Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Decided to give GS another try

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 11:12 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided to give GS another try

My 2007 GS 450h lease ends in January, and I've been looking for another car to replace it. I would have loved to keep my car if it wasn't for the fact that its value dropped $10K due to a severe accident, and that it is full of rattles squeaks and creaks (most pre-dating the accident).

After driving pretty much every luxury and near-luxury car in the $35K to $75K range I was totally exhausted and only found one great car: 2010 Audi A6 with 3.0T supercharged engine. That baby is fun to drive, powerful, and is now reasonably priced (may even be considered cheap).

However, I kept coming back to my GS450h as the most powerful and smooth (due to CVT) car of the bunch. I also love some of its features that are either not available on other cars, or are available as part of ridiculously expensive options packages:

1. The steering wheel that quickly gets out of the way when I stop the engine.

2. Push button start.

3. Intuitive parking assist with front and rear sensors and camera -- nothing like that was available on other cars I drove.

4. High Occupancy Lanes exemption for certain hybrids in Virginia.

So after I learned that the 2010 GS450h actually had some improvements -- new navigation for example -- I spoke to a few dealers and ended up ordering one today. Starting with 2010 model year GS is only available for special order, but at least you can get it any way you want. I got a great deal I believe -- $1,000 over invoice.

What's most important is that they have now made Bluetooth, parking assist, rearview camera, iPod integration, and XM satellite radio standard on the base GS 450h, I did not have to order the Navigation system or the horribly overpriced Mark Levinson system. I listened to the standard audio system, and it was perfectly fine. By saving $1,665 on the Navigation and over $300 on each map update, I can buy a new top-of-the-line Garmin portable Navi every year, AND I would be able to use it while I drive!

My only hope is that in 3 years since the car came out they have been able to work out all or most of the kinks leading to rattles, creaks and squeaks.
Old 10-13-09, 11:05 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
My 2007 GS 450h lease ends in January, and I've been looking for another car to replace it. I would have loved to keep my car if it wasn't for the fact that its value dropped $10K due to a severe accident, and that it is full of rattles squeaks and creaks (most pre-dating the accident).

After driving pretty much every luxury and near-luxury car in the $35K to $75K range I was totally exhausted and only found one great car: 2010 Audi A6 with 3.0T supercharged engine. That baby is fun to drive, powerful, and is now reasonably priced (may even be considered cheap).

However, I kept coming back to my GS450h as the most powerful and smooth (due to CVT) car of the bunch. I also love some of its features that are either not available on other cars, or are available as part of ridiculously expensive options packages:

1. The steering wheel that quickly gets out of the way when I stop the engine.

2. Push button start.

3. Intuitive parking assist with front and rear sensors and camera -- nothing like that was available on other cars I drove.

4. High Occupancy Lanes exemption for certain hybrids in Virginia.

So after I learned that the 2010 GS450h actually had some improvements -- new navigation for example -- I spoke to a few dealers and ended up ordering one today. Starting with 2010 model year GS is only available for special order, but at least you can get it any way you want. I got a great deal I believe -- $1,000 over invoice.

What's most important is that they have now made Bluetooth, parking assist, rearview camera, iPod integration, and XM satellite radio standard on the base GS 450h, I did not have to order the Navigation system or the horribly overpriced Mark Levinson system. I listened to the standard audio system, and it was perfectly fine. By saving $1,665 on the Navigation and over $300 on each map update, I can buy a new top-of-the-line Garmin portable Navi every year, AND I would be able to use it while I drive!

My only hope is that in 3 years since the car came out they have been able to work out all or most of the kinks leading to rattles, creaks and squeaks.
congrats. you will have better luck 2nd time around.
Old 10-16-09, 03:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 2010 GS will be nice. The rattles and noises are much improved but not 100% gone on my 2008.

I would suggest you check out the Infiniti M56 too.