Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 12:31 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gotin
You are absolutely right.
GS is starting in second gear when Snow Mode is engaged.

HYBRID SNOW Mode: When activated, this mode helps enhance control stability due to accelerator pedal operation. This mode moderates the amount of system power output in relation to the amount of accelerator operation. On AWD models, if the front wheels slip, the assist power of the rear electric motor is optimized, enhancing start-off stability.

I would say: The assist power of the rear electric motor is optimized in order to prevent the front wheels to spin.
Not disagreeing with you in theory. The rear wheels would assist in the same manner if in snow mode or not , thus AWD. VSC is going to operate regardless when a wheel is spining. The statement is there to let AWD know that they get additional traction from three wheels instead of one for FWD.

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)
The VSC system electronically monitors speed and direction, and compares the vehicle's direction of travel with the driver's steering, acceleration and braking inputs. VSC can help compensate for loss of traction which can cause skids. It utilizes some components shared with the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) and an electronically controlled engine throttle as well as a dedicated computer and sensors providing information to the VSC system. These include a yaw rate sensor, a G-sensor and a steering angle sensor.

When VSC is active, a warning beep tone and instrument panel warning light indicate that the system is functioning. In many cases, VSC reacts well before the driver is aware of a loss of traction. As with other safety technologies, such as anti-lock brakes, it is important to drive safely, since Vehicle Stability Control cannot defy the laws of physics, nor can it provide more traction than exists in a given condition.
The rear motor is independent of snow mode and will only come on when power is needed to be sent to the rear wheels, regardless of mode. Remember, it's not a true AWD vehicle (there is no mechanical drive shaft from front to rear).
Old 02-26-14, 02:39 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oohpapi44, those of us who've experimented with snow mode (on dry pavement) have noticed that the car tends to use electric power more often than not in this mode, including powering the rear axle more. At least that's the direction of energy flow that the NAV energy-monitor screen is showing me with the yellow arrows. I've also noticed that the two electric motors are working in tandem to charge the battery more. As a side note, I've confirmed for myself that my RX hybrid does a lot better mileage-wise when the gas engine is warm. Today, for example, I used snow mode in both directions on my two mile (one-way) drive to our health club. Outbound, there's more downhill than uphill along the route and I'm able to coast with the ICE off much of the way. But in part because of the uphill segments and in part, I guess, because the gas engine wasn't warmed up yet, I'd only managed 19 mpg by the time I got to the club. On the return trip, more uphill than downhill, I actually gained mileage, finishing at 20 mpg for the round trip. On this segment, the engine-temperature needle was half way up the dial. What I don't understand is why a cold gas engine would reduce mileage even when the car isn't relying on it.
Old 02-26-14, 04:37 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
oohpapi44, those of us who've experimented with snow mode (on dry pavement) have noticed that the car tends to use electric power more often than not in this mode, including powering the rear axle more. At least that's the direction of energy flow that the NAV energy-monitor screen is showing me with the yellow arrows. I've also noticed that the two electric motors are working in tandem to charge the battery more. As a side note, I've confirmed for myself that my RX hybrid does a lot better mileage-wise when the gas engine is warm. Today, for example, I used snow mode in both directions on my two mile (one-way) drive to our health club. Outbound, there's more downhill than uphill along the route and I'm able to coast with the ICE off much of the way. But in part because of the uphill segments and in part, I guess, because the gas engine wasn't warmed up yet, I'd only managed 19 mpg by the time I got to the club. On the return trip, more uphill than downhill, I actually gained mileage, finishing at 20 mpg for the round trip. On this segment, the engine-temperature needle was half way up the dial. What I don't understand is why a cold gas engine would reduce mileage even when the car isn't relying on it.

I stand corrected. Found this on A Lexus UK site

Uniquely, the RX is as agile on city streets as it is sturdy on rougher terrain. This is in no small part due to highly responsive Electric Power Steering (EPS), which automatically adjusts handling feel as speed increases. The car also benefits from an E-Four permanent All Wheel Drive system assisted by a 50KW electric motor on the rear axle. With flawless integration, it provides enhanced traction to cope with any challenge. For example, the Snow mode distributes power across all four wheels for better purchase in icy conditions. In contrast, Sport mode maximises performance and agility - giving faster response to driver input so that the full power of the V6 engine may be exploited.
http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/rx...icleHighlights
Old 02-26-14, 05:03 PM
gotin
Driver School Candidate

The main purpose of Snow mode is to allow the vehicle to start and accelerate on slippery road surfaces.
None of VSC and TRAC can assist you for that particular job. On the contrary they obstruct you and you must switch them OFF.
If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow or mud, the TRAC/VSC systems may reduce power from the engine (RX350) or hybrid system (RX450h) to the wheels. You may need to turn the system off to enable you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.
Originally Posted by oohpapi44
VSC is going to operate regardless when a wheel is spining.
Here I am disagreeing with you in theory.
VSC is a system that helps prevent side skids and help stabilize the vehicle while turning on a curve or sudden steering.
Active TRAC employs brake and throttle control to reduce wheelspin and transfer torque to the wheel with the most traction

Both systems mainly employ brakes and need firm ground to operate, thus both are pretty useless on snow/ice/mud.

What happens when you try to start a RWD vehicle and one of the wheels begin to spin on a slippery road, covered with snow?
VSC is simply not working. Why? Because the sensors are reading nothing and the system has nothing to compare. Here comes Traction control in action.
What is doing Traction control by such conditions?
1. You press the gas pedal and one wheel starts to spin.
2. Immediately TRAC is engaged and it is applying brake to this wheel.
3. Then the opposite wheel starts to spin.
4. TRAC is applying brake to the second wheel also.
The result - you are pressing the gas pedal and TRAC is pressing the brakes!
If the car is with automatic transmission nothing happens.
If the car is with manual transmission - your engine stops.
What is the solution - the TRAC OFF button.

If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow, ice or mud only HYBRID SNOW mode will try to help you. How?
Reduced gas pedal input, changed gear ratio and optimized power distribution between the front and rear wheels by AWD.
The rear motor is independent of snow mode and will only come on when power is needed to be sent to the rear wheels, regardless of mode.
In fact according to the HYBRID SNOW mode definition the vehicle will act differently, but I suppose that this different behavior is applicable only by very low speed.
Remember, it's not a true AWD vehicle (there is no mechanical drive shaft from front to rear).
I am a passionate skier and I have a lot of experience on snow covered mountain roads (3 winters with RX400h and the last winter with RX450h). The AWD RX is one of the best SUVs on snow just because there is no mechanical drive shaft from front to rear. The rear electric motor is faster in reaction then the mechanical alternatives and by lost traction of the front wheels it engages immediately.
I never felt uncomfortable with my RX on snow.
Old 02-26-14, 05:21 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I am a passionate skier and I have a lot of experience on snow covered mountain roads (3 winters with RX400h and the last winter with RX450h). The AWD RX is one of the best SUVs on snow just because there is no mechanical drive shaft from front to rear. The rear electric motor is faster in reaction then the mechanical alternatives and by lost traction of the front wheels it engages immediately.
That's nice to hear, although I don't and won't have much use for this feature, as it never snows around here. I was a passionate skier until Jan. 8, 2008, when I slipped and fell on ice (after a pretty good day of skiing at S. Lake Tahoe), shattered my right hip socket (acetabulum), which set me on a course to chronic hip pain. My skis and I haven't been back to the Sierra (or any mountains anywhere) since. Boo-hoo!
Old 02-26-14, 07:16 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main purpose of Snow mode is to allow the vehicle to start and accelerate on slippery road surfaces.

If the vehicle gets stuck in fresh snow, ice or mud only HYBRID SNOW mode will try to help you. How?
Reduced gas pedal input, changed gear ratio and optimized power distribution between the front and rear wheels by AWD.

In fact according to the HYBRID SNOW mode definition the vehicle will act differently, but I suppose that this different behavior is applicable only by very low speed.

So can you please give me the "Dummies" version? Why does the mpg seem to increase while in HYBRID SNOW mode, more so than in ECO MODE?
Old 02-26-14, 10:14 PM
gotin
Driver School Candidate

Default How HYBRID SNOW affects fuel efficiency.

Originally Posted by cflutist
So can you please give me the "Dummies" version? Why does the mpg seem to increase while in HYBRID SNOW mode, more so than in ECO MODE?
1. HYBRID SNOW reduces the gas pedal input and as a result it increases your "comfort zone" to drive the car in extended electric mode.
2. HYBRID SNOW optimizes power distribution between the front and rear wheels and as a result the rear electric motor is used more. (by AWD RX450h only)

The more electricity you use by your driving style, the more fuel you save.

I recommend using HYBRID SNOW by start-and-go driving ONLY.
I do NOT recommend using HYBRID SNOW by highway or motorway driving, because the result would be very negligible and it is possible that the VDIM performance is affected. I will explain this in another post.

When the air conditioning system is ON you must use ECO and HYBRID SHOW always together for best fuel efficiency. For best inside temperature comfort (air conditioning system ON) switch ECO MODE OFF. I will explain this in another post.

Last edited by gotin; 02-26-14 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 10:21 PM
gotin
Driver School Candidate

That's nice to hear, although I don't and won't have much use for this feature
AWD RX400h in not equipped with the HYBRID SNOW mode and it is excellent on snow.
AWD RX450h is even better.
Old 02-27-14, 05:50 AM
bring
Driver School Candidate

I love this thread - lots of great info - thanks to all for contributing!
Old 03-04-14, 06:09 PM
websailor
Rookie

Looks like Google selected a RX450H as part of their autos driving themselves test - http://smartautocar.com/lexus-rx450h...ing-of-google/

Since this could all be programmed, I wonder what kind of mileage they get and how they use the various controls to maximize the hybrid operation.

Anyone know someone at Google that could clue us in?

Last edited by websailor; 03-04-14 at 06:13 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-05-14, 06:27 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by websailor
Looks like Google selected a RX450H as part of their autos driving themselves test - http://smartautocar.com/lexus-rx450h...ing-of-google/

Since this could all be programmed, I wonder what kind of mileage they get and how they use the various controls to maximize the hybrid operation.

Anyone know someone at Google that could clue us in?
Doesn't seem like they were trying to maximize perfomance (or they'd likely be going with the Ford Fusion or simiar vehicle), but more to test the technology. 450 was chosen specifically for the road conditions (snow, etc).

Google adds Lexus RX450h to ongoing self-driving car project

“Roads…? Where we’re going we don’t need roads!” Okay, so we still need roads, perhaps what Doc Brown should have said was “where we’re going we don’t need drivers,” because that is rapidly becoming the case thanks to modern technology. You see, in the future cars will drive themselves. And one of the companies paving the way for that very future is Google and its self-driving car project; a project which we might add has proven without a doubt that autonomous vehicles are no longer an object of science fiction.

How so? Well, the Internet search giant has clocked in over 300,000 miles testing its self-driving Toyota Prius, sweeping across city-scapes and suburbs alike. Now, it looks to add another hybrid to the mix, the Lexus RX450h, as it turns its attention to more treacherous and tricky road conditions.

“To provide the best experience we can, we’ll need to master snow-covered roadways, interpret temporary construction signals and handle other tricky situations that many drivers encounter,” Chris Urmson, Engineering Lead of the Self-driving program wrote on Google’s official blog.

With the RX450h’s electric all-wheel-drive system Google should have little difficulty traversing the tricky terrain it has planned.

In addition to incorporating the RX450h into its fleet of autonomous test vehicles, Google will soon begin to alter the way its self-driving teams go about their research. Right now, two person teams are employed for test drives at all times, but that number will drop down to one as team members begin to utilize the vehicles for their daily commutes and other conventional tasks.

With the reduction of one driver, we have to ask: When will we see a Google car without any human overseers? The answer: Probably not anytime soon. Despite the fact that Google’s self-driving car has gone more than 300,000 without incident, Google says it will keep a watchful pair of eyes in the car in case something does go awry. Furthermore, in order for Google to operate its self-driving cars in California, a licensed driver must be behind the wheel at all times.

Of course, questions arise as to why Google has chosen to delve into the autonomous driving technology market in the first place. For a company that so handily dominates the search engine business, and has other lucrative arms, it doesn’t add up entirely. But perhaps this question is answered in Urmon’s blog entry when he writes, “Technology is at its best when it makes people’s lives better, and that’s precisely what we’re going for with our self-driving car project. We’re using advanced computer science to try and make driving safer and more enjoyable.”

That may be, but should Google’s motives prove less altruistic the reality is it doesn’t really matter, short of some maniacal plot to overthrow the world powers and install its own Google government. Although, with the way the company is run we can’t say we’d mind all that much.

Nevertheless, the realization of our nerd-fueled childhood fantasies is slowly taking shape, and we couldn’t be happier.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/go...#ixzz2v69jqYh1
Old 03-06-14, 05:23 PM
websailor
Rookie

Thanks oohpapi44 !
Old 03-20-14, 05:49 PM
websailor
Rookie

Smile First road trip mileage

We just got back from our first road trip - down to Carmel, CA. From start to finish it was 280 miles, a bit of town driving leaving and the last part of getting back home, but mostly highway driving. While in Carmel, we just parked it and walked the rest of the time.

On the road going down. the highest mpg we saw was 31.2 mpg - this was driving slower than we usually do and more carefully in regards to the mpg. Still it was a lot of 60 to 65 mph, a few bits at 70 mph while passing or when my attention got distracted. All in all, not really that much different than I usually drive. Traffic was fairly light so we could drive the way we wanted to most of the time.

On the way back home, traffic was heavier so we had to drive a bit faster and had to be a bit more aggressive at times (setting up moving into different lanes, passing big rigs, etc).

Upon arriving home, we filled up with gas to calculate the true MPG - actual gallons / actual miles. It averaged 29.25 mpg for the whole trip. I'm quite pleased with that as we have less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, so the car is still being broken in.

I'm quite happy with this new Hybrid!
Old 03-20-14, 06:13 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

Congratulations! I knew you could do it. Mileage wise, it seems like the 450h is a better road car than an in-town car.
Old 03-20-14, 08:17 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations! I knew you could do it. Mileage wise, it seems like the 450h is a better road car than an in-town car.
What hubby websailor didn't mention was that we were driving on Highway 1 from Pacifica down to Carmel where the speed limit was 45 in many sections. Coming back it was normal freeway driving on US101.

People who signed the guestbook in our room were from Aptos

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?