Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

450h in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 07:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
I checked into winter tires, and discovered that 19 inch wheels cost nearly $4K a set plus the cost of tires. Is it OK to have the all season tires removed and winter tires put on the alloy rims? I have 20k miles on the vehicle and plan to keep it 100K.

Thanks.
of course it's ok. it's whether or not it bothers you that the salt will corrode your oem finish (over time). if it does bother you, may i suggest you step down in size to a 17" snow tire package (steel rims + snow tires). at this wheel size, it should be a lot more affordable.

alternatively, you could go with cable chains (which i plan on putting on if the snow/ice gets really bad). you save alot of money and should be able to go almost anywhere as if you had winter tires installed. that's another option to consider. only downside with cable chains (that i know of) is that there is a maximum speed limit that you should not go over (60 kph or 37 mph). if you plan on driving fast in the winter, cable chains are not for you; get performance winter tires instead.

Last edited by Stormforge; 11-24-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-25-10, 07:16 AM
Fogcutter
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. We deal mainly with ice. Most days I can still drive 50+ MPH, so chains aren't good for me.

Spoke with the dealer -- he cautioned that the tire installer must take care not to ruin the tire pressure sensors. I've not dealt with that before, but a good installer should be able to pull that off OK.

So next week I'll buy a set of Blizzaks. On past vehicles (I had steel winter rims) winter vs four season tires yielded a 30% short stopping distance on ice.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-10, 05:23 PM
fredf42
Driver School Candidate

I was initially concerned about the 450h dunlops in the snow. Tirerack.com had one positive comment and one negative. The tires are too new I guess. They are a bit wider and a bit less tread depth that I would like. But I decided to hold off on getting snow tires this year since the tires are very new, only about 5K miles on the car heading into this winter. It was a good choice.

I can also say that the 450h with the Dunlops is a snow dog. I have had very few problems with the ice, snow (2 inches or 6 inches) or slush here in the Spokane area in the last 3 weeks. I had to hold down the traction control button for 3 seconds to turn of the hit-the-brakes-and-cut-the-throttle feature when the tires slip so I could dig through the hard-pack-turning-to-slush stuff we had here about 5 days ago. But that worked as advertised as well. I wish my sequoia had that feature, but no, cut the throttle just as I am trying to power through the berm at the end of the driveway...

I never tried the snow mode. It didn't seem necessary. It is really nice to feel so secure.

I am ready to try it under water! see #21
Old 12-05-10, 06:47 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

fred, too funny about the under water comment No snow here yet but that can change. Winter hasn't even started.

Glad the Dunlops performed well. I've had great luck with them too through snow and slush, up and down hills. I was pretty surprised since Michelins seems to get the popular vote here including in my book. But I would definitely recommend them.

I haven't used the snow mode in a long time. It's really not what people think it's cracked up to be. Even my sales guy said not to bother with it. I drove manual for many years so I know to take it easy when accelerating. It's just common sense. And make sure you have the right tires.
Old 12-06-10, 06:18 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It really sounds like there is no need for snow tires on the RX 450h. Thanks to everyone for their comments and contributions.
Old 12-11-10, 02:25 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
It really sounds like there is no need for snow tires on the RX 450h. Thanks to everyone for their comments and contributions.
My interest in winter tires arose from past experience -- on the worst ice winter tires yield about a 30% reduction in stopping distance -- saved my bacon on one occasion and I guess that made an impression.

Now that we've had some snow and ice this season, I'm finding the stock tires reasonably sure footed, enough so for me to relax. There is a perceptible lag for the rear wheels to engage in dynamic conditions, but this does not affect directional control. The lag vanishes in Hybrid Snow mode.

Turns out as of two days ago, every tire outlet in my sphere is sold out of winter tires for the season. Never encountered that before.

So I was interested in that extra edge winter tires offer, but events have conspired against me this season. Just have to tough it out.

Happy Holidays everyone -- thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-11-10, 02:56 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your input too Fogcutter, your comments are reassuring to say the least.
Old 12-11-10, 08:47 PM
Fogcutter
Driver

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Thanks for your input too Fogcutter, your comments are reassuring to say the least.

One last caveat -- running in Hybrid Snow 1) seems not to hurt mileage 2) does not cause undo drain on the battery. My guess is that the rear electrics pull very little even when engaged continuously. They certainly make for less slipping.
Old 12-12-10, 04:35 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fogcutter
One last caveat -- running in Hybrid Snow 1) seems not to hurt mileage 2) does not cause undo drain on the battery. My guess is that the rear electrics pull very little even when engaged continuously. They certainly make for less slipping.
Good to know. We're getting snow today so I should be able to test it out.
Old 09-05-11, 04:33 PM
tC350
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Hi all, I finally had a chance to drive the 450h with Dunlops in the snow yesterday. Work closed at noon because of the storm (20" and counting). The roads didn't look too bad so I decided to take the normal route home which includes an almost mile long hill with turns. By the time I got to the hill, the roads were not so nice - a few inches of wet snow compacted by tires, making it a little icy. I went for it anyway since the slope is long on the way down.

Going up was no problem but I had to take it slow/stop. An Isuzu Rodeo in front of me was fishtailing. The 450h handled it without a problem - no slipping, even in the turns. Fortunately Mr. Rodeo turned off the road. On the way down I used the sport mode to keep the speed in check. Again not even the slightest loss of control.

Overall I'm very happy the 450h did so well. I was concerned because the Dunlops were not my first choice. I'm very picky about my shoes and wanted the Michelins. But it turns out the Dunlops aren't so bad after all. And no, I didn't go out today to test them out some more. I have my limits.

It's hard to tell but here's a picture of the 450h after I got home. I easily backed it in through a foot high by three foot wide pile of wet snow at the end of the driveway. In addition to the front, the wheel wells were caked with slush. Next storm/test might be Wednesday.

I know this is an old thread and its about the RXh's performance in the snow but I couldn't help but notice that the LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt the snow off whereas the Halogen fogs do; just my observation.
Old 09-06-11, 05:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed the same thing with HID's. But if you put your hand over the H/Lamp casing you can feel the warmer temp. Weird. I guess running down the highway in below freezing temps makes the difference.

I used to have a BMW Motor Cycle R100RT and the headlamp cover had thin copper wires designed to warm the cover from the heat of the halogen lamp. But I never rode 'IT' in the snow .
Originally Posted by tC350
I know this is an old thread and its about the RXh's performance in the snow but I couldn't help but notice that the LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt the snow off whereas the Halogen fogs do; just my observation.
Old 09-06-11, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

That picture was taken after driving home 7" into a 30" blizzard. I don't think too many car's headlights would have been able to keep up with the amount of snow that was coming down. Temperature was not a factor as much as the weight of the snow. The 'heavier' it is, the more likely it is to stick. I had the pre-collision warning come on during a 'heavy' snow last year. It stuck to the grill like glue.
Old 09-06-11, 01:03 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anita
Even down here in Georgia, we had a few wet and large snows. I don't have the pre collision, but I had to turn off the parking senors. Was sticking to the bumper around them. Also the lower grill where I added your plastic gutter mesh to protect the A/C condenser.
Originally Posted by kitlz
That picture was taken after driving home 7" into a 30" blizzard. I don't think too many car's headlights would have been able to keep up with the amount of snow that was coming down. Temperature was not a factor as much as the weight of the snow. The 'heavier' it is, the more likely it is to stick. I had the pre-collision warning come on during a 'heavy' snow last year. It stuck to the grill like glue.
Old 02-18-14, 11:13 AM
mwasilew
Driver School Candidate

Default 450h in snow

Live in the NE and this winter has been bad with both snow and ice. if the snow is deep (>6") the car just stops and no matter how far you press on accelerator, there is no increase in either gas or electric power. In addition, if you back down a slippery hill, the ABS does not function in reverse and just locks the wheels... very disappointing and Lexus says "there are no codes, so it is functioning as designed. Sorry, it could not be designed to not engage ABS in reverse or limit the power if the vehicle slips too much...
Old 02-18-14, 01:39 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mwasilew
Live in the NE and this winter has been bad with both snow and ice. if the snow is deep (>6") the car just stops and no matter how far you press on accelerator, there is no increase in either gas or electric power. In addition, if you back down a slippery hill, the ABS does not function in reverse and just locks the wheels... very disappointing and Lexus says "there are no codes, so it is functioning as designed. Sorry, it could not be designed to not engage ABS in reverse or limit the power if the vehicle slips too much...
Your tires are not fit for the conditions. Consider changing them to a dedicated snow set if you plan to travel in >6" of snow. I have no such issues with mine.
Also, you can turn off trac control to let the tires dig into the snow to get to the pavement.

Quick Reply: 450h in the snow