Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Are Dealer Add-Ons worth the cost?

Old 01-17-10, 07:23 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Dealer Add-Ons worth the cost?

I have on order (to lease) a new 2010 Lexus 450h. It has just been delivered to the dealer for pre-delivery service, so I am confident that I will get it on the scheduled delivery date of January 27/10. It will be my first Lexus after owning 13 Audis over the last 25 years. The vehicle is black on black with the Ultra Premium package and all the other bells and whistles available to us in Canada. The dealer is trying to sell me the following, and I would be obliged to read the comments of other owners on the worth of the packages:

1. Safe Lease package
2. Extra Care Protection package
3.Vehicle Armour package
4. Lease Care package (paint sealant)
5. Key Replacement package
6. Family Protection package (i.e. term life insurance)
7. Accident/Health Protection package (more insurance)
8. Window Tint package (i.e. not including windshield or front seats as tinting those is unlawful in Ontario)

I have discarded the idea of the 2 insurance packages and think that the Vehicle Armour package contains some of the items in the other packages (e.g.Key Replacement).

I am rather dubious about all of them, but would appreciate the views of others. I have not indicated the prices, since I have to buy in Canada and the prices here are likely higher than in the U.S. Many thanks.

Last edited by oscqc; 01-17-10 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 08:54 PM
tnb1
Rookie

I would not get any of them.
Terry
Old 01-17-10, 09:18 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with Terry, sounds useless since it's a lease car.
Mine is not lease, and I am living in NYC, so I paid extra $1000 for pothole and ding package. This is an insurance package for the tires, wheels and door ding repairs for five years.
Old 01-18-10, 05:05 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oscqc
I have on order (to lease) a new 2010 Lexus 450h. It has just been delivered to the dealer for pre-delivery service, so I am confident that I will get it on the scheduled delivery date of January 27/10. It will be my first Lexus after owning 13 Audis over the last 25 years. The vehicle is black on black with the Ultra Premium package and all the other bells and whistles available to us in Canada. The dealer is trying to sell me the following, and I would be obliged to read the comments of other owners on the worth of the packages:

1. Safe Lease package
2. Extra Care Protection package
3.Vehicle Armour package
4. Lease Care package (paint sealant)
5. Key Replacement package
6. Family Protection package (i.e. term life insurance)
7. Accident/Health Protection package (more insurance)
8. Window Tint package (i.e. not including windshield or front seats as tinting those is unlawful in Ontario)

I have discarded the idea of the 2 insurance packages and think that the Vehicle Armour package contains some of the items in the other packages (e.g.Key Replacement).

I am rather dubious about all of them, but would appreciate the views of others. I have not indicated the prices, since I have to buy in Canada and the prices here are likely higher than in the U.S. Many thanks.
One of my two retirements is from the 'Retail' end of the car business here in the Atlanta market and I agree with the comments already posted. wyau01 posted that he bought a package to protect him from the hazards of living in the NYC area. I've not heard of that one but it sounds like a reasonable price for that package but not anything else. It's almost always cheaper if you are your own insurance company in these matters. They are in it for a business to make money. Think on it.

I'm curious tho as to why part of what you quoted is for windows that are already tinted. There is good tint on the w/s and front windows and dark factory tint on all others as standard equipment.
Old 01-18-10, 06:33 PM
oscqc
Rookie

Cruiter:

Thank you for your response to my query.

Apparently, the 2010 RX 450h sold in Canada does not come with tinted glass, except the front windshield. It is unlawful in Ontario to tint the glass in the front doors - likely for the protection of police, I suspect. The only package I am tempted to purchase from the dealer is the tint for the other windows, if and only if I can beat them down from the asking price of C$ 299.00.

Best wishes,
Old 01-18-10, 06:41 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

considering its a lease car and you'll end up probably returning the car to the dealership after the lease ends (the majority always do), i say steer clear of any add-ons. if this was a car for purchase and you wanted to modify it for your personal preference, then i'd say yes (you can even find aftermarket places to do stuff like tint and car protection products).
Old 01-28-10, 09:21 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what? no tinted side windows? the side windows should be factory tinted. mine is.

and i agree with the others, all the other stuff is junk. if you want tinted side windows, find a reputable tint shop to do it. guaranteed to be much cheaper than what the dealer would charge.

however, considering you are in ON, i would recommend that you do aftermarket rust protection, due to the amount of salt and de-icers your province uses on the roads.

Last edited by Stormforge; 01-28-10 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 12:36 AM
oscqc
Rookie

Default Tinted winows

Thanks for your comments. I now have the new vehicle and you are correct. The rear side windows and the back window are tinted but the two front door windows are not. I realize that some people get these tinted (the dealer was asking C$199 to do it) but I am convinced that S.74 of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act prohibits this, though I agree that the wording is a little vague. As a former Police Commissioner, I think the underlying reason for the ban is police officer safety, of which I am obviously in favour.