Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation > Hybrid Technology
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Old 05-15-10, 11:22 AM   #31
RXSF
Trader Score: (0)

lol ironic that we are worried about Li ion batteries overheating better gas mileage!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 05-22-10, 01:57 PM   #32
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy1 View Post
I've always experienced poorer fuel economy in the winter with all my cars. At one time I was wondering if part of the reason was the colder air being injected into the fuel mixture for ignition.

Colder air is denser, and more oxygenated. This means the computer has to compensate with more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the proper range.
That is also why cars generally make more power in cooler air.
Lil4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 02:59 PM   #33
ziggy1
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil4cyl View Post
Colder air is denser, and more oxygenated. This means the computer has to compensate with more fuel to keep the air fuel ratio in the proper range.
That is also why cars generally make more power in cooler air.
Thanks for the response. that makes sense and confirms my impressions.
ziggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 01:24 PM   #34
06i
Driver

hi guys,

is there a way for cdn cars to get the display in mpg? currently it displays L/100kms
tks
06i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 06:11 PM   #35
DunWkg
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06i View Post
hi guys,

is there a way for cdn cars to get the display in mpg? currently it displays L/100kms
tks
Not sure this will work for you or not.

Get in your car with your key fob.
No foot on brake pedal.
Turn your daylight running lights off.
Push the power button twice.
Holding the page icon on the steering wheel.
Rotate the light switch **** fully up and then down to off.
Your display may show the ECO setting choice.
Let go of page icon.
Flip the "enter" button down to the UNITS choices.
Press the "enter" button and toggle to the units you want.
Push "enter"
I should say Please Wait, while it saves.
Push the page icon when done.
Turn off or start car.

Disclaimer - I don't know if you will lose any saved mileage information or whether it changes units without info lost, nor do I know if this will even work in your car.

Good luck.

2012 RX450h
<a href=http://www.clublexus.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117250&dateline=1336740237 target=_blank>http://www.clublexus.com/forums/imag...ine=1336740237</a>
DunWkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 11:42 PM   #36
06i
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunWkg View Post
Not sure this will work for you or not.

Get in your car with your key fob.
No foot on brake pedal.
Turn your daylight running lights off.
Push the power button twice.
Holding the page icon on the steering wheel.
Rotate the light switch **** fully up and then down to off.
Your display may show the ECO setting choice.
Let go of page icon.
Flip the "enter" button down to the UNITS choices.
Press the "enter" button and toggle to the units you want.
Push "enter"
I should say Please Wait, while it saves.
Push the page icon when done.
Turn off or start car.

Disclaimer - I don't know if you will lose any saved mileage information or whether it changes units without info lost, nor do I know if this will even work in your car.

Good luck.
lol, are you trying to trick me? hehe, j/k will give it a try tomorrow (delivery day!) btw, is this in the manual?

tks!
Old 06-22-10, 12:04 AM   #37
RXSF

lol that is most certainly not in the owners manual. haha, where did you learn that?
Old 06-23-10, 04:49 AM   #38
DunWkg
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXSF View Post
lol that is most certainly not in the owners manual. haha, where did you learn that?
What you all don't sit in your car pushing buttons, flashing lights and looking for hidden menus? It's a carry over from looking for "Easter Eggs" on Apple Computers.

The best one of course is if you push the power button once, turn the stereo to SAT 1 channel 151, open the glove box twice, put the owner's manual on the passenger's seat, open the center console wide open, turn the left seat control to full heat and the right seat control to full cool, the navigation screen will show a photo slideshow of the Japanese worker who inspected the paint of the car while the stereo plays "Whoop! There It Is".

Took hours to find that one and finally figured it out when I placed the manual centered on the passenger's seat. The weight of the book triggers sensors in the seat!!

2012 RX450h
<a href=http://www.clublexus.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=117250&dateline=1336740237 target=_blank>http://www.clublexus.com/forums/imag...ine=1336740237</a>
DunWkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-10, 10:58 AM   #39
06i
Driver

does anyone drive with eco mode on all the time? the manual does say exactly what eco mode does and if it's ok to drive on all the time? anyone notice any increase in mpg with it on?

tks
Old 06-29-10, 11:18 AM   #40
sleepysurf
Driver

I tried 100% Eco mode with my last tank of gas, and got ~1.5 mpg better than standard mode (29 vs. 27.5 avg mpg). The tradeoff, as stated in the Owners Manual, is a somewhat throttled ECT and A/C output. Now, with 1500 miles on my 450h, I've decided I prefer the full powered acceleration when needed, and living in FL, the full A/C output is beneficial as well. I might switch back to Eco in the cooler months.
Old 07-01-10, 09:27 PM   #41
Fogcutter
Driver

Hanging in at 27.6 on regular. 30 in town, the 27.6 is my mix of town and highway. Cold weather hurts, and any fuel with ethanol really zaps the numbers, count on a 1-2 MPG loss.
Premium doesn't seem to matter. Last look at the odo said 13K or so.

That's in ECO mode.
Fogcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 05:58 AM   #42
sleepysurf
Driver

After 2000 miles (mixed city/hwy, and mixed ECO/STD mode), I'm up to 29.8 MPG. Ever since getting my car, I've been entering all fuel data into the "FillUps" app on my Palm Pre. At this point, the Lexus' cumulative AVG MPG correlates very closely to "FillUps" calculated mileage, but the Lexus "MPG's since last fill up" is usually off a bit. For those of you fretting over the latter number, I wouldn't worry about it too much, as it appears to be only a rough "snapshot" of current fuel consumption. The cumulative "AVG MPG" is a better number to watch.

BTW, I'm using Shell Premium (with 10% Ethanol)

Last edited by sleepysurf; 07-11-10 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: clarification on gas type
sleepysurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 10:59 AM   #43
Fogcutter
Driver

sleepysurf,

Try some non-ethanol fuel and let us know if you see a difference. I had to fuel up at WalMart and my MPG really took a hit. Heaven knows what's in that fuel. And it happened again at a Shell station with ethanol. Most of the Shell's in this area do not add ETOH. This one did and the mileage suffered, but that was regular.

Also, I have noticed some batch variations on mileage with different fill ups, as much as 2 MPG. Same grade, same brand, same station, same weather conditions -- better or worse mileage from tank to tank.

BTW -- I'm glad you are actually calculating your MPG over time to validate the onboard system. I keep intending to do that, but never seem to get around to it. Yes, I am lazy.
Old 07-11-10, 01:15 PM   #44
Cruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogcutter View Post
sleepysurf,

Try some non-ethanol fuel and let us know if you see a difference. I had to fuel up at WalMart and my MPG really took a hit. Heaven knows what's in that fuel. And it happened again at a Shell station with ethanol. Most of the Shell's in this area do not add ETOH. This one did and the mileage suffered, but that was regular.

Also, I have noticed some batch variations on mileage with different fill ups, as much as 2 MPG. Same grade, same brand, same station, same weather conditions -- better or worse mileage from tank to tank.

BTW -- I'm glad you are actually calculating your MPG over time to validate the onboard system. I keep intending to do that, but never seem to get around to it. Yes, I am lazy.
My on board system over time (about 3 months now) is showing 29.6). I mix back & forth between shell prem (93 octane here in GA) to Shell Plus 89 octane. I can't swear to it but I think it burns better than 93 which is overkill.

The label on the local Shell tanks here indicates up to 10% ethanol in the regular grade only which I don't burn. The dealer say's it's in all the grades but doesn't have the decals or other supporting info to prove it so who knows?

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 01:39 PM   #45
Fogcutter
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiter View Post

The label on the local Shell tanks here indicates up to 10% ethanol in the regular grade only which I don't burn. The dealer say's it's in all the grades but doesn't have the decals or other supporting info to prove it so who knows?[/FONT]

I think that could be some of my batch variation. They are supposed to label for ethanol, but the rules seem pretty lax. Also I've heard that even many branded stations buy from wholesalers, so there is no way to know what we are actually getting. Glad we're not drinking the stuff.
Old 07-11-10, 01:39 PM

Tags
0w20w, 250h, 450h, actual, cold, energy, gas, hybrid, lexus, lx450, mileage, monitor, mpg, oil, real, reduced, rx450h, turn, users, weather, whats, world