Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 09:10 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this is a gas thread, but I just wanted to throw some fire into the pot and show others what you might be missing out on.

Just recently choose a 450h awd over a 350 and I'm surprised at how easy it is to get great mileage in this truck This is not Prius styles driving either, always at or above speed limits and keeping up with traffic. This was during our long weekend trip to the Florida Keys...

It was as high as 34.5MPG on the slow parts down in the keys but after getting on the I95 it dropped a bit. Granted this is roadtrip mileage but my normal commute has also been good too, averaging mostly between 28-29mpg. I did a test where I drove at a faster pace than normal and my worst was 26.5mpg. All on regular, since my first couple of tanks on 93 with pretty much the same results so I stuck with regular since then. Also worth noting the A/C on blast the whole way and the car was left idling for 10-15 minutes with the A/C on while one of us waited in the car with our dog. We love that the A/C can keep running without the engine having to turn over until the battery runs low, it can idle for periods without greatly impacting mileage, unlike gas engines.

Overall very happy with our 450h. IMO worth the slight premium we paid used over a 350, not purely for gas reasons only, but other reasons as well.

Old 09-06-16, 09:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tdott, we're going to keep the discussion about the 450h's mileage in this thread. The other mileage thread is for the 350 only.
Old 09-13-16, 06:44 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
tdott, we're going to keep the discussion about the 450h's mileage in this thread. The other mileage thread is for the 350 only.
That sucks, both threads have gone pretty stale and could use some excitement. Also thought it would serve as a good comparison for 350 drivers, it could even start some good discussion. In any case, I will go back to lurking and not visiting the site much with a slap on the wrist.
Old 09-13-16, 09:55 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

tdott, having separate mileage threads keeps the information not only on topic but relevant. It's also beneficial to CL members and visitors. The 350/450h discussion is nothing new. We have to respect each other's decision. One way to do that is by posting in the appropriate place. Sorry that you feel otherwise.
Old 09-13-16, 07:34 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
My second tank was 23.5 mpg. And, man, that was hard. I tried every trick in the book to save gas. Took off the cross bars on top to reduce drag, ran the tires at 35 psi (at 70 degrees) and A/C was off in the mornings. Also the windows were never rolled down while driving and I always tried not to go into the "power" band of the techometer. As a result, my commute went from 55 minutes in the morning to 1 hour and 5 minutes. Coming home, I didn't exceed 70 mph and accelerated super slow causing lot of disrespect from fellow lane cutting, hard braking and jerky accelerating drivers in Los Angeles. Yet, my battery does not fully charge. Even after extensive coasting and using brakes, it hit full charge only once.

On my old 2001 RX which is also an AWD, I drive pretty carefully and get about 18 to 18.5 mpg in mixed driving. but I easily go 80 mpg and do lots of quick stop and go's in city traffic. I can't live like this. this is some kind of a slow driving torture.
something interesting happened. I ran into my co-worker (not literally) coming home on the freeway. He drives the 15 RX 350 non hybrid. upon finding each other on the freeway, there was a couple of friendly cutting off and cutting in. But soon enough it was hybrid vs. ICE. I coudn't resist. Besides, I just about had enough of driving like I was on Prozac, Lipitor and Flomax all at the same time anyway. We both gave hand signals, then, I gunned it in sport mode. Dare I say it I think I had a little more oomph.... We had to stop cuz we were hitting triple digits and started to see traffic ahead. But it felt good.

Here is the interesting part. My car's battery charged up all the way (see my previous post about not being able to charge 100%). In fact I found out that I actually get better gas mileage every time I gun it and slow down in sport mode. My third tank, as a result, was 24.5, which was way more enjoyable than quickly speeding up and coasting the electric wave and whatnot. I simply put my foot down and go just like any other car. I use my brakes way more often but my battery charges well also. So, no more Leisure World driving style for me. For me this is the best mpg so far. I must have read too much into driving the "hybrid" style because gentle footing simply made things worse for me.

this morning I even saw a brief 26 mpg for a minute or so. I just wish I can start the car in sport mode as a default.

Last edited by MellonC00; 09-14-16 at 12:17 PM. Reason: corrected the term Power Mode to Sport Mode
Old 09-21-16, 08:44 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

'Just back from a 170 mile trip on Michigan's two-lanes. Fueled up early in the trip, and didn't exceed 55 MPH for the remaining 144.3 miles - through some small towns and a couple road construction detours.

2013 RXh AWD - A/C off, normal (not Eco or Sport), windows and roof open, 54K miles on car.

This is among my highest MPGs for any trip of over 100 miles:

Old 09-21-16, 05:31 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

I reset the mileage on a monthly basis (around 1,800 miles per month) and so far this month's 1,400 miles are coming in at 29.3 mpg; and I haven't come close to that 32.2 (it was a new-car fluke) in nearly three years.

Update: Finished the month at 28.8. Not stellar, but acceptable.

Last edited by NateJG; 10-02-16 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 01:33 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got back from a 2100 mile trip, much of it in the Appalachian Mountains, and averaged 27.969 MPG using 87 octane in Sport mode in my 2015 RX450h. The hardest thing about driving in Sport mode is keeping your speed down. I was trying to do 75 and I keep creeping up to 90+. On the interstate highways, ECO mode does not give me as good a mileage as controlling the car manually. The ECO around town gives me 30 to 32 MPG. I use nothing but Top Tier gasoline and have my Gas Buddy set to filter out all stations that are not Top Tier. This is more important than finding 91 octane since most stations carry 87, 89, 93 and some 94 octane and the car runs fine on 87. I have calculated that I am only 3% of my MPG by using 87 as opposed to 93. On $3.00 per gallon 87 octane, 91 would have to cost $3.09 a gallon to be equal. Good luck finding mid grade at 3% higher than regular. Although the manual recommends 91, it says you can use lower octane but not higher. Higher octane will carbon up your engine, spark plugs, valves and rings.
Old 10-02-16, 03:16 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
Higher octane will carbon up your engine, spark plugs, valves and rings.
Really?

Why/How?
Old 10-04-16, 07:55 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is the interesting part. My car's battery charged up all the way (see my previous post about not being able to charge 100%). In fact I found out that I actually get better gas mileage every time I gun it and slow down in sport mode. My third tank, as a result, was 24.5, which was way more enjoyable than quickly speeding up and coasting the electric wave and whatnot. I simply put my foot down and go just like any other car. I use my brakes way more often but my battery charges well also. So, no more Leisure World driving style for me. For me this is the best mpg so far. I must have read too much into driving the "hybrid" style because gentle footing simply made things worse for me.

this morning I even saw a brief 26 mpg for a minute or so. I just wish I can start the car in sport mode as a default.
Im now averaging 25 mpg regularly. Again this is with driving like im driving a regular car. None of the hybrid style driving with winter socks on - so to speak.

However i I still think my battery or my engine isn't responding like it should. I did a 0 to 60 run the other day - once going east bound and once going west bound and averaged them at 9.1 seconds. This is a far cry from 6.8 seconds recorded by car and driver. I couldn't break torque this thing either. If you press the break and the gas together it simply won't rev up. So my run could not have been that different from the magazine's. I wonder what I'm missing.
Old 10-05-16, 11:13 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Really?

Why/How?
Higher octane does not cause carbon build up. Carbon build up is most often caused by running too rich and incomplete combustion.

In fact, to get higher octane fuel you usually have to move to one of the "premium's", which may have more/different detergents and stabilizers which will actually reduce the carbon build up.
Old 10-05-16, 11:41 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Im now averaging 25 mpg regularly. Again this is with driving like im driving a regular car. None of the hybrid style driving with winter socks on - so to speak.

However i I still think my battery or my engine isn't responding like it should. I did a 0 to 60 run the other day - once going east bound and once going west bound and averaged them at 9.1 seconds. This is a far cry from 6.8 seconds recorded by car and driver. I couldn't break torque this thing either. If you press the break and the gas together it simply won't rev up. So my run could not have been that different from the magazine's. I wonder what I'm missing.

I monitored my driving style and fuel intake religiously for the first 50K miles. I watched my coasting. Tried to cruise in the cities on that ragged edge of electric-only. After convincing myself that the onboard computer matches real-world MPG by better than 99%, I stopped keeping a log. Stopped playing the mileage game. Reset my MPG bar graph only once per month now.

Now that I'm convinced that the car can do a reliable 27+ MPG - I'm simply driving it ignoring the electric (except that I always try to keep the needle just about fully charging during coasting up to stops) - and guess what?

The battery level now stays at 8 and sometimes 9 bars of charge - and my MPG has improved about 1 MPG.

Go figure.

I think (no, I believe that) I was simply "worrying" it to death.

When I bought this car, I wanted one that is bigger, more comfy, and more frugal (MPG) one than the one it replaced.

So far, it's 3:0.
Old 10-28-16, 03:52 PM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

11.8KM/L in NZ city traffic ~ 27MPG.
Old 10-31-16, 04:57 PM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an interesting story. We were averaging around 28 mpg on highway running 70-80 in GA. The car has 65,00 miles on it. It developed a knock that took two days for the dealer to diagnose. It seems that the balancers on the flywheel were bad. After waiting for parts and getting the repair done we just took the car to FL for the weekend. HWY miles going down from ATL came in at 32+ and even running up grade coming back it delivered over 30. WTF!!! Repairs were covered under powertrain warranty and would have cost more than 3,000 otherwise. I can only guess that this kind of failure is rare as the parts were delayed and the car was apart for two weeks. We had the loaner and can't say enough for the dealer, Hennessy of Gwinnett. I am eager to see what my lead footed wife gets around town.
Old 11-07-16, 08:37 AM
markneups
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mpg

we have a 2015 450h. Never experienced a problem. Car is perfect in every respect. Our mpg over the road at 70-75 is about 30-32 depending on the terrain. I plan on hanging onto this one. We looked and drove the new style 2016. No comparison. Not even close in ride,comfort or layout. Not to mention the kinda hideous look. Anyway-- love the 450h. Best auto we ever owned.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?