Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 02:52 AM
Kingy68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice post BertL.

Originally Posted by BertL
The cost of premium fuel is up nearly $1.50/gallon in the last 35 days here in San Diego -- back to about $3.70 and still climbing again here in mainland paradise. I should have taken the trip a month earlier!) [/I]
In the UK the last price I paid (a week ago - that ^^ second tank I referred to) was just over £5 a UK gallon ( approx $7.67).
Old 03-09-15, 10:11 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default On the highway

I find that my RX450h actually gets better gas mileage in SPORT at higher speeds.
Old 03-10-15, 10:42 PM
yogi1068
Driver School Candidate

Default My Lexus has really gone downhill

I was really excited when I bought my brand new RX450H. When it was babied in town with the AC off, it easily got over 30 mpg. Now it’s averaging about 23-24 mpg. Then when we took it to Lexus of Orland, they caused $800 damage to the front of the car which they denied. Here are the posts I made regarding this incident:

If you're going to shop at Lexus of Orland and/or depend on their service department, please read and consider my experiences before servicing a vehicle at this dealership.

At my "complementary" 10,000 mile service appointment, the service advisor wanted to bill me stating it was done a year ago at 4,000 miles. After the service, I was in possession of the vehicle until I got home and discovered about $800 of damage to the left front fender. After contacting the service manager, he said he reviewed the video from the time my car came in and couldn't see where it was damaged at the dealership. I ask, since he reviewed the video, show me the existing damage on my car when it arrived for service? After this, he refused to return my phone calls so I escalated the complaint to the general manager. The general manager told me the reason the service manager didn't return my calls is that I used "vulgarities" which is a absolute fabrication better known as a "****-and-bull-story" that one might expect from a swindling used car manager.

Do you really want to do business with a dealer who tries such deceptions, defaming you in such a matter, then attempting to possibly conceal damage to a $60,000 vehicle? I think not. Unless you want to risk a roll of the dice at "Lexus of Orland" my advice is to save yourself any future grief and/or aggravation by purchasing and/or service your Lexus elsewhere..........

This is my last posting on this forum. Lexus of Orland has destroyed the enthusiasm of owning a Lexus.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-11-15 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-11-15, 03:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

yogi1068, if you read this thread, it's not unusual for the mileage to drop in colder weather and with the winter blend gas.

Regarding your issue with the dealer, I'm sorry to hear about the damage. I don't want to derail the purpose of the thread. What I would advise is contacting Lexus Corporate. It's something you can do through CL in the Customer Service forum. I wish you luck and hope you can find another dealer to restore your enthusiasm in owning a Lexus.
Old 03-12-15, 05:11 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Pick up our new RX450H Tuesday. Loaded Stargaze black over black. Turned in a 2013 RX. Horrid gas mileage. Only 16 mpg -- it's the reason for the hybrid. My hope would be a least 25-28 mpg with the hybrid. Have had 4 hybrids over the last several years. All had excellent mpg. Any input on the new ride would be interesting. We do love the ride and looks of the RX model. The new 2016 RX-- I have seen it--- is not to my liking. The front is one of those big front scoop deals. Looks like,Star Wars . The rear has exposed exhaust outlets now showing. The rear is way to busy for me. No 3rd row seat--- unless they make another model. If they cheapen the RX to the level of the new NX you will not like it. Buy now 2015 if you like the beautiful lines of the current RX. Can't understand why they would funk it up with to many nooks and crannies. Anyway--- any feed back on the new ride would be of interest.thanks.
Old 03-12-15, 06:02 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark, Expect the best from your new ride and congratulations. As you've had (h) models in the past you're already experienced with what to expect for your driving style. The current generation that you're getting has pretty much marked itself as bullet proof and leader of the pack in mid-size lux SUV's. Go and enjoy the miles of asphalt out there waiting for you .
Originally Posted by markneups
Pick up our new RX450H Tuesday. Loaded Stargaze black over black. Turned in a 2013 RX. Horrid gas mileage. Only 16 mpg -- it's the reason for the hybrid. My hope would be a least 25-28 mpg with the hybrid. Have had 4 hybrids over the last several years. All had excellent mpg. Any input on the new ride would be interesting. We do love the ride and looks of the RX model. The new 2016 RX-- I have seen it--- is not to my liking. The front is one of those big front scoop deals. Looks like,Star Wars . The rear has exposed exhaust outlets now showing. The rear is way to busy for me. No 3rd row seat--- unless they make another model. If they cheapen the RX to the level of the new NX you will not like it. Buy now 2015 if you like the beautiful lines of the current RX. Can't understand why they would funk it up with to many nooks and crannies. Anyway--- any feed back on the new ride would be of interest.thanks.
Old 03-15-15, 09:15 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Massive MPG info

Originally Posted by markneups
markneups, If you aren't already aware of fuelly.com, there is massive amounts of information regarding individual fuel mileage experience for many models, including the RX450h.

Here's a direct link for you to enjoy -----> Lexus RX450h Mileage

Old 03-16-15, 06:29 AM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default RX450h Quirk

I find it astounding that the driver would get 30MPG on the 2015 RX450h. My average is 20.3, though I'm hoping that it'll go up with the warmer weather coming. Any ideas why one unit should get 30 and another get 20.3, given similar driving habits?
Old 03-16-15, 06:31 AM
Craig123
Driver School Candidate

The odometer finally hit 85K on the 2010 450h. 27 plus is my long term average mpg. Did a round trip run from the bay area to Phoenix with an average speed of 80-85 mph. Milage dropped off to 24.5 Found out that better fuel economy occurs when one stays within posted speed limits. This is still almost double the milage my old burb gets. Gas prices were a dollar less in AZ compared to CA. Still not enough to consider a move.
Old 03-16-15, 07:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Gil, there's as many reasons why one driver would get 30 mpg and another doesn't as there are folk in this forum. I've had days when I got more and on the same route less on other days. It can depend on the number of stops (getting out of the car to shop or pick up laundry), red lights, traffic congestion, temps, and even tire pressures. For that matter, tire brands can even make a difference, some have higher rolling resistance than others. Than there's the driver factor, how well does he/she drive? Faster starts? Less coasting to traffic lights? It all is a factor in the mileage one gets.

No claim is made anywhere that all drivers will get the same, my own mileage varies. I hope this helps.
Originally Posted by GNGarcia
I find it astounding that the driver would get 30MPG on the 2015 RX450h. My average is 20.3, though I'm hoping that it'll go up with the warmer weather coming. Any ideas why one unit should get 30 and another get 20.3, given similar driving habits?
Old 03-16-15, 10:36 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Premium 93 Octane

We are back up to $2.55 now but going down again.
Old 03-16-15, 03:17 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I am averaging 28.3 mpg over roughly 15,000 miles since I bought our RX 450h (very slightly used) in Nov. 2013. That's in mixed surface street/freeway driving, calculated per Fuelly over the course of 47 fill-ups. For whatever it's worth, I fill up with premium gas as recommended by Lexus and drive with a very light touch on the gas pedal. I use the car's power when I need to, but I don't floor it for fun. Moreover, being retired I am in no hurry to get anywhere, so I drive a bit slower than the speed limit on local freeways, sticking to the slow lane unless I have to avoid merging traffic. I also use a couple of visual cues to monitor how efficiently I drive. I keep the instrument-panel display on "predicted mpg" at the next fill-up. Sometimes this number is accurate and sometimes it's on the high or low side, but it still gives me real-time feedback on how well I am doing. I've also found it useful to monitor the "energy screen" on the NAV display. This lets me know when the car is driving on the electric motors, the ICE or some combination of both. I find I can frequently "drop" the car into EV mode with some judicious "pulsing and gliding." I avoid jack-rabbit starts; I coast to stop lights and I keep my tires inflated to 36 psi. I hope this helps.
Old 03-16-15, 05:18 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I am averaging 28.3 mpg over roughly 15,000 miles... I hope this helps.
Great post. I have also definitely approached 29 MPG without a problem if I try to drive like a "hyper-miler", as I reverently attempt to refer to folks driving like that these days. I am also now retired, but have not (yet) elected to drive with attention to improving my MPG... I still love the take-offs, keeping up with traffic, and well -- these long on-ramps here in Southern California onto our Interstates just seem to call to me knowing the torque I have available in my AWD. I can't help but put my foot down and show the little "beer can cars" what a Lexus Hybrid can do being part of the mainstream and being part of the flow as I merge in. Once on the road, I'm fortunately well beyond my needing to be the leader-of-the-pack days, so that helps my avg MPG unless average traffic is beyond 65 as is the norm most of the time here outside of rush hours. I will admit to occasionally looking at the "energy screen" when I'm on longer trips like I was just on, to reinforce to myself what "more assertive driving" AH-HA is costing me.

I have though, one time with my previous RX400h, driven much as you describe for an entire tank with about half interstate (at or below 65mph) and half around town trying to minimize my short trips before everything could get warmed up, while staying on relatively flat highways -- and I ended-up close to, if not over 29 MPG as I seem to remember. The 2-week experiment was personally painful focusing on MPG so much, and I've not tried to re-do it since -- but it proved to me that estimated MPG was in fact possible by the avg consumer if one focused on all the levers necessary to achieve it. IMHO, there are just a lot more levers and variables to consider with a hybrid, than a traditional gas-only engine when one wants to play the maximum MPG game. :roll eyes: I elect not to play that game these days, and tend to drive my RXh like a normal vehicle, knowing I get a little better MPG than the 350's do, and while I own my RX450h, I'm saving a few drops of oil for someone else down the line.

Thx again for your post and detail. Appreciate it.

Last edited by BertL; 03-16-15 at 05:34 PM. Reason: A little better English that would make my 5th grade teacher proud
Old 03-16-15, 11:47 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure your car is in ECO mode. My RX dropped out of ECO mode and I did not realize it and saw an immediate decrease in mileage. Also remember some owners like myself have the FWD version of the 450h. It is good for and extra 2 MPG. 20.3 seems pretty low from my experience. If I drive for mileage I can hit the 30 MPG or even higher that the combined EPA references. But, when I drive normally my mileage drops into the 27.5 to 29 MPG range. I feel that the EPA mileage rating on the RX is pretty optimistic and hard to hit compared to other vehicles. For example, on my Subaru Outback it has an EPA combined rating of 24 MPG, but I have averaged about 26 MPG over the first 30k miles without really trying to do much. It has a highway rating of 29, but I can easily do in the 31 to 33 MPG range. I am very suspicious of Lexus mileage ratings. Also because of the steep premium for the RX hybrid, Lexus pretty much takes all of the upside of owning the car off the table and pockets it upfront.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-16-15 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 11:19 AM
johnjoiner
Driver School Candidate

Default Mpg

26 mpg RX450H not 32 as advertised.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?