus two slow-downs for accidents on I94 in Michigan - netted 29.5 MPG. That was in holiday traffic.

The combined MPG for the 650ish mike trip was 29.7.

I drive a 2013 AWD RXh - and it has around 36,000 miles on her.

I am not usually the last away from a traffic light; and don't hold up traffic in the fast lane on the freeways.

My overall mileage is 27.4 MPG, so while I'll agree with you - to a degree - that the EPA's city/highway/combined is a bit higher than real world (for me), I think my car would likely perform the EPA's test with similar results IF, and only if, I could find the same E0 fuel that they used for the tests.
Old 09-11-15, 02:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lexus never promised anything. They give an EPA estimate based on series of test and those tests may not reflect what your commute may be like. As they say, "Your mileage may vary" especially if your commute is far from ideal. Some cars have an easier time hitting their EPA numbers, especially lighter ones.
Old 09-11-15, 03:53 PM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocklin445
Hello Everyone (2013 RX450h) Do not get Fooled by false promise by Lexus28Hwy and 31City,I drove more than20k miles Never came even Close. Lexus is Lying about MPG Getiing only 22.6-23.9 MPG
I also have a 2013. As of my last fill up:
22,744 Miles Driven
804.293 Gallons Purchased
28.28 MPG
Old 09-11-15, 11:47 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
I just came back from a road trip from Kalamazoo around Chicago to a wedding destination in Wisconsin this past holiday weekend. Stopped at all the toll booths. Slowed for gawkers at an accident scene - and got 30.7 MPG on the way.

The return back (I94 from Milwaukee, down 294 to I80 - agin stopping to pay tolls) plus two slow-downs for accidents on I94 in Michigan - netted 29.5 MPG. That was in holiday traffic.

The combined MPG for the 650ish mike trip was 29.7.

I drive a 2013 AWD RXh - and it has around 36,000 miles on her.

I am not usually the last away from a traffic light; and don't hold up traffic in the fast lane on the freeways.

My overall mileage is 27.4 MPG, so while I'll agree with you - to a degree - that the EPA's city/highway/combined is a bit higher than real world (for me), I think my car would likely perform the EPA's test with similar results IF, and only if, I could find the same E0 fuel that they used for the tests.
What's your typical cruising speed on the highway?

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?