Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-10, 11:57 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I presume you're talking about a GS 450h rather than the RX 450h.

Originally Posted by currybob
I've had my 2011 450 FWD for about 3 weeks now and have been very pleased with the mpg. No interstate and would have to say on my 17 miles one way to work 6 of it is city with another 5 in a 2 lane country road the rest is 4 lane. I'm hitting 33-34 on each fill up. Still warm but cooling off. We have no winter gas here in Alabama so expect to see very little drop this winter. I do the speed limit but don't have a lead foot. This is my 4th hybrid so I'm familiar with what works. I'm impressed with this vehicle and it's technology.
Bob
Old 11-03-10, 10:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ why...?
Old 11-04-10, 03:45 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ why...?
33-34 MPG is even higher than the EPA RX 450h specs (32 city/28 highway)!
Old 11-04-10, 03:54 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten my best mileage on the interstate with heavy traffic, cars less that 200 ft apart, and I've noticed a jump in mileage in areas with long runs of sound barriers and median walls.

Most of the energy above 30 MPH goes to wind resistance, so I guess the barriers block the ambient wind and the moving vehicles keep act like the peloton in cycling. As soon as the traffic spreads out the mileage drops.
Old 11-04-10, 03:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
33-34 MPG is even higher than the EPA RX 450h specs (32 city/28 highway)!
but the GS is rated in the mid 20s! lol
Old 11-05-10, 11:42 AM
currybob
Rookie

Sleepy
No, I'm talking about the RX450h. If you control the quick take off and ease into it and learn how to coast to reap the huge benefits to charge the battery it really helps your mpgs. The city area I have to drive has a speed limit of 25 so I'm almost all battery in that area. I have not gotten worse than 32mpg and check with a calculator. I'm very impressed with how accurate the computer is on what the car is showing verses’ what I get on the calculator. It has only been off by less than 1mpg.

Bob
Old 11-05-10, 01:50 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

...The city area I have to drive has a speed limit of 25 so I'm almost all battery in that area. I have not gotten worse than 32mpg and check with a calculator....
Hmmm, interesting. I've had mine in ECO mode for the last few months, and avoiding jackrabbit starts, but still getting only 28 MPG. Of note, once I approach 10 MPH, the engine always kicks in. I wonder if there is some setting I've overlooked.
Old 11-05-10, 02:09 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepysurf
Hmmm, interesting. I've had mine in ECO mode for the last few months, and avoiding jackrabbit starts, but still getting only 28 MPG. Of note, once I approach 10 MPH, the engine always kicks in. I wonder if there is some setting I've overlooked.
It's hard to do but to keep the 'ICE' off below 40mph, you have the keep the power gauge below the mid mark when accelerating or cruising. If you're maintaining speed below 40mph, you have to keep the needle below the mid mark.
Old 11-13-10, 07:24 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's hard to do but to keep the 'ICE' off below 40mph, you have the keep the power gauge below the mid mark when accelerating or cruising. If you're maintaining speed below 40mph, you have to keep the needle below the mid mark.
Tried it... no go. My engine kicks in at ~10 MPH even when the power gauge only 1/4 in the "green zone." Heck, it even kicks in just backing out of my driveway! In fact, I'm now averaging only 26 MPG. I just had my 5000 mi service and asked them to check it out, and they said everything is fine. Not sure I believe them, but no other dealer in town for a 2nd opinion.

Last edited by sleepysurf; 11-13-10 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 10:38 PM
jh87
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2011 450 FWD for about 3 weeks now and have been very pleased with the mpg. No interstate and would have to say on my 17 miles one way to work 6 of it is city with another 5 in a 2 lane country road the rest is 4 lane. I'm hitting 33-34 on each fill up. Still warm but cooling off. We have no winter gas here in Alabama so expect to see very little drop this winter. I do the speed limit but don't have a lead foot. This is my 4th hybrid so I'm familiar with what works. I'm impressed with this vehicle and it's technology.
Bob
In Eco mode? I only got 21-22 so far with my first two tanks, every disappointed. I do mostly local commute in normal mode with frequent stops. Maybe that is the reason?
Old 11-14-10, 02:05 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Here's a question:

How well does the MPG computer compare to actual mileage fuel use calculations? I will start keeping track next week and report after 1000 miles to smooth out filling differences.

It seems when I fill the tank it always takes less than I would have guessed based on the projected cruising range showing at the time. Maybe the computer is under reporting MPG?
Old 11-16-10, 08:02 AM
currybob
Rookie

I have check mine with the calculator every time and it always comes up to less than 1 mpg from the computer. I fill up till I see fuel at the neck so I'm sure it's full. I know you should not do that but prices were going up and wanted all the cheaper fuel I could get plus I had a ways to go till I got home so knew it would drop before I stopped.

Sleepy
What psi are you running in your tires? Also I've had mine up to 40 mph many times with just battery (as long as there was enough charge in the battery). Of course you have to watch pedal pressure and do it slowly. Could not do that uphill either.

There has got to be something wrong with the way yours is doing that after just 10 mph. With you being in FL you should not have winter gas affecting anything either. You might try contacting Lexus tech line or something and see if they could shed some light on your issue.

Bob
Old 11-16-10, 05:23 PM
currybob
Rookie

Thought I would take some photos for proof.

The average since fillup only has almost 60 miles on it but I have been careful and was working to be good to see how good I could get.

The second is the to average I guess since I've had the car and I'm at around 1500 miles or so. Weather has gotten colder lately so I aired my tires to 36 psi.
Attached Thumbnails whats your mpg on RX450h?-bobs2011rx450hmpgs-001.jpg   whats your mpg on RX450h?-bobs2011rx450hmpgs-002.jpg  
Old 11-20-10, 07:17 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Looks like something is wrong with my Eco mode! I turned it off, and my MPG's have since jumped up to 29.5. Also, now I can (slowly) accelerate beyond 10 MPH in pure battery mode. Guess I'll have to take it back to the dealer to investigate.
Old 12-01-10, 06:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I drove a loaner 450h and I loved it save the stupid remote mouse thing and the increased size of the RX. I couldn't figure out how to get out of Eco mode. I did notice that it stays in electric motor longer and can go faster. This is great. Ours was averaging 25.1 MPG, which isn't too different from our 400h. However, this loaner was very new (our 400h def. improved after the break in period) and is driven by all sorts of drivers. I myself jammed on it a few times. Intersting car. I would buy one.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?