Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

GPS Keeps Getting Lost

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 01:01 PM
lazabby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Keeps Getting Lost

I have the '06 RX 400h. My GPS seems to work okay for a couple of days and then it gets lost. Today it happened while on back roads that were not on the map. Recently it moved a few hundred miles away. I'm continually having to recalibrate the location. What is causing this? i have a Tomtom and once it gets connected to a satellite, it locates the map according to its location. What's going on with my GPS in the vehicle and how do I fix it?
Old 08-11-09, 01:18 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you had new tires recently? There is a screen in the NAV setup somewhere that has button you must push when putting new tires on. I don't quite know why but the GPS system uses tire rotation in some of it's calculations. The diameter of the tire will be slightly greater with new tires and the system needs to account for this. Check your NAV manual on page 80.

Yet another reason my $300 GARMIN is a better system.
Old 08-11-09, 01:22 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it could be the GPS antenna, I know I have similar issue but not as drastic, I see my car off road quite a few times then it jumps back on. I don't see any tall buildings around to block signals so I gather it's the antenna too far in and not able to get good signal. I myself have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 with Z3 maps and features loaded in as well as tons of accessories with the AVIC from my previous car. So I will install that later this year
Old 08-11-09, 01:51 PM
lazabby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcy
Have you had new tires recently? There is a screen in the NAV setup somewhere that has button you must push when putting new tires on. I don't quite know why but the GPS system uses tire rotation in some of it's calculations. The diameter of the tire will be slightly greater with new tires and the system needs to account for this. Check your NAV manual on page 80.

Yet another reason my $300 GARMIN is a better system.
As far as I know I still have the original times. I just got the vehicle a little over a week ago. Still, with a GPS it should know exactly where it is and correspond that position with its internal maps.
Old 08-14-09, 12:53 PM
AdioKIP
Driver

lazaby, I am having the same issue. Have you gotten yours corrected. Lexus is saying that its due to me having the original DVD which was later replaced but since I'm past 50k miles they wouldnt replace it for free. Next month a new one comes out, that is lower priced then the current ones.
Old 08-14-09, 01:03 PM
lazabby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdioKIP
lazaby, I am having the same issue. Have you gotten yours corrected. Lexus is saying that its due to me having the original DVD which was later replaced but since I'm past 50k miles they wouldnt replace it for free. Next month a new one comes out, that is lower priced then the current ones.
I'm still having the same issue. I can't believe it would have to do with the original DVD which I apparently have as the GPS sometimes gets lost on the highway even when I haven't left the highway! Or the maps shows I'm going the opposite direction than I'm actually going.
Old 08-14-09, 10:45 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Hi guys, this has happened to me multiple times, and the dealer had to help me recalibrate it everytime, so then they just replaced with a newer DVD for my navigation system. So it's all updated now, and has never happened ever since it was replaced. Hope this helps!

-LEXveryG8
Old 08-15-09, 02:57 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had this happen on our 2007 RX350 a few years ago. The dealer had to replace and update the software/DVD for the GPS. Like you, I was skeptical that out of nowhere an issue like this would pop up but it did pop up for us.

Since we got the new software/DVD we haven't had the issue at all.

One thing that disappointed me greatly with this 'correction' however, is that they updated the software to the next version update for the GPS and it removed the option of using the override to let my wife input addresses while I drive. I don't need to be able to manually enter addresses - I like to keep my eye on the road! However, if we are in a new area or want to look for something the updated Nav necessitates that we pull over for safety.

Just thought I'd mention it. In the overall scheme of things - a working and accurate GPS is much more important than the ability to enter an address on very rare occassions so it was a good trade off. Thought it was worth mentioning though.

Good luck!

Jay