whats your mpg on RX450h? - Page 43 - Club Lexus Forums

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Old 05-06-14, 08:21 PM   #631
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosuser View Post
Who gets 67 or 117 mpg and in what car? I want one!
Here is my 2012 Plug in Prius. It is a real car with most of the good things that we expect today like power windows, power driver's seat, heated front seats, Head up Display, Pre Collision System, Intelligent Radar Cruise Control, non skid brakes, stability control. and back up camera. It seats five adults and has almost as much cargo space as an SUV. Unlike some other Plug in cars, it has a flat cargo floor.

When running on non EV hybrid (like an RXh) I regularly get 60 mpg. The mix of non EV AND EV has, for me, a two year life time mpg average of 115 mpg. These cars are available.

The reason the table has such odd numbers is that there is a third column which is liters per 100 kilometers equivalent. It is even numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
whats your mpg on RX450h?-ggg-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Allannde; 05-06-14 at 08:49 PM.
Allannde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 01:07 PM   #632
Aptosuser
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allannde View Post
Here is my 2012 Plug in Prius .... When running on non EV hybrid (like an RXh) I regularly get 60 mpg. The mix of non EV AND EV has, for me, a two year life time mpg average of 115 mpg. These cars are available.
Allande, I know about these cars for sure. Unfortunately, we don't have a garage, so we have to park our cars in our driveway and I don't want to charge a plug-in that's exposed to the street in that manner, not to mention the expense of installing an exterior outlet for it. They make a lot of sense, and for good for you for buying one.

We will continue to milk our two hybrids for all the mpg they're worth. Today when I filled up the RX hybrid, my real-world, at-the-pump mpg for the latest tank of gas (premium) was 29.57. This was even a shade better than the car's computer had predicted, which was 29.3 mpg. According to the car computer, we've been averaging 30.7 since the beginning of March. That's in mixed driving with a heavy dose of freeway driving in the mix. My wife was the car's principal driver for six weeks of this period as I was unable to drive because I was recovering from surgery. I have only been driving the car for the last couple of weeks. But I have managed to stay close to my wife's stellar average mpg by driving more like she does -- which is more slowly than I was going, although not by much. Instead of driving at the 65 mph limit, I keep to 62, and I have no problem slowing to 60 in the right-hand lane when my exit is coming up.
Aptosuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-14, 05:09 PM   #633
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosuser View Post
Allande, I know about these cars for sure. Unfortunately, we don't have a garage, so we have to park our cars in our driveway and I don't want to charge a plug-in that's exposed to the street in that manner, not to mention the expense of installing an exterior outlet for it. They make a lot of sense, and for good for you for buying one.

We will continue to milk our two hybrids for all the mpg they're worth. Today when I filled up the RX hybrid, my real-world, at-the-pump mpg for the latest tank of gas (premium) was 29.57. This was even a shade better than the car's computer had predicted, which was 29.3 mpg. According to the car computer, we've been averaging 30.7 since the beginning of March. That's in mixed driving with a heavy dose of freeway driving in the mix. My wife was the car's principal driver for six weeks of this period as I was unable to drive because I was recovering from surgery. I have only been driving the car for the last couple of weeks. But I have managed to stay close to my wife's stellar average mpg by driving more like she does -- which is more slowly than I was going, although not by much. Instead of driving at the 65 mph limit, I keep to 62, and I have no problem slowing to 60 in the right-hand lane when my exit is coming up.
Aptouser, I think that you should be proud of your efforts to conserve gasoline. You are consuming half of the fuel of the major competitors of the RX450h. There was some inconvenience in adjusting my garage for a charger, but now it is the essence of convenience. I plug the car in the evening before then with the built in timer the car charges just before I need it in the morning. And I just took a short 1.5 mile round trip to the bank without worry of warming up the internal combustion engine. I like that.

The combination of the Plug in Prius and the RX450h seems pretty close to ideal to me.
Allannde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 04:40 AM   #634
raviola4
Driver

getting decent numbers these days after that $&@?'n winter. Recent nearly 29 mpg local with minor highway driving. Winter drove those numbers down by 2-3 mpg or more. Trips still exceed 30 mpg, 32 or more if I go speed limit but as is normal, less the faster you go. Anxious ti finally get some retirement trips in over the next year to really take full advantage of the great 450 ride etc.
raviola4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 08:15 AM   #635
rc2010
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2010 Lexus RX450H. My total mileage is about 23K, the overall average MPG is 22.5 as of today. I tried to keep the meter stay in the green zone and have light foot on the gas pedal, but that does not seem to help. I think this is the worst among all RX450H driver. FYI, I live in San Francisco and have 6.5 miles single trip from home to work. I only own this car, so it is my daily commuter. Does anyone else have a worst RX450H MPG than mine? I recently had a trip to Reno, and it averaged 28 MPG for that trip only.
rc2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 08:57 AM   #636
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

rc2010, what octane gas are you using? Is that with eco mode on or off? I only use Shell 93 octane and just switched eco mode back on after the temps finally warmed up. My average has since gone up to the mid 20s during my hilly six mile commute to work. I literally have to drive down one mountain and up another. I won't even tell you what the past winter mileage was Hint, it was worse than yours. Still I've managed 26 MPG overall with less than 32K miles.

One thing I've done on the way home is to detour off the final hill to a flatter road with a slight decline. It's added a mile to the overall commute. And I still have to go over a hill. But I can more easily keep it in the green since the speed limit is lower. It's made a bit of a difference.
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-14, 10:19 AM   #637
Cruiter

I went to Milledgeville on Saturday, mostly state highways with maximum speeds at 65mph. About 130 miles each way and set cruise at speed limit when possible. It appears the summer blends are back . Below are a couple of snaps from the same tank and over the last couple of years average. I can handle those MPG's .
Attached Thumbnails
whats your mpg on RX450h?-20140512_085612.jpg   whats your mpg on RX450h?-20140512_085622.jpg  
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 09:35 AM   #638
rc2010
Driver School Candidate

I had tried Octane 91 in the past, and did not see any drastic improvement of MPG. At that time, it was still showing "MPG after refueling" around 22-23 MPG. Nowadays, I use Octane 89 most of the time and occasionally fill up with Octane 91. I also turned on "eco" mode about a year ago, and that did not seem to help too much. I do think it may be due to my car. As you can tell, even if I go extreme long distance like from San Francisco to Reno, I can only achieve about 28-29 MPG, as opposes to 30-31 MPG most other claim while doing long distance drive. FYI, I live in Sunset district and commute to work on Geary Blvd, so it is not that much hills.
rc2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 05:32 AM   #639
Artichoke1
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious, has anyone attempted to average the numbers on this thread to determine whether the 450h gets the advertised mileage? My dealer says he often gets complaints from people that aren't getting what they expected.
Artichoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 08:26 AM   #640
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Not that I'm aware of. There's too many variables IMO to make an accurate assessment like weather, road surface, speed, trip duration, eco mode on/off just to name a few. As far as the complaints, people find that easier to do than taking a look at their own driving habits.
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 12:25 PM   #641
Cruiter

Like Anita said, there are too many variables between drivers and their daily drives to do that. And Lexus (and all manufacturers) list disclaimers to get around that. However my post http://www.clublexus.com/forums/8532288-post598.html shows it can be true under decent conditions and over a vast period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke1 View Post
I'm curious, has anyone attempted to average the numbers on this thread to determine whether the 450h gets the advertised mileage? My dealer says he often gets complaints from people that aren't getting what they expected.
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:24 PM   #642
wa3cuj
Pole Position

I had a 2010 for just over 4 years and traded it for a 2013. After having it for about 2 weeks I headed to Florida for a couple of months this winter. When I got back I had put 6000 miles on it so I was a little over due for my 5000 mile service.

I complained about the poor mileage I was getting. I had one tank on my drive North where I barely broke 20 mpg. The dealer put it on the computer and showed me a printout that said there was nothing wrong. I did have them remove the crossbars on the roof rack while I was there.

Well, for having "found nothing" and for having "done nothing" all of the sudden my average mileage went from about 24 mpg to just over 30 mpg (just like the 2010 I traded in). You could literally see it improved on the drive home from the dealer.

For over four years I read this board and quietly thought that many people really did not know how to drive these things. After my experience, I now believe there is more to it. I have no idea what was done to my vehicle but it worked!!!
wa3cuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:36 PM   #643
Aptosuser
Driver

Our 2010 RX 450h's on-board computer is reporting 30.2 average mpg since the beginning of March. I just filled up today and the mpg for the latest tank was 27.5, which is what the car computer had predicted. This has been in preponderantly highway driving, with some stop-and-go in the mix. I am using premium gas and I stay to the right at 60-62 mph even in 65 zones. I can get away with that because I'm retired and don't have to go anywhere in a hurry.
Old 05-22-14, 06:52 AM   #644
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I think the biggest factor on how well or not you are doing with your gas mileage is the what Formula of gasoline they are putting out at the oil refineries that goes to your area where you are buy the gas. My last two fill ups were 28.64 and 28.67 both found by math not what the car shows. where last month was 25.1 and 25.72 same driving routes about the same morning temperatures afternoon temp a little warmer but not by that much. True test will be with this tank as the afternoon temps will be in the 90's here.
billy44bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-14, 10:52 AM   #645
Aptosuser
Driver

Default 31 mpg!

I hit a new gas-mileage milestone with my most recent fill-up (or "Fuelup") yesterday: 31 mpg. This was over a distance of 243 miles, mostly on freeways between our house on the coast and destinations in Silicon Valley and the SF East Bay, and thus three miles more per gallon than the 28 mpg estimate/rating for highway mileage. The car's computer was predicting that I'd get 30.6 mpg at fill-up, so I beat that by 4-tenths of a mile, but as the saying goes, "it was close enough for horseshoes." I drove as much as I could safely on cruise control. I used 91 octane gas as prescribed by the owners' manual. I drove on Michelin tires at about 35 psi. I still had half a tank of gas when I filled up.

I used a couple of visual cues to track how I was doing as I drove: the energy display on the NAV screen and the instrument panel read-out on mpg at fill-up. Both give you real-time feedback on how efficiently you're driving but from different viewpoints. The NAV-screen display tells you when you're running on the battery, the ICE or some combination of both. I've found that including this screen in my instrument, etc. scan, helps improve my pulse-and-glide technique. Monitoring the instrument panel read-out lets me know whether I'm maintaining the average mpg or whether it's improving or degrading and under what circumstances.

But the most effective way to improve mileage is to drive slower. I always observe speed limits, in any case, but there's no law that says I have to drive at the speed limit. So following my wife's example I have been staying a couple of mph under the posted limits. I keep to the most right-hand lane except to pass even slower vehicles (not many of those around our area), and then I accelerate to 65 mpg or whatever the speed limit is to get past them and back into the slow lane again. I get better gas mileage this way, saving both money and wear and tear on my nerves. I figure that we don't really lose much time this way over a 90-mile drive. (If I were driving down to L.A., say, that would be a different story.)