Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 12:54 PM
andye39s
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Just thought I'd post an update after almost a month with my RXh. Very pleased with the MPG. What is a bit surprising is that the trip computer is spot on, whereas our CTh is usually 1.5 to 2MPG optimistic (we're getting around 47MPG in the CTh but the computer would say 48 and change). Just filled up the tank earlier, the computer said 29.4MPG, while I got 29.7 calculated (473.4 miles, 15.94 gallons). This is excellent because I live in northern NJ with steep hills everywhere, and I know nothing brings down the average on a hybrid faster than a long steep stretch at highway speed. What was surprising to me was that it took only 12.5 miles to bring to current average back to 29MPG - from where I filled up to my house, I have to drive about 3 miles of steep incline. (Just for comparison, the 2008 MDX that I traded on, same roads same driving conditions, I'd get ~350 miles per tank and usually takes 19.5 gallons of premium to fill. Quite a difference.)

I thought someone had asked about the gas mileage of the RX450h compared to the RX400h. I had a 400h from 2006-2008. I usually get 24-26MPG on the 400h driving on the same roads that I'm driving on now in the 450h. One thing though is that the 450h requires premium gas vs regular gas in the 400h.
Attached Thumbnails whats your mpg on RX450h?-before.jpg   whats your mpg on RX450h?-after.jpg  
Old 08-27-13, 03:47 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

On a 2012 with 30,000 miles on a recent 3,200 mile trip, the multi-pupose informational display said 28 mpg at the end of the trip. Fully loaded with luggage and four adults.
Old 08-28-13, 10:28 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay so I have had my 2010 450h for just over a month. The best MPG I've gotten is 27.3. I am using 91 octane gas and have Eco mode on. I drive about 40miles each way to work via highway. I'm ave 24MGP at best. I am really paying attention to my driving and trying not to go into the white area. When on the highway I set cruise to 74MPH. I'm concerned that I'm getting such poor milage. I realize the A/C was set on Auto mode today. So I am hoping it will help. But I don't see how A/C could impacting milage by that much. I wish I could get 30 MPG. I do live in San Francisco, but not in a very hilly part. I do hit bumper to bumper traffic coming back over the Bay Bridge. But this is where it should be exceeding the MPG rating. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-13, 04:32 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

David, mileage is going to vary between equal cars on same trip based on driving style, speed, how you brake, tire pressures and even brands. I do have to say part of the reason at least you won't hit 30mpg is where you're setting your cruise. If you set it at 70 VS 74 you should be a bit higher at least for that part of your trip. In your stop and go if you try to run on battery only w/o charging up to speed it can make your mpg really shine.

I get great mileage most of the time but sometimes if I do several short runs to the grocery or a neighbor of less than 5 miles it really drags the mpg down. All things being equal what do you think your mileage would be if you were driving the 350 VS the 450h? Something to ponder on.
Originally Posted by cubbie036
okay so I have had my 2010 450h for just over a month. The best MPG I've gotten is 27.3. I am using 91 octane gas and have Eco mode on. I drive about 40miles each way to work via highway. I'm ave 24MGP at best. I am really paying attention to my driving and trying not to go into the white area. When on the highway I set cruise to 74MPH. I'm concerned that I'm getting such poor milage. I realize the A/C was set on Auto mode today. So I am hoping it will help. But I don't see how A/C could impacting milage by that much. I wish I could get 30 MPG. I do live in San Francisco, but not in a very hilly part. I do hit bumper to bumper traffic coming back over the Bay Bridge. But this is where it should be exceeding the MPG rating. Any ideas?
Old 08-29-13, 03:00 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

I appreciate your input. I will try lowering cruise speed to 70. I mostly do it cause I can't afford to get another ticket. So admittedly I normally have a lead foot. However, ever since I got my RX I have drastically altered my driving habits. I am trying to keep out of the white(power) as much as possible. My tires are at 34psi which is how I got it from the dealership. I can't remember what brand they are. I am going to refuel today and reset all my MPG settings. I am going to do my best to follow all the advice I've read. So fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
David, mileage is going to vary between equal cars on same trip based on driving style, speed, how you brake, tire pressures and even brands. I do have to say part of the reason at least you won't hit 30mpg is where you're setting your cruise. If you set it at 70 VS 74 you should be a bit higher at least for that part of your trip. In your stop and go if you try to run on battery only w/o charging up to speed it can make your mpg really shine.

I get great mileage most of the time but sometimes if I do several short runs to the grocery or a neighbor of less than 5 miles it really drags the mpg down. All things being equal what do you think your mileage would be if you were driving the 350 VS the 450h? Something to ponder on.
Old 09-02-13, 06:09 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2010 as well. Past 2 weeks a couple 80 mile trips with a/c on, several stop and go spots, driving around local, etc. got 30.5 mpg. Have been over 33 mpg on straight trips. 28-29 normally on local stop go driving. I do know mpg improved 2mpg or more when I bought new Michellins 3 months ago to replace Dunlap's. 33 psi when cold.
Old 09-03-13, 10:13 AM
dony45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 8000 miles on my 2012 RX450H or I should say my wife does since it is her car. Her average is a little over 25 MPG and she drives mostly city and short trips. I find mileage is very much dependent on how you drive. When I drive I get around 28 in the city and can get 30 if very light on the pedal and I do a lot of coasting. Also get better on longer trips since it seems that first few miles eats the most gas when it is cold, more than likely charging the battery. My best is around 33 mpg on a longer trip. My wife drives with a lead foot although she said it is just normal driving.
Old 09-04-13, 03:02 PM
dflowers
Driver School Candidate

Been doing city driving all summer. Not that hot in the Pacific Northwest but hot enough to use the air conditioning. City mileage without AC can get in the high 20s. With AC it is hanging around 25mpg.
Old 09-04-13, 10:26 PM
rc2010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cubbie036
I live in San Francisco as well. My one way commute to work is about 7 miles with lots of stop and go. My 2010 rx450h has about 18k miles ytd, with average 22.1 mpg. When I go long trip on freeway, I can achieve about 26 mpg. I complained it to lexus service when it had 5k miles with 21 mpg, but they told me the car needs break-in first. I think it is never broke in or I have a lemon.
Old 09-19-13, 09:55 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Just achieved a new personal best over a full tank of gas. It was fluttering between 7.7 and 7.6L/100km, which equates to about 30.7mpg. Over the summer I've been hanging around 7.8 to 8.0 which is 29-30mpg. That's from 80/20 city/highway driving. I find it much easier to pull in good numbers if I stay off the highway and usually try to stay below 65mph if I do venture onto highway if I'm shooting for the best numbers.

Just once I'm hoping to hit 6.7 (35mpg), the somewhat ridiculous estimated number in Canada for the RX450h. My Camry Hybrid had a rating of 5.7, I managed to hit it's number once too. Fall approacheth, I probably only have 2 or 3 more tanks before the cold ends that game. In the mid of last winter the more typical numbers I would get would be high 9s, or around 24mpg +/- 1.
Old 09-30-13, 08:35 PM
Craig123
Driver School Candidate

Replaced a '99 528i and an old 95 burb 4WD with a 2010 RX450h FWD CPO and don't drive as aggressively now days. Finally got over the withdrawals of not driving the bimmer which averaged 25 MPG combined and 29 highway while the burb could not do any better than 13 MPG in any combination. Moved our son to Phoenix in May and was lucky to get 10 with a trailer one way with the burb. In comparison with the RX450h, we did two trips from the Bay Area, one to Southern Colorado and another to Vancouver Island, BC. First road trip to Colorado in July. I was a little heavy on the pedal, but still averaged 27-28 MPG round trip with average speeds between 80-85 just keeping pace with the truck traffic in CA, but mostly through AZ. Did notice the tire pressure was between 39-40 lbs while running across the Mohave Desert from the road heat. Outside temps ran 114. Ran north to Durango out of Flagstaff after doing a side trip to Mesa Verde. From Durango ran up to Creede and South Fork to fish the headwaters of the Rio Grande and crossed the Continental Divide a couple of times. Dropped south into Taos, NM before heading back home via I-40. Ran 87 octane for the most part. We had three adults and the vehicle packed with gear. The road trip to BC early Sept had varying ranges. From California into Oregon we had 28 MPG. In Washington the milage crept up between 30-31 and stayed the same as we headed towards the Campbell River and Tofino on Vancouver Island. Filled the tank in Tofino, only time on the island, at a price of $1.39/litre. That appeared to be the constant price on the island and BC. We refueled after we entered Washington heading south and the milage shot up to 33. After refueling midway through Oregon and back into California our milage dropped back down between 28-29. Ran on 87 octane with two adults. All freeway driving for the most part averaging 70-80 if others wished to take the lead at higher rates of speed. A burb in front of me between Yreka and Weed took the hit from the welcoming committee after we entered California. Not certain if Washington adds ethanol to their gas, but Oregon and California do as it was marked at the gas pumps. For the weight of the vehicle, I am pleased with the fuel economy so far. Drove the burb one last time into the mountains this last weekend and wasn't impressed after the above road trips with the only exception of load capacity. With its 42 gallon gas tank, the burb will get donated before anymore money goes into it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Craig123; 09-30-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 05:29 AM
raviola4
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default MPG in 2010 450H

Interesting to note you used 87 Octane. Only time I used was after bought our 2010 then went with 91-93 octane, noticing an improvement. Gas in Delaware for hi octane in some places 50 cents more than reg. it's gotten ridiculous. May try 87 again to compare mpg.
Old 10-07-13, 08:16 AM
Craig123
Driver School Candidate

Rav, even with the BMW, for the most part, we never used the higher octane rated fuels. If the gas price dropped appreciably, I would throw in a tank or two of the premium fuel, but never saw any appreciable boost in milage or performance to justify the cost. We have a 300 GS that we did the same with- 87 octane fuels. Last tank on the RX450h was 29.3 mpg. I'm impressed. Replaced the Dueler H/L with Michelin Latitude Tours recently. Verdict is still out whether they will do anything for milage.
Old 10-18-13, 01:09 PM
wrenninger
4th Gear

Default At 4,000 miles, fuel mileage

Have been getting 29 mpg suburban and 28 on highway at 70-75 mph in flat Florida. This on 89 octane 10% ethanol in the ECO mode with air conditioning on.
Old 11-25-13, 07:28 PM
falconer
Driver School Candidate

2014, 2nd tank of gas, 27 mpg. Computer said 24.5. 50/50 city/highway with wife driving the car primarily, which means foot on accelerator until up to red light, then foot on brakes.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?