Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Old 07-13-14, 03:26 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 8-Month fuel report - 2013 RX 450h AWD

Mea culpa. I've been a member and avid reader for nearly 8 months, have made one post, and am tired of seeing "...have made less than 30 productive posts in our discussion forums..." messages - so I'm hoping this is a "productive" second post:

Summary: After 8 months and 16,695 miles on my 2013 RX 450h, I've burned 630.3 gallons of premium in 61 fuel-ups at a cost of $2,341 for a cumulative MPG of 26.49.

Background: I live in Michigan. Took delivery of the car on 11/4/13, have made trips to AL, WS, KS, GA in the early months. "Survived" the worst winter in MI in my memory. Live in a rural setting; and while "home" don't go long at speeds of 55 or more for long.

Here are some additional summary tidbits:
The onboard MPG calculations differ from the cumulative calculation for MPG by less than 1% (0.71%).
My monthly MPG averages are:
November 2013 = 26.4 MPG
December 2013 = 25.6
January 2014 = 25.1
February 2014 = 24.8
March 2014 = 25.3
April 2014 = 29.8 (yes you read right)
May 2014 = 30.9
June 2014 = 29.2
July 2014 = 31.4 (that's just one 277 mile fill up thus far this month)

Using the EPA's 29 MPG figure (for my AWD) it means that my averages for those months are:
Nov - 91% (meaning the 26.4 is 91% of the EPA 29 MPG figure)
Dec - 88%
Jan - 86%
Feb - 86%
Mar - 87%
Apr - 103%
May - 107%
Jun - 101%
Jul - 108% (only one data point)

The jump in MPG is coincident with the switch from winter to summer blended fuels here in MI (E10) - plus the added noise of reduced highway trips, plus the added noise of warmer weather.

I don't keep track of the weather temps nor average speeds - and without those important lines of data, reading too much into the numbers is ripe for misunderstanding.

I have noticed that:
Slow speeds are my friend; and high speeds net crappy mileage.

I've gathered, from the RX Gas vehicle users on LC, that they're getting an average of 19 MPG - so I've made come calculations of my car's statistics against that figure with these hopefully interesting tidbits:

My average cost of fuel was $3.73 per gallon. Assuming that Regular costs a consistent 92% of Premium, it means $3.432 per gallon for Regular (same 16,695 miles traveled). The imaginary Regular-Fuel RX would have used 878 gallons, at a cost of $3,015, against my $2,351 - for an additional cost of $664 (for a savings to me of $664).

It means it would have cost me (had I purchased the Gasoline version of the RX) 28.26% more to run the Regular fueled RX.

My cost per mile (fuel only) has been $0.141 for my 450h; whereas my fictional 350 would have cost me $0.181 per mile -- so I've saved $0.040 per mile in fuel thus far.

I'm getting 39.4% better fuel economy vs a purely speculative 19 MPG for an RX 350.

It also means I've "saved" (not used) 248.4 gallons of gasoline by running a hybrid.

Oh, and at $6,000 upcharge for the Hybrid (is it that much???), it will take me 150,759 miles to break even (heaven help me if I need to replace a battery or an exhaust system!).

If anyone is actually still reading this, I could be talked into posting my excel spreadsheet so someone can double check my arithmetic/formulae.
Old 07-14-14, 04:05 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2013 450H recently demanded its 30K service. Just prior to it I decided to change the engine air filter to KN. I have used this brand on all my vehicles for 20 years without any problems. The results were just as I anticipated. The engine runs much smoother and there has been a 1 mpg increase overall. When I removed the OEM filter I was surprised to find that it was so restrictive. The only problem was finding the housing under all of the engine covers on the car!. I now can count on around 29 mpg in the varied driving conditions around Atlanta. I would buy this car again for the combination of comfort, performance and fuel efficiency since my wife won't drive anything but an SUV.
Old 07-14-14, 05:45 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

James, your quite a spread sheet master . Putting math to it in the pure ownership phase gives a good look for others in the ownership cost. I've got near 60K on my 2010h now and if you can factor in more equations, add maintenance cost (or lack there of) for the fun of it. My only costs so far have been oil & filter change (includes tire rotation) and a new set of tires. I switched to Toyota for the basic maintenance side as they're perfectly able to do the same thing as Lexus with the same oil for an average of less than 50% of the cost.

Hope to hear more from you, don't be a stranger here . Sending you a PM with my email, I'd love to have a working copy of your spread sheet for my own use. Since retiring back in '03 I've (sadly) forgotten more than I ever learned with XL and I used to be pretty good. Talking about the premium cost to get the (h) is more or less negated by the return in resale plus the h is consedered a model step up with more trim and features such as VDIM.

A hearty welcome to the forum. You'll be a good fit here.
Originally Posted by NateJG
Mea culpa. I've been a member and avid reader for nearly 8 months, have made one post, and am tired of seeing "...have made less than 30 productive posts in our discussion forums..." messages - so I'm hoping this is a "productive" second post:

Summary: After 8 months and 16,695 miles on my 2013 RX 450h, I've burned 630.3 gallons of premium in 61 fuel-ups at a cost of $2,341 for a cumulative MPG of 26.49.

Background: I live in Michigan. Took delivery of the car on 11/4/13, have made trips to AL, WS, KS, GA in the early months. "Survived" the worst winter in MI in my memory. Live in a rural setting; and while "home" don't go long at speeds of 55 or more for long.

Here are some additional summary tidbits:
The onboard MPG calculations differ from the cumulative calculation for MPG by less than 1% (0.71%).
My monthly MPG averages are:
November 2013 = 26.4 MPG
December 2013 = 25.6
January 2014 = 25.1
February 2014 = 24.8
March 2014 = 25.3
April 2014 = 29.8 (yes you read right)
May 2014 = 30.9
June 2014 = 29.2
July 2014 = 31.4 (that's just one 277 mile fill up thus far this month)

Using the EPA's 29 MPG figure (for my AWD) it means that my averages for those months are:
Nov - 91% (meaning the 26.4 is 91% of the EPA 29 MPG figure)
Dec - 88%
Jan - 86%
Feb - 86%
Mar - 87%
Apr - 103%
May - 107%
Jun - 101%
Jul - 108% (only one data point)

The jump in MPG is coincident with the switch from winter to summer blended fuels here in MI (E10) - plus the added noise of reduced highway trips, plus the added noise of warmer weather.

I don't keep track of the weather temps nor average speeds - and without those important lines of data, reading too much into the numbers is ripe for misunderstanding.

I have noticed that:
Slow speeds are my friend; and high speeds net crappy mileage.

I've gathered, from the RX Gas vehicle users on LC, that they're getting an average of 19 MPG - so I've made come calculations of my car's statistics against that figure with these hopefully interesting tidbits:

My average cost of fuel was $3.73 per gallon. Assuming that Regular costs a consistent 92% of Premium, it means $3.432 per gallon for Regular (same 16,695 miles traveled). The imaginary Regular-Fuel RX would have used 878 gallons, at a cost of $3,015, against my $2,351 - for an additional cost of $664 (for a savings to me of $664).

It means it would have cost me (had I purchased the Gasoline version of the RX) 28.26% more to run the Regular fueled RX.

My cost per mile (fuel only) has been $0.141 for my 450h; whereas my fictional 350 would have cost me $0.181 per mile -- so I've saved $0.040 per mile in fuel thus far.

I'm getting 39.4% better fuel economy vs a purely speculative 19 MPG for an RX 350.

It also means I've "saved" (not used) 248.4 gallons of gasoline by running a hybrid.

Oh, and at $6,000 upcharge for the Hybrid (is it that much???), it will take me 150,759 miles to break even (heaven help me if I need to replace a battery or an exhaust system!).

If anyone is actually still reading this, I could be talked into posting my excel spreadsheet so someone can double check my arithmetic/formulae.
Old 07-22-14, 10:42 AM
susanclass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a RX 450h 2010. I had a accident which damaged the front end of my RX. It needed extensive repairs, and the Lexus dealership did the repairs. After the work was completed my gas mileage went from 30-32 mpg to 26-28mpg. I complained to the dealership to no avail. They insisted their computers show nothing was amiss in the engine. I felt like saying, well, what are your mechanics for if all they do is look at computer read-outs. I think they might have replaced my hybrid battery with an old battery.

Anybody else have an experience similar to this?
Old 07-22-14, 12:53 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by susanclass
Hi, I have a RX 450h 2010. I had a accident which damaged the front end of my RX. It needed extensive repairs, and the Lexus dealership did the repairs. After the work was completed my gas mileage went from 30-32 mpg to 26-28mpg. I complained to the dealership to no avail. They insisted their computers show nothing was amiss in the engine. I felt like saying, well, what are your mechanics for if all they do is look at computer read-outs. I think they might have replaced my hybrid battery with an old battery.

Anybody else have an experience similar to this?
the hybrid batteries are in the rear of the vehicle so they wouldn't have been affected with front end repairs.

Are all other factors exactly the same pre and post accident? There are a number of reasons to cause mileage to drop. A 4 mpg is not a significant number considering all the variables.

Tire pressure, wheel alignment, tire tread, weather, speed, oil viscosity, driving habit, etc could all contribute.

How many miles on your vehicle?
Old 07-22-14, 01:29 PM
susanclass
Driver School Candidate

I had the RX for about 3 years before the accident and had consistently obtained 30-31 mpg. I have driven it for a year since, and the best mpg I have obtained since the repairs were done is 27.6. I think that is significant. Conditions are same, except for the fact that I have driven even more conservatively since the accident in order to try to get better mpg.

I'm afraid it will affect my resale on the car since obviously if someone is going to buy a hybrid mpg will factor in their decision.

I think the dealership did something wrong.
Old 07-22-14, 01:39 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by susanclass
I had the RX for about 3 years before the accident and had consistently obtained 30-31 mpg. I have driven it for a year since, and the best mpg I have obtained since the repairs were done is 27.6. I think that is significant. Conditions are same, except for the fact that I have driven even more conservatively since the accident in order to try to get better mpg.

I'm afraid it will affect my resale on the car since obviously if someone is going to buy a hybrid mpg will factor in their decision.

I think the dealership did something wrong.
Not doubting your numbers, just saying there are a lot of things to consider.

What type of damage/repair was done to the vehicle in the accident?

What's your maintenance history?

Vehicle mileage?

Brand and life of tires?

Does the vehicle drive the same as before the accident?

Just trying to pull more information out of you so that maybe someone can offer up some suggestions for you to try.
Old 07-23-14, 05:13 PM
Cruiter

Default Bragging rights

This is pretty typical of my routine trips to Milledgeville in the summer. The summer blends and warm temps for the traction battery make it about 2 to 2.5 mpg better than same driving conditions in the winter. ODO 'A' mileage is from fill up, gauge is from fill up (early in the morning).
Attached Thumbnails whats your mpg on RX450h?-1-20140723_153020.jpg  
Old 08-18-14, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Last the week I took two longer drives in the 450h without hills. The mileage jumped to 30+ MPG. That was at highway speeds. Now it makes me wonder what I'd get with my city commute minus the mountains Oh well, it still beats the 330 by more than 10 MPG.
Old 08-18-14, 10:43 AM
Art234
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings, new member here, nice to find this board.
2010 RX450h, 60k miles, average mpg in normal driving is 26.9. I have gotten as much as 34 on a trip, with stop and go traffic included.

We are just trading our 2010 RX for the exact same vehicle, but 2015. Hope to have it by week end.
This will be our third Lexus hybrid, and its even smoother on the test drive than the '10.
Old 09-27-14, 12:07 PM
frankdp
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 450 for just over a week and filled it up for the first time a day or so ago. The display said I'd averaged 29.3mpg but the calculated mileage was 30.8. I'm happy with that for now. I expect it to get better as I break it in and as I learn to drive it more efficiently.
Old 09-27-14, 12:40 PM
Cruiter

Frank, welcome to the forum. Hey, not bad start for you , kind of like I got. Everyone kept saying the car need to be broke in to get that mileage but you and I proved different. The truth is the drivers need to be broke in or acclimated to the art of (h) driving . Plus I guess have conditions good enough to be able to achieve optimum results. Obviously both of us did.

Tell us a little about your car please.
Originally Posted by frankdp
I've had my 450 for just over a week and filled it up for the first time a day or so ago. The display said I'd averaged 29.3mpg but the calculated mileage was 30.8. I'm happy with that for now. I expect it to get better as I break it in and as I learn to drive it more efficiently.
Old 10-05-14, 12:02 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frankdp
Then you did not fill it up COMPLETELY. The computer ALWAYS reads better fuel economy than actual but a LOT of people mistakenly don't fill up COMPLETELY and then "think" they are getting better economy than the really are.
Old 10-05-14, 12:08 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
James, your quite a spread sheet master . Putting math to it in the pure ownership phase gives a good look for others in the ownership cost. I've got near 60K on my 2010h now and if you can factor in more equations, add maintenance cost (or lack there of) for the fun of it. My only costs so far have been oil & filter change (includes tire rotation) and a new set of tires. I switched to Toyota for the basic maintenance side as they're perfectly able to do the same thing as Lexus with the same oil for an average of less than 50% of the cost.

Hope to hear more from you, don't be a stranger here . Sending you a PM with my email, I'd love to have a working copy of your spread sheet for my own use. Since retiring back in '03 I've (sadly) forgotten more than I ever learned with XL and I used to be pretty good. Talking about the premium cost to get the (h) is more or less negated by the return in resale plus the h is consedered a model step up with more trim and features such as VDIM.

A hearty welcome to the forum. You'll be a good fit here.
I have those details (service, maintenance, etc) on our 123K mile Toyota Highlander Hybrid equivalent to the 450h but it's not in a spreadsheet...yet. It would be interesting seeing his spreadsheet. Did you get a copy?
Old 10-05-14, 04:40 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Originally Posted by bunka
Then you did not fill it up COMPLETELY. The computer ALWAYS reads better fuel economy than actual but a LOT of people mistakenly don't fill up COMPLETELY and then "think" they are getting better economy than the really are.
I always fill up completely -- until the pump shuts off -- and the car's predicted mileage has usually been higher than my actual mileage but it's also sometimes actually been lower. And once in a blue moon it's been dead on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?