Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2" reciever hitch--450h

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 04:50 PM
kopy kat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" reciever hitch--450h

has anyone attached a standard 2" reciever hitch to a 2010 model 450h yet? I'm not towing anything, but my bike rack mounts this way. Any advice, pictures or prices would be appreciated.

thanks, Larry
Old 09-09-09, 06:49 PM
tnb1
Rookie

Default Dealer Installed Hitch

Originally Posted by kopy kat
has anyone attached a standard 2" reciever hitch to a 2010 model 450h yet? I'm not towing anything, but my bike rack mounts this way. Any advice, pictures or prices would be appreciated.

thanks, Larry
Here are pix of my dealer installed hitch on AWD 450h.
Terry
Attached Thumbnails 2" reciever hitch--450h-hitch3.jpg   2" reciever hitch--450h-hitch2.jpg   2" reciever hitch--450h-hitch.jpg  

Last edited by tnb1; 09-09-09 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 08:51 PM
hensta
Driver School Candidate

That is a very clean and well-hidden trailer hitch install. Thanks for the pictures.

Can you describe the last picture? Is part of the fascia cut out to make room for an electrical attachment?
Old 09-10-09, 08:35 AM
tnb1
Rookie

Originally Posted by hensta
That is a very clean and well-hidden trailer hitch install. Thanks for the pictures.

Can you describe the last picture? Is part of the fascia cut out to make room for an electrical attachment?
Yes the dealer cut the fascia. It can't be seen unless you get under the car. The car has the towing prep package option.
Terry
Old 09-14-09, 11:02 AM
kopy kat
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply and pics. Is this something you'd like to try to install yourself? The stealership wants $550 + installation for the Lexus hitch. Go figure.

Larry
Old 09-15-09, 12:48 PM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

Looking for a hitch myself. A previous thread reccomended TheHitchStore and the Curt hitch, but they don't show one being available for the 450h.
Old 09-15-09, 03:04 PM
tnb1
Rookie

Originally Posted by kopy kat
thanks for the reply and pics. Is this something you'd like to try to install yourself? The stealership wants $550 + installation for the Lexus hitch. Go figure.

Larry
The dealer installed the hitch at my request at no charge before I picked it up. I also had them change out the tires to Michelins at no charge. I paid MSRP. It was the first AWD they had.
Terry
Old 09-18-09, 07:05 AM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

I talked with Curt Manufacturing today, the guy on the phone said they have a new hitch part for the rx 450h, and it's starting to go out to warehouses now. Check back around the 28th and their web pages should be updated, and the part should be available.

The part number for the hitch will be: 13541
Old 09-22-09, 09:22 PM
wraithmojo
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a hitch from etrailer.com and installed it rather easily myself. You do have to cut the fascia in two places but if done correctly you really can't see it without looking directly underneath... and even then it's not that noticable (I cut off a little less than the instructions recommended and made it rather snug). The hitch brand is 'Hidden Hitch' and it was around $150 shipped... much better than the dealership! :^)
Old 10-03-09, 08:54 AM
dennison17
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer wanted $1000. I went to a local (and renound) store called TL Central and they installed for $500.

http://www.tlcentral.com/store/pc/home.asp

Apparently they have installed many of these on the 2010 RX models. In fact, I understand the dealer just sends them the cars for install when the dealer is too busy. Hmmm

You do have to cut the Facia and I was freakin about that, but as others have said it's no big deal.... can't see anything except a very, very clean job. All is fairly well hidden and looks terrific. (Mine is for a bike rack too.)
Old 10-07-09, 09:34 AM
ebarron
Driver School Candidate

I installed the Curt 13541 over the weekend. The instructions came with detailed color pictures of a 2010 lexus hybrid.. and the install was pretty straight forward. For $160 bucks it's certainly worth doing yourself.
Old 10-12-09, 03:16 PM
avam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ebarron
I installed the Curt 13541 over the weekend. The instructions came with detailed color pictures of a 2010 lexus hybrid.. and the install was pretty straight forward. For $160 bucks it's certainly worth doing yourself.
Any chance you could post some pictures of your install? Did you have to do any trimming?

Edit: I found the Curt Mfg installation instructions. They seem to be pretty thorough and much better than etrailers instructions.

Last edited by avam; 10-12-09 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 04:10 AM
ironring
Driver School Candidate

Were you able to find a hitch for your GS450h? If so, where? Thanks
Old 05-31-10, 08:02 AM
mdv
Driver School Candidate

I install the Factory hitch. It was pretty easy to install and took about 2 hours. The only hard part was really need two people to take rear bumper off and put back on. Otherwise pretty straight forward job and the instructions that come with it are very good. The aftermarket hitch do not compare to the quality and fit of the factory hitch. Like they say you get what you pay for.
Old 05-31-10, 09:12 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdv
I install the Factory hitch. It was pretty easy to install and took about 2 hours. The only hard part was really need two people to take rear bumper off and put back on. Otherwise pretty straight forward job and the instructions that come with it are very good. The aftermarket hitch do not compare to the quality and fit of the factory hitch. Like they say you get what you pay for.
May I ask how much and where? I would like to get one as well.

Quick Reply: 2" reciever hitch--450h