Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 02:31 PM
nesh
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is 2010 RX 450H. Same year as yours. I think it has to be short commute that's killing it. Although, I realized that my PSI posted was not at cold, in the morning when I start, it shows 32 PSI. Maybe I need to bump that.

I haven't been to a Lexus deanship since my purchase. So next time I go, I'll see if they have any suggestion or find any issue.

Originally Posted by jw5334
So what year for your RX 450H. Actually mine is 2010 and was bought in 2015.
I guess your short commute plays a role. If you take longer trip, you may read different result.
Old 02-11-16, 03:44 PM
jw5334
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has 2010 RX 350. She always got mpg 16 for a long time. Her commuting is just 8 miles a round trip. Not only that, recently I was surprised to find out that she used to set on S4 for all driving! So her driving habit was killing mileage too. Hope it helps you to understand all strange circumstances.
By the way, how many mileage did the car have when you bought it?

Originally Posted by nesh
It is 2010 RX 450H. Same year as yours. I think it has to be short commute that's killing it. Although, I realized that my PSI posted was not at cold, in the morning when I start, it shows 32 PSI. Maybe I need to bump that.

I haven't been to a Lexus deanship since my purchase. So next time I go, I'll see if they have any suggestion or find any issue.
Old 02-11-16, 03:54 PM
nesh
Rookie

Had 71k miles when I bought. Hoping it will last 100k more
Old 02-12-16, 08:25 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@zraovez (Venkat).
As you have probably read, you have to consider many things when trying to get better MPG.
As with regular ICE cars, you still want to baby the throttle as much as you can without getting ran over or honked at from the guys behind you.
You want to let off the gas as early as you feasibly can when approaching a stop or corner that you want to turn at.
Winter drops MPG due to the gas used at the pump and since it's cold outside. The summer gas blend should improve your MPG.
With hybrids, short trips are a killer...especially in this beast of a vehicle. A prius can do better with short trips since it's a much lighter car than the RxH is.
My experience: In the summer, I get around 23-25 (usually 23). In the winter, I get 21-23 (usually 21.5 on average).
Most of my trips are short (5 miles out, 5 miles back). If i can go longer distances in the city and have a few stops, i can get over 25, but that's so rare).
If you haven't noticed, you can get to about 40 MPH and drive below the ECO bar - that helps gas mileage as you can run more on battery alone than you can over 40 MPH. The ICE will always run above 40 MPH, but the battery still helps power the wheels.
Actually, many people say the ICE always kicks in no matter what MPH you are at, and this may be mostly true, but you can power the wheels on battery alone (or close to it) if you stay under 40 mph and go slow from a dead start.

Pay attention to your eco gauge (pay attention to the road of course) while you drive. Another thing to note, is once you get up to speed (lower speeds definitely), let off the gas slightly, then re-engage the gas pedal softly and that helps disengage the ICE some times and allows you to run more on battery power.

Bottom line: flooring your car from the start, getting up to speed quickly, plus braking hard at stops causes any car to not get MPG where it should be.

Be gentle with it and hopefully as temperatures warm up, you'll see better gas mileage, but you won't see what Lexus claims (and that's true with 90% of the cars out there today, unfortunately). Manufacturers follow EPA guidelines (and fudge a little) to report their MPG. They can operate their car in a controlled environment. You can't.
Old 02-12-16, 08:53 AM
nesh
Rookie

Mors has hit pretty much all great points. I am getting pretty bad mpg but I can tell it is mostly related to my short commute. Sometimes in winter, I'm at work before by temperature gauge stabilizes. Warmer climate and little longer trips should help.

@zraovez, you should reset mpg reading, go for a 10-12 mile drive around city where you'd be driving around 40-45 mph and see what the reading shows after the trip. You can also reset after engine warmed up and then do the test. I hope you'd see 28 mpg easily. This is ideal scenario and most of the time you won't.

I tried the same thing, drove 10 miles within town and like a miracle, I saw 31mpg just for that drive!! But never again after that on my daily drives haha
Old 02-14-16, 08:33 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Default Type of Gas

Originally Posted by jw5334
So what year for your RX 450H. Actually mine is 2010 and was bought in 2015.
I guess your short commute plays a role. If you take longer trip, you may read different result.
I bought a new 2015 RX450h last month and I am trying different brand of gasoline. So far Shell premium seems to give the best mileage. I am getting around 27 mpg in all types of driving. That is strange about Shell as my Silverado diesel truck gets terrible mpg when I use it. Experiment with different types of gas and see if that makes a differences.
Old 02-15-16, 04:59 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jerry61
I bought a new 2015 RX450h last month and I am trying different brand of gasoline. So far Shell premium seems to give the best mileage. I am getting around 27 mpg in all types of driving. That is strange about Shell as my Silverado diesel truck gets terrible mpg when I use it. Experiment with different types of gas and see if that makes a differences.
I have a 2015 AWD 450. New last March.
I average about the same in warm weather--- cold weather is about 21-23. My daily drive is short. Only 5 miles each way. Warm up does have a big affect on mpg.as well,as driving steady speed -- such as on the highway. I have had it over 30 mpg on long thruway rides. I'm ok with the mpg because I love everything about the car. Plus gasoline is around $1.95'gal. Good with the not so good--- it averages out. There is a whole lot more to like than dislike about this car. Just glad I got the 2015 and not waited for the 2016---- I have heard some bad things about quality,ride,looks and mpg. Mpg being much worse than previous models.
Old 02-15-16, 07:41 AM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 RX450h MPGs

In 2 words, lousy mileage. We average 23.8 year round, regardless of weather, terrain, city/hwy driving, etc. Lexus has over-rated the MPGs for years. Yet, it's a very comfortable unit.
Old 02-15-16, 12:41 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a retired engineer so knowing that modern cars automatically adjust for octane value, I decided to see how much loss of power and MPG I would get if I changed to 87 octane (regular) gas. I allowed the tank to approach empty before I refilled with Costco regular. My MPG dropped on this first tank but was back to what I was getting with 93 octane (Costco premium) by the second tank. No engine knocking, no loss of power or MPG. At the current gas prices, the 60 to 70 cents per gallon difference is a 50% savings. As long as there is no knocking, the engine is in no danger. I have been doing this for 3 months now and am averaging 28 MPG in cold winter weather and short trips of 8 miles. Since the engine heats up before I leave the subdivision, I do not stop moving before it is warm enough to shut down at stops. I let off the gas and coast when I see a red light ahead or a long line at a light that is just turned green. When I do put on the brakes, I stop using the regenerative braking by gently pushing on the brake peddle. Given applying the breaks early enough, you don't have the use the friction brakes to stop, only to hold your position which will save you money on maintenance later. When I pull away I don't gun the engine and usually am still beside the idiot who gunned his engine and hit his brakes hard at the next stop light.

From what I have been able to learn on this web site, my RX450h is getting about 8 MPG better than the same year RX350. The 350 will have 2 brake jobs for each that I need and the electric AWD is far superior on snow and ice than the mechanical AWD of the RX350.

Yes living in Chicagoland I get 2 MPG lower than the EPA mileage in the cold of winter but in summer I am getting 2-3 MPG higher so I am averaging at close to the EPA MPG values overall.
Old 02-15-16, 03:49 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
I am a retired engineer so knowing that modern cars automatically adjust for octane value, I decided to see how much loss of power and MPG I would get if I changed to 87 octane (regular) gas. I allowed the tank to approach empty before I refilled with Costco regular. My MPG dropped on this first tank but was back to what I was getting with 93 octane (Costco premium) by the second tank. No engine knocking, no loss of power or MPG. At the current gas prices, the 60 to 70 cents per gallon difference is a 50% savings. As long as there is no knocking, the engine is in no danger. I have been doing this for 3 months now and am averaging 28 MPG in cold winter weather and short trips of 8 miles. Since the engine heats up before I leave the subdivision, I do not stop moving before it is warm enough to shut down at stops. I let off the gas and coast when I see a red light ahead or a long line at a light that is just turned green. When I do put on the brakes, I stop using the regenerative braking by gently pushing on the brake peddle. Given applying the breaks early enough, you don't have the use the friction brakes to stop, only to hold your position which will save you money on maintenance later. When I pull away I don't gun the engine and usually am still beside the idiot who gunned his engine and hit his brakes hard at the next stop light.

From what I have been able to learn on this web site, my RX450h is getting about 8 MPG better than the same year RX350. The 350 will have 2 brake jobs for each that I need and the electric AWD is far superior on snow and ice than the mechanical AWD of the RX350.

Yes living in Chicagoland I get 2 MPG lower than the EPA mileage in the cold of winter but in summer I am getting 2-3 MPG higher so I am averaging at close to the EPA MPG values overall.
How about sending an Italian Beef my way they are hard to find in middle Georgia.
Old 02-15-16, 06:00 PM
snowman22
Rookie

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT

Just wondering what year your 450 is. I had a 2013 rx350 AWD. Winter mpg was horrid at about 12 mpg. City and 16 highway. Hence--- the 450.
Old 02-16-16, 07:48 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Good info Copapilot! We seem to be always in the 28 mpg range using premium in our 2015. But then again, we don't drive it much. I think we put less than 5k on it in its first year with a combination of town and highway driving.
Old 02-16-16, 07:51 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Originally Posted by snowman22
Just wondering what year your 450 is. I had a 2013 rx350 AWD. Winter mpg was horrid at about 12 mpg. City and 16 highway. Hence--- the 450.
Wow, that's about the mileage my Hemi Ram 1500 4x4 gets. In fact I get a tad better, around 13-14 in city driving.
Old 02-22-16, 07:01 AM
snowman22
Rookie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by SeventyGTX
Wow, that's about the mileage my Hemi Ram 1500 4x4 gets. In fact I get a tad better, around 13-14 in city driving.
No exaggeration. The mpg was that bad. I took it to the dealer a few times to check for any problems and everything was normal. The service manager told me my mpg was close to normal for this vehicle under normal driving conditions in winter conditions. Heck of a big difference from what the window sticker stated. Live and learn. I would never buy another Lexus except for the hybrid.
Old 02-22-16, 10:09 AM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My RX450h is the 2015 model.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?